No announcement yet.

spark plug thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went from .045 to .055 when I had the MSD DIS-4, and it idled better. That was about it. I went to .070 once and that did nothing as well. I wouldn't go that far though because the more resistance you put in firing, the faster your coil packs will jump ship.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

My dad's F150 came with all Motorcraft Platinum tipooed plugs stock. I haven't changed a lot of plugs on Fords, but I can't understand why they would do a setup like that. When you get right down to it, the ignition system is the same as a GM DIS in most areas. That's a mystery.
      I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

ah yeah i missed a 0 there. going from a stock gap of.035 to .040 or .045 resulted in a pretty big performance gain. But dodge usually has very conservative plug gaps, so the gain would probably be less on an engine that starts out with a larger stock gap.

Comment

I like the Ford V-10. One coil on top of each plug. Just imagine the cost if all of your coils took a shit at the same time, lol.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Saturns are like that too. The new 3.6 DOHC is like that as well I believe.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

coils run you about $100 a piece, they go out all the time in F150s. Ford uses coil on plug in just about everything now, 4.6, 5.4, V10, 3.0 duratec, etc.

1989 CS 5 speed
              1992 Z34 5 speed
              1992 Grand Prix SE
              1990 Jeep Wagoneer
              1977 Pontiac Ventura

Comment

4.6, eeew. I hate that engine. I have heard a few things about it. Bad ring design (most Crown Vic's around here with it are looking like the start of the mid 80's Dodge mini-vans), can't take more then about 8 psi of boost, and a couple of other things.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

All of Gm's Vortech engines have the coil on plug design. it looks really nice but yeah i think the coils are like 120 a piece also.

James
                  95 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

In my geology class we just studied Iridium, anyways, people dont know how rare iridium actually is. Iridium isn't found normally on earth, it is only found on asteroids. So the only places iridium can be found is where asteroids hit earth.
                    -Jay

Comment

Incorrect

My 97 GMC 5.7 Vortec is the old design. COP was not standard until 99 I believe.

Originally posted by jamesjaz
                      All of Gm's Vortech engines have the coil on plug design. it looks really nice but yeah i think the coils are like 120 a piece also.

James

Comment

Originally posted by blown94sc
                        Incorrect

My 97 GMC 5.7 Vortec is the old design. COP was not standard until 99 I believe.

Originally posted by jamesjaz

James

ok sorry all of the newer gm vortec's are cop.

lol

James
                        95 Grand Prix GTP

Comment

Working...
                        X