intake swaps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intake swaps??

see what happens when i stray into the pushrod section, i see them swapping to newer intakes and wonder:

would there be any merit(in theory) to swapping to a newer intake. like the ones on the 3.6 dohc v6?

the 3900 ones look to be designed well too. granted they are not easy to find.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

http://email.autissimo.com/020106/50...ivetrain12.jpg looks kinda like the buick GN symbol.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

I think alot of people have thought about it. I've seen a couple of doghouse designs for boost or high RPM power, but I'd like to see a long/short runner design. Something along the lines of the SHO intake.

Comment

On my spare engine, I'm actually in the process of grafting a SHO intake onto the LQ1. The biggest challenge thus far has been removing the damned Ford logo, and replacing it with an Arrowhead. LOL.
        1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Special Edition, Black 5-Speed
        1995 BMW 540i, Alpineweiss-III, 6-Speed
        1995 BMW 540i, Schwarz-II, Automatic
        2004 Honda 919, Light Silver Metallic, 6-Speed

Comment

Originally posted by Husky
          On my spare engine, I'm actually in the process of grafting a SHO intake onto the LQ1. The biggest challenge thus far has been removing the damned Ford logo, and replacing it with an Arrowhead. LOL.
          No kidding?! Pictures, please!

Comment

Hmm good luck finding something to bolt up. There wasn't really a next gen 3.4 LQ1 was there? But the 3100/3400/3500 pushrods all evolved bascialy same motor but just better parts for power.

Is the SHO intake a varible intake (short/long)? How come the rear of the plenum connects like that, just to even out air pulses?
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Maintenance purposes. You remove that to work on timing, etc. (damn PITA :P)
              1999 SVT Lightning
              1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
              Next BEATER: a C5
              http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

does that tb also have a silicon fitting on the other side too? also what size is it?
                The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Its a pretty small TB for the engine. My dad has this motor. Actually, he has a 95 SHO for sale if anyone wants a whole car to play with. You can take the awesome trans out and throw it in a lake.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ez: I meant why does the back peice even connect/is there. Why doesn't the plenum just stop before that peice.

Yeah the TB does look small for a DOHC motor. LOL @ trans comment.
                    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Have you seen Michael Smith's short runner intake? He pretty much just built a plenum on top of the stock 96 lower intake.

Stock he put 174 horsepower to the wheels.

With custom tuned-length headers and his short-runner intake, a little cam timing tweaking to get optimum overlap, and of course some dyno tuning, he put 240 horsepower to the wheels.

fiero.cc is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, fiero.cc has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                      Last edited by Fiero Brick; 08-03-2006, 11:13 PM.
                      87 Fiero GT
                      2.8 liter v6

Comment

Yeah, and in a W body that setup would suck my ass.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

For daily driving and until 5 grand, true. Any intake that flows more will raise your powerband, though. Not to mention, you could cut off part of the UIM and weld a plenum onto the remainder to get a runner length between stock and Michael Smith's. Kinda like Kohburn's new set-up... the one after the fire extinguisher intake.
                          87 Fiero GT
                          2.8 liter v6

Comment

Originally posted by Fiero Brick
                            Kinda like Kohburn's new set-up... the one after the fire extinguisher intake.
                            Any pics of that, BTW?
                            1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Special Edition, Black 5-Speed
                            1995 BMW 540i, Alpineweiss-III, 6-Speed
                            1995 BMW 540i, Schwarz-II, Automatic
                            2004 Honda 919, Light Silver Metallic, 6-Speed

Comment

Working...
                            X