Oil pressure fluctuations under high-G left turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure fluctuations under high-G left turns

I'm seeing some oil pressure fluctuations in left-hand sweepers. Oil pressure doesn't drop to zero but you can see the needle flick down a few times. It's the rightmost gauge, in the middle of the dash:

This is an LQ1 with the stock pan and a welded pickup tube. I typically fill it 1 quart over. However, I suck up a lot of oil with my current breather system so it could be anywhere between full and 1 quart over during this video.

i talked to Chris West at West Coast Fiero and he had the same problem when tracking his Fiero which used to have an LQ1 in it. He added some baffles and trapdoors to the pan. There used to be pics up on the Fieros West club page on Hemmings but that site is long gone. If Chris West can still find the pics I'll post them here when/if I get them.

Just wondering if anyone else has done so, and if they have any pics.

isn't the LQ1 pan already somewhat baffled?

either way, maybe another half quart? from what i understand, the LQ1 oil pump can pump a lot of volume, perhaps a lot of the oil is stuck up in the cam carriers and not draining back?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post

either way, maybe another half quart? from what i understand, the LQ1 oil pump can pump a lot of volume, perhaps a lot of the oil is stuck up in the cam carriers and not draining back?
      The oil consumption rapidly increases if I add more than a quart. Even at one quart I'll lose half a quart during a track session. It ends up coming out through the breather system. Consumption goes way down after the oil level drops to the normal "full" level.

If you fill the oil pan to the correct level and tilt the front end (harmonic balancer end) 50 degrees down, where the oil settles is how it will be in a long 1.2 G left sweeper.

The thing about the LQ1 pump "emptying the pan" is a rumor perpetuated by a certain individual and has been repeated without any evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post

Somewhat, but not much.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
        X