X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car feel like i thas no power.....

I dunno maybe i am used to my 00.....
    But off the line just SUCKS, some time i get a quick hesitation ( cant even spin tires in the rain )really has no power band...i swear my gramps 83 accord with 85 hp is faster.....

what was done is new head gaskets, intake, all gaskets needed for new head gaskets and new timing belt ......and Bosch Platnium regular plugs......

Car has 83k miles on it........what else is there to do besides gm top engine cleaner...or are the bosch plugs really killing the car....
    -2000 GTP - 332/426
    -94 GTP - Stock, But needs new:
    Door, Steeringwheel, fender, windshield and window for new door, and power steering line.

well i hear very bad things about bosch plugs in these engines, and i never had any luck with them either in my other cars.and your timing might be off a little bit too because my brothers 91 gtp in the rain will spin them up to 160km/h no problem, actually im sure i could pin the speedo right down if i wanted to but i dont wanna blow his 3rd tranny. i know the timing being off a little will rob alot of power. but as for spining them on dry pavement most stock 3.4L dohc's with autos wont do it. and for your powerband when you hit 3500rpm you should really feel it kick in cuz it will set you back in your seat and tap the redline pretty quick.

Jake
    GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

ya its hard to get the rpms that high onlyu time i can really do it is from a 25 wot.....btw what is the highest speed i can drop down into 1st gear
      -2000 GTP - 332/426
      Door, Steeringwheel, fender, windshield and window for new door, and power steering line.

Comment

Your 3.4L should feel near the 3.8SC in terms of in the seat power. Not as much, but not too far behind.

The 25mph kick down to first is normal, I'd say it might do it at 30, but that isn't a problem I don't think.

On dry pavement most 3.4L autos will chirp, but that is it. And getting to 3500 takes a little while, but once there they start pulling nicely. Any SES lights?

Comment

no ses lights....the power is no were near the power of even a 3.8 n/a....another thing when i get on it it is roughgt as hell
          -2000 GTP - 332/426

Comment

Yah it should walk a N/A 3.8 from a roll.

I can't tell you, but by comparison the 3.4s that i have driven that ran fast, were generally really smooth as well, not rough at all. So I bet both of your problems(rough and powerless) go hand in hand.

Without a SES it is really weird. there are things you can change just for the good of doing so, but I can't tell you how much they will help or not. O2 sensor, coils, wires, plugs, etc.

Comment

your cam timing is off, take it back tot he shop and tell them to fix it.
              3.4 DOHC- 95 engine, custom intake manifold, custom cams, ported exhaust manifolds, Turbonetics T-62, Haltech standalone, 13.5 psi, air/h20 intercooler... yadda yadda...
              1987 Fiero, ST lowering springs, KYB's, Clutchnet dual diaphragm 6-puck, custom paint, 18's with falken fk452 225 front Nitto NT05 245 rear. Should be around 450whp...

Comment

The "For What It Is Worth" department...I would vote for timing here. (or a bad cat) I run Bosch Plat 4s and do not have any problems. Smooth as silk, and a little bit more than a chirp. Not a smoker, but it does break loose. And I run stock for the most part. I am attributing this to the weight the W Body has and the 60s we run. Just my 2 cents.
                If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
                sigpic

Comment

my 2004 3.4 impala with ported intake and 65mm tb will leave rubber on dry pavement.
                  before i did the above mentioned work my car would shift at 5200, now it shifts at 6000
                  wot. what is the actual redline of a 3.4 stock engine. to be honest i could get rubber without
                  the mods. however my tach never went passed 5200 until the mod. i don't know what that translates to
                  in hp but i would sure like to know .
                  Last edited by ninjaguinea; 02-16-2010, 08:54 PM.

Comment

i am far from a mechanic, but do you have any codes that may tell you what is wrong
                    i purchased a simple scanner for 60 bucks that tells me what the computer sees. i erase the code and if it comes back after driving awhile. then you know, cam position sensor, crank position sensor, blah, blah, blah.

Comment

lacks power? rough? Check that ignition system, this smells like a misfire to me. As for the Bosch plugs slam, my experience tells me otherwise and I've twisted quite a few plugs in and out of almost everything in the past twenty seven years. Did ya'll re-confirm cam timing yet? What about plug wire firing order?
                      Last edited by 86FieroSEv6; 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

Wow, if the title fits...
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I agree, I would start with a set of NGK's or ACDelco plugs... If its still sluggish then i would double check the cam timing as mentioned above... Not a fan of Bosh plugs and heard plenty of people having problems with them and the GM DIS....

S
                          Shane "RedZMonte"
                          2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                          1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                          -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                          2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                          1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                          1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                          1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                          1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

What I have found is that the DIS system mainly needs the electrodes to be of similar metals. I have had some issues with running single platinum, but that went away when using double platinum. My old Beretta GT ran best on a set of medium heat range copper core Bosch plugs. It had a nice cam and some roller tip rockers with stock programming. Don't forget to confirm that you have adequate fire from all of the coil terminals.

If you ain't rock and roll, you must be driving a Honda

Comment

I'm not trying to be a butthole, but you guys should check post dates, hence my title comment for ninjaguinea. If Toofastgtp hasn't gotten this problem whooped, he might want to get a different car. Otherwise I would mention top engine cleaner and a new set of plugs (not Bosch) and O2 sensor in that order. And if that didn't clear it up I would move on to checking cam timing.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X