Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cams

http://realfierotech.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4067

"Well the American custom guy said about $300 all four. Intergal has this listed for there costs.

Prices

Design one custom cam profile $400*
    CNC machine one Berco master plate $400*
    Grind one custom cam $175 - $200
    New cam billet $60 - $300
    Weld-up cam lobes with hard-facing material $85 per lobe"

Guy researching companies to do custom cams as well as regrinds.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

what are the asteriks for? for the second company, that is alot of $$$ btw. i may just get in some of this for either the 1st company or from chrfab.
    Last edited by dohcfiend; 07-25-2006, 12:30 AM.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

All we need to do is decide what cam profile will be best in different stages for a N.A. 3.4 DOHC and a boosted 3.4 DOHC.

There will be even small changes that a person can do to get some moderate gains in changing to a bit different lobe on the cams. I know this is true from other DOHC 4, 6, and 8 cycl. engines I have done work on. Usually you can gain around 15-20 hp improvements if you very carefully study the stock cams on DOHC engines. This can be shown just by looking at the moderate gains that other DOHC engines reap that already have aftermarket cams made for them.

It would be a great if we came up with a few different profiles.

Best regards to All,
      Dave
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

I should have posted that here too. I am sorry. SappySE107 I was just reading an old post with you and others looking in to the w41 cams and such what came of that? The computer locked up before I could finish reading it.

Comment

Until we can find someone that can spec out a 3.4 cam properly (meaning be able to take reradings off the centerline), we'll never really know how we should modify it. That's the problem Ben and I ran in to having the shop in Baton Rouge do those cams.
          I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

This is rediculous. Having the opportunity right there but without something as minor as a spec. I am an enthusist of this engine real badly, but I'm not hardcore indepth about something like what a GOOD cam spec could possibly be. I wish I was, then I'd have mine ordered by now.

The second someone comes up with a sure thing, please email me, so I can buy these. THANKS!
            1999 SVT Lightning
            1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
            Next BEATER: a C5
            http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

ez112 call this man Steve Long (951) 273-0816 he did the cams for Dave Gunsal so he has specs. I still don't know what power the cams make Dave is'nt telling anyone. But I have read that his car is badass. It is a lite little Fiero though not a big W-body.

Comment

Been waiting on a proven cam for over two years............especially one that compliments a boosted 3400........keep this thread alive !!!

Comment

Uhhh... you can get a cam to virtually any specs (if Milzy lets you) for the 3400.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

probably the only way to get a good profile is to pay a company to research it. as soon as i finish my current project(if milzy ever completes those damn headers i have been waiting on) i will invest in a set of cams.

most reputable companies that are willing to do a regrind are competent. if u tell them what u want as far as power and how streetable it still needs to be, they can come up with a good profile and implement it. will it be the max u can get out of getting a regrind done? no. will it provide more power over the stock cams? yes.

and isn't that what we are shooting for??

Comment

I guess you can say that you are looking to get SOME power from a cam, but you have to think of what you're investing, to what you're getting back in power. Would the money to power ratio be worth the time and money? DEPENDS ON THE POWER. Now if you can net as much horsepower as you possibly could, wouldn't it be worth a little more wait to get that? I'd yes.

I will give Steve Long a call. Thank you Dark69Phoenix. But do you have a little bit more info about this? Because even right now with something as little as a 13 degree timing retard isn't suitable for an automatic transmission. If the cam profile is too radical, my car won't be streetable. Like I said, I'll give him a call and we'll go over a few things.
                      1999 SVT Lightning
                      1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.

Comment

i think the amount you'd have to invest to get the max potential out of a spec'd regrind would easily double if not quadruple the initial price of a regrind. and the gain could be substantial(perhaps 20hp) over just a regrind or it could be as little as 5hp.

i just can't take that chance, $1500 more for a possible 5 extra hp. that would be a 0.003 money to power ratio btw. not trying to come off as a nay-sayer just showing the possibility of what a person may be in for.

i'd love to see a spec'd regrind but i cannot make it happen.
                        Last edited by dohcfiend; 08-12-2006, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Good point. It's a shame with as much know how some people have, no one likes to point anyone else in the right direction.

Ah well. I'd be down with a small gain. I'm sure it'll beat the shit out of cam timing.
                          1999 SVT Lightning
                          1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.

Comment

ez112 I didn't get more info at the time on the level of this cam. Reason being is that I will be going turbo right away. If you call Mr. Long he should be able to fill you in. He is the one who does CHRfab's cams so he knows what he is doing for multiple cam setups. I think he said only 350 for the set. Check my other post listed above I think I said on there more info.

Comment

Well I gave him a call and he said he's all for it. He already made three sets for those fiero guys. But they were 5 speeds, but he said he can work something up for an auto too. I'm kinda gonna have to do a little homework to see what would be best. Lift is what gets it the torque, and that's what he said he'd suggest on.

$400 he quoted me, but hell that's ain't nothing for me.

Thanks for the heads up Dark69Phoenix
                              1999 SVT Lightning
                              1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X