Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed tranny

Newbie here on this board, i have a couple questions:

1. I was just curious to know what kind of nightmare it would be to swap a 5 speed tranny into my grand prix. ie-tranny, clutch, flywheel, mount, axle shafts, wiring, ecm, shifter, shifter linkage, and pedals.

Has anyone done this? what and where can i get these parts? junkyard? what parts are the same off other fwd gm vehicles?

2. Lower engine mount. Does anyone make a solid mount to replace that damn 90 dollar liquid mount. Im sick of replacing it. If so, can someone direct me to one.

Whatever help you guys can give to me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    Yup, im on my sixth tranny!

the year of your car will help A LOT
    Robby Whitesell
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT
    1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

Im sorry, its a 93.

Comment

The reason the year helps is b/c 93 was the last year a manual was used in a W-body, so there is still a hole in firewall for the clutch pedal, and the wiring is much easier. Yes it can be done. You have to drill out a hole in the firewall near where the downpipe is for your shifter linkage, and you can use the hole where the auto shifter linkage is to put in your clutch maser cylinder. I could go into more detail, but pics help a lot, so check out www.turboste.com He has a nice write up on a 5spd in stall coupled with a turbo 3.1L swap
        Robby Whitesell
        2006 Pontiac G6 GT
        1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

There are a few ppl. that have done the 5spd swap on here, and its not an easy project to undertake.

Parts needed for the 5 speed swap:
          1. clutch pedal
          2. brake pedal (or cut the end off your auto)
          3. master cylinder
          4. slave cylinder (284 only)
          5. hose to go between above 2
          6. clutch starter switch
          7. clutch cruise cut out switch
          8. transmission
          9. clutch (284 only)
          10. flywheel
          11. trans mount (284 only)
          12. passenger side mount bracket (2 pieces) (284 only)
          13. axels (284 only)
          14. tail shaft to engine bracket
          15. shifter
          16. shifter boot
          17. shifter cables (284 only)
          18. clutch overflow reservoir
          19. throw out bearing

Im not 100% sure this list is complete, so take it as you will.

Comment

Yeah, the best bet is to find a complete donor car with all those things already on it, then swap them all over, that way you know you have it all
            Robby Whitesell
            2006 Pontiac G6 GT
            1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

For the engine mount I know when I went to replace mine advanced auto carried a solid mount, but the bad side is ur car will vibrate more.

1992 Lumina Z34 | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Getrag 284 |
              1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E |

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys! i appreciate it. Soon im gonna pull the engine to reseal it and i figured if i can find a the parts necessary, i would like to put a 5speed in it while i have it all apartat my shop.
                As for the solid mount, I dont care about vibrations i actually prefer it.

Comment

You also need the plate that the brake booster is mounted too (the one that the clutch master cyl. goes through), or just use a dremel to make the hole the right stop sign shape. Don't ask me how I know that can be done.....
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                  X