Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project - '94 Grand Prix GTP

Hey guys,

New to the forum - Just picked up a new project which is a '94 Grand Prix GTP - has the 3.4L DOHC. I currently drive a '96 Grand Prix with the 3100, and have wanted a 3.4L for a long time.

I picked up the '94 just a few days ago for just about nothing - and it's actually in really good shape. Right around 110ks on her, it runs (not well yet, but I have confidence once I do some plugs it will run well). The reason I got the rig for cheap is the ABS unit is supposedly out. ABS light is on and nearly no brake pedal.

3 questions:

1. My '96 GP has no ABS - how simple is swapping the non-ABS to the '94? Is it just master cylinder?

2. What are some simple performance improvements for these 3.4L? I was thinking perhaps turbo - but before doing something that major, what direction should I head in? Aftermarket ECU? (Better) Super coil/coilpacks?

3. Has anyone had any luck with emissions bypass? No emissions regulation in the state I'm in.

Pics:
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Thanks guys,
    -GMforever
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GMforever; 04-06-2016, 01:26 PM. Reason: pictures added

Originally posted by GMforever View Post
    I picked up the '94 just a few days ago for just about nothing - and it's actually in really good shape. Right around 110ks on her, it runs (not well yet, but I have confidence once I do some plugs it will run well).
    Kinda depends on whether the plugs are the problem.

The reason I got the rig for cheap is the ABS unit is supposedly out. ABS light is on and nearly no brake pedal.

3 questions:

1. My '96 GP has no ABS - how simple is swapping the non-ABS to the '94? Is it just master cylinder?
    How about just fixing the ABS? Might be as simple as splicing in a section of clean wire from one of the wheel sensors. Or a fuse. "Nearly no brake pedal" sounds like air in the system. When was the last time the park brake was used? Put a scan tool on that car, and find out WHY the light is on.

While you have the scan tool connected, you'll maybe learn why the engine is unhappy.

2. What are some simple performance improvements for these 3.4L? I was thinking perhaps turbo - but before doing something that major, what direction should I head in? Aftermarket ECU? (Better) Super coil/coilpacks?
    There are no simple "performance improvements". There's nothing wrong with the OEM coil pack design.

3. Has anyone had any luck with emissions bypass? No emissions regulation in the state I'm in.
    Emissions requirements are Federal, not State. Of course there are emissions regulations where you're at. What you may not have is emissions INSPECTIONS.

Doesn't matter, "emissions bypass" isn't going to gain you more power.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Schurkey View Post
      Kinda depends on whether the plugs are the problem.

How about just fixing the ABS? Might be as simple as splicing in a section of clean wire from one of the wheel sensors. Or a fuse. "Nearly no brake pedal" sounds like air in the system. When was the last time the park brake was used? Put a scan tool on that car, and find out WHY the light is on.

While you have the scan tool connected, you'll maybe learn why the engine is unhappy.

There are no simple "performance improvements". There's nothing wrong with the OEM coil pack design.

Emissions requirements are Federal, not State. Of course there are emissions regulations where you're at. What you may not have is emissions INSPECTIONS.

Doesn't matter, "emissions bypass" isn't going to gain you more power.

Schurkey -

Already fairly certain the plugs are the problem, but thanks for your input.

1. The car has already been diagnosed with a bad ABS Module - You're correct though, I could double check the diagnosis. If it does end up being the ABS module though, sourcing it is an act of congress. None of the local auto part places can even order it, and finding one of these grand prix (Any of the pre '97s, at least in the area I am in) is not very likely. Would anyone happen to know if my '94 shares a ABS module with another car?

2. So no one has ever had improved performance from an aftermarket ECU? you'd think you'd be able to improve on a 20 year old computer with today tech. I've seen people have large success with aftermarket ECUs when adding turbos and such to be able to adjust fuel/air mixtures - I was just curious if there was any potential with N/A cars.

3. Yea, okay, inspections.

Thanks for your help,
      -GM

Comment

Working...
      X