3.4 (lq1) bored throttle bodies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 (lq1) bored throttle bodies?

anyone know where i can get a bored out TB from they used to have them here in the store i think but i cant find them now and FFP dont have them either anyone know where i can get one from?

the 91-95 type or a 96-97? I have never sold a bored DOHC throttlebody setup because of the difficulty in doing so with the TB and manifold being one piece. I could see if marc can do it but as of now I don't know anywhere to get one.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

We do them if you need it done.

Regards,
      Dave
      @
      Hayes Performance Plus
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

I had mine bored out to 72mm but it opend the mounting hole. Yeah it can be done with a horizontal mill. not cheep but lots of upper end power. will post pics.

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

i didnt bore mine, but i did port match the exhaust side of the TB and did major smoothing to the intake side. in addition to cutting half of the throtle plate bar away. the TB is still the stock dia of 64mm but when you acount for the removal and smoothing of the remaining cross bar, it has equivilent cross sectional area to a 70mm tb

major diff compared to stock... and you can see how far off the matching was on the stock pieces!
          Last edited by z34phoenix; 09-10-2006, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Umm, here is an interesting question.. can you just use the TB from a LS1?
            2014 Chevy Cruise LT
            2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

Comment

Milzy is making adapters for the 75mm Northstar TB on the 96-97 engines. I have a 75mm N* TB and 85mm MAF at home, but am waiting to get the intake arm for it.

Tim
              1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
              325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg
                Milzy is making adapters for the 75mm Northstar TB on the 96-97 engines. I have a 75mm N* TB and 85mm MAF at home, but am waiting to get the intake arm for it.

Tim
                Join the club

About that MAF. Is that also from the Northstar setup? Would a NON turbo car (me) benefit from one? I can aquire one for practically nothing, and I was wondering if it would even work...granted with the appropriate tuning tools.
                1999 SVT Lightning
                1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
                Next BEATER: a C5
                http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

It is not from a Northstar- it's from a 6L truck. The LQ4 MAF tables (for the 85mm MAF) are almost identical to those of the stock 3.4 DOHC sensor. It can probably swap in with zero tuning. If you wanted to use a larger TB and 3.5" intake piping (or larger), then it's probably worth it. For a 3" intake, it's probably not worth it.
                  I had two main reasons for using it. The first is that the IAT sensor is built into that MAP. The second is that it has a screen. My MAF has been screenless for a few years and I think that's a source of more problems than good.

Tim
                  1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                  325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Timg,
                    So I have a 96-97 intake for my 3.4L DOHC, but still the 92 OBD I wiring. I could find a LQ4 85mm intake and swap them directly and get a new intake that is 3.5 in ...

Anyone know where I can get an LQ4 Throttle Body? Would I need the MAF from the 6.0L also?

By the way, you mean you think having the screen is an issue, or removing it was an issue
                    2014 Chevy Cruise LT
                    2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

Comment

I have the 85mm LQ4 MAF sensor. It's always a good idea to keep the inlet screens on the MAF. Removing them changes the way the sensor reads and throws off the tune.

I'm not aware of any larger stock throttle bodies that bolt up. Everyone running a larger throttle body has made an adapter.

The LQ4 MAF is probably not worth it unless you also swap to a larger throttle body (something like a Northstar throttle body). It will require tuning. The stock MAF sensor is fairly large and not terribly restrictive.

If you do swap in a larger throttle body and MAF sensor, consider using 3.5" piping/couplers for the entire intake from filter to throttle body.

Tim
                      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Working...
                      X