Camshafts and Lifters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshafts and Lifters?

Hey people in the know. I know that I can get a regrind of my cams from Steve Long. But they are asking me for the #s and I have no damn idea what to tell them to grind, are there are links to people that have done this already so I could see what they did for grind #s?
    Also, valve springs. Since we can use the LS series #130lbs of beehives in the NA heads can we not use these same valve springs in the DOHC? Thoughts on the Springs?
    I dont know what this means but "ASS HATS" is funny

Wild-ass Guess: Not enough room for LS valve springs in the 4-valve head.

^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Schurkey View Post
      Wild-ass Guess: Not enough room for LS valve springs in the 4-valve head.
      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
      - Ben

Comment

Wild ass answer. Have you ever seen a set of heads side by side before? Most likely not. Well there seems to be more tools here then help.

Comment

Wild ass answer. Have you ever seen a set of heads side by side before? Most likely not. Well there seems to be more tools here then help.

Comment

I had a set of cams from a 95 Z34 reground by Steve Long. I am using the lightweight lifters from WOT-Tech. I had the factory springs shimmed by the head rebuilder. I really don't know if I will have trouble or not, I don't have a valve spring tester, and the car this is going into is a race car, and my partner is very impatient and confused by numbers. So the work was just done during they day without any real analysis. If your having cams done, you are going to have to measure the installed height of the springs, spring seat diameter, and know valve lift, and talk to a valve spring company about your options, if you think you need knew springs. Light parts help, I'm hoping that shimming, and lighter lifters help avoid float on my application. I haven't run my motor yet. I am having issues getting the parts for my ECU to run OSE12P.

I know other Fiero people have run milder grinds on factory springs and lifters without issue.
            Something cool coming soon...

96 LQ1!

Comment

The only springs I know of that work well are #125 on the seat and #200 at .400" lift. Coil bind at .950. Not sure what the factory springs for the application are rated at, but I have a set of those sitting here but no tester. Have to use a modified valve spring seat, stock LQ1 seal, stock keepers, and new retainers.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I would be willimg to test. The engine is currently sitting on a pallet on the floor. It would be easy to install. I plan on putting it on an engine dyno next month. It would be a good reason to install head studs at the same time.

96 LQ1!

Comment

No need to test, this is already proven. OldSkoolGP had these and the lightweight lifters in his road course 5 speed Grand Prix. I added them to the store with the information on what is needed to make it work. Also added head studs and information on them (pic is not of the actual set on those) to the 3.4 DOHC section.
                  Performance, Maintenance, 2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3500, 3900, 3.4 DOHC, 3100, 3400, WOT-Tech, Heads, cylinder heads, chips, performance chips, 60v6, 60degreev6, 60degreev6.com, engine build, racing
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I see, I misunderstood what you meant by tester.
                    When I was looking at the Comp Cams master catalog it was those 3 valve mod motor springs and the 4 valve Mod motor springs, 26123.
                    -The Comp 26123 would be around 67lb at the seat (1.400), but its higher rate would be 193lb open pressure (.390lift) with my cams, bind is at .500" lift.
                    -The Comp 26113 would be around 125lb at the seat (1.400), but its lower rate would be 200lb open pressure (.390lift) with my cams, bind is at .448" lift.
                    I wonder which one is lighter. My software is favoring the 26113 for dynamics. I need to weight the valves to get a better estimate of mass. I'm guessing based of SBC weights minus a few at this time. And I'm using 48g for the lifters, I think those are the weights of the ones I bought from you two years ago.
                    Ti retainers being available is nice too. Can you source those with the springs?
                    The only way I would reap the benefit of the studs I think would be if I get some MLS gaskets.

96 LQ1!

Comment

Yes, I can get the retainers with the spring. It makes more sense to get them individually, so I will update the listing, and add the retainer options to the store. Looks like $120 for steel, $336 for titanium. O ring the block if you need it. MLS is going to be big dollars and O ringing is arguably better. The head studs are certainly going to increase clamping force. On the springs, you could shim them if you want them even stiffer. The added room before coilbind means the spring isn't getting stressed as much either. If I had a cam pro plus type of file for dynomation, I could give you a better idea of the spring. Valve weights are a huge improvement over a SBC weight. How much do you have for a SBC weight? My scale needs to be recalibrated or I would ge the LQ1 valve weight again but I would bet that I posted them at some point on this forum.

My biggest concern with the cam regrinds was the hydraulic lifter preload. Are you shaving the cam carrier, or using a shim under the bucket?
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

As far as the cam regrind. Fieromadman many years ago verified that stock lifters remained in contact when on the base circle with plastigage. His cams where a milder regrind. All i did was verify that the lifter has no clearance on all the cam lobes when on the base circle. I havent used any lash caps with mine. When its time to pull them apart again I can measure the lobe dimensions, and look closely at the lifters. I think i tossed my stock lifters, but I do have the stock 96 cams amd carriers.

Shaving the cam carriers would alter the geometry and put the valve tips off center on the lifters. It then needs to be verified that the tip sits on the lifter lash plunger still.

Guesses at Masses where 75g intake 65g exgaust 20g retainers and locks 60g spring 60g lifters. I ran it in engine amalyzer pro and the 3 valve springs didnt float until 8000rpm. 4 valves did at 7500. these numbers are estimates and float is a simulation. Readers, dont recite them as fact.

96 LQ1!

Comment

Well I FINALLY placed my order for the springs, retainers and head studs.

96 LQ1!

Comment

Working...
                          X