Intercooled Turbo 5-speed 91 Cutlass Supreme sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooled Turbo 5-speed 91 Cutlass Supreme sedan

wow, not many posts in this section. i don't post here often but i drive a '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan. i bought the car in April of 2000 and it was just a boring base model sedan back then. it still is, i've just added a few things i think i've posted this car here before a long time ago but i've done alot to it since then. i swapped a Getrag 282 5-speed from an '89 Grand Prix into the Cutlass back in 2002, then turbocharged the original 'LH0' engine at 227,000 miles using TGP parts in the summer of 2005. i replaced the oil pump with a Melling 95HV oil pump, installed a new timing chain set, had the TGP heads rebuilt with a valve job, and new gaskets seals everywhere. it has a few minor mods but nothing too major. it now has almost 250,000 miles and still running great on the original LH0 shortblock which has never been rebuilt, handling 13psi no problem. it has upgraded 11.25" front brakes from a '96 Cutlass Supreme, and 11" upgraded rear disc brakes from a '94 Cutlass Supreme. it's been lowered with new 1.7" drop Intrax front springs and TDC/AFCO Racing adjustable coilovers in the rear. new KYB GR-2 struts and KYB strut mounts all around, new jounce bumpers and strut boots, new rotors and pads all around, and new GM greaseable ball joints. it currently has 16x8 crosslace wheels from a '94 Grand Prix GTP with 245/50 Kumho ECSTA 711s. i installed 'BYP' International series front bumper and side/rear skirting, as well as sport pod with DIC, 'UB3' digital guages cluster, HUD, steering column with steering wheel radio controls, front bucket seats & full fold down rear seats from a '90 Cutlass Supreme International sedan, A-pillar pod with Autometer mechanical boost and A/F gauges. the 5-speed center console is from an '89 Grand Prix. i'll post some pics...

my Cutlass with timg's '95 Turbo Monte and sl3196's '00 GTP last November:

it looks nicer than it really is in that pic. it's a 15ft footer. up close you can notice the flaws. some pics from almost a year ago:

it looks alot better with the new 245/50s!

that's about the only halfway decent pic i have of the 245/50s. the car really should be sitting lower. the problem is i installed KYB strut boot/jounce bumpers which are too tall for the amount of drop the Intrax springs provide. i could cut a section off the jounce bumper but since the boot and jounce bumper is an integrated piece i'd have no boot left if i cut anything off the jounce bumper. it's literally sitting on the jounce bumpers up front resulting in a harsh ride and it's not sitting as low as it should. i just bought some OEM style (non integrated) strut boot and jounce bumpers last week and hope to install them soon so the car will finally ride nice and sit low and level. i'll probably be cutting 1.25" off the jounce bumper and i'll still have a strut boot.

interior pics from last December:

gauges pics from about a year ago:

some underhood shots from last October:

dyno graph from October 2005, just after i had gotten done turbocharging it:

sub 10:1 A/F as soon as it spooled with a "barely modified for 5-speed" Jeff M Top Gun chip (it really need to be tuned!):

i'm planning on replacing the old rusty original TSTE mufflers with some 2.5" in/out DynoMax Ultraflos, as well as some Ford Racing Yellow Top injectors and 1.6 roller rockers from a '94 3100 i got at the salvage yard for $5 nothing too big is in store for it. i have a 34mm front bar from a Z34 and an Addco 22mm bar in my garage waiting to go on. i'm going to try to get the car dyno'd again next month. current mods besides the TGP turbo parts and 5-speed swap include K&N air filter directly on the compressor inlet, M&M Racing MBC @ 13psi, KAZ MotorSports dyno tuned chip done last October, TurboXS RFL BOV on lower intercooler pipe, test pipe in place of cat, fake dual outlet exhaust from an old Grand Prix Turbo STE i parted out, no underhood AC at all, Magnecor KV85 wires, EGR delete with a TurbosUnleashed.com vacuum distribution block in its place, FFP billet aluminum/poly dogbone motor mounts, ATPTurbo.com silicone oil drain hose and ATPTurbo.com SS T-bolt clamps for all intercooler pipe connections including the air filter. i just installed a Walbro 255 HP fuel pump last week. probably some more minor things i'm missing...

i've owned the car for almost 7 years now and am looking for something different actually, preferrably a '92-'95 Bonneville SSE or SSEi. i wish i could keep it, ecspecially since it is 100% rust free but if i'm going to get a Bonnevile this car has to go (i don't have room for 3 cars ). i love the car and it's a blast to drive, but after owning and modding the same car for 7 years i just want something new to mess around with i guess. i'd really like to sell the car and transplant a turbocharged 3400 into an SSE or SSEi. something a little more challenging modifying the Cutlass was mostly all bolt-on stuff.

i'm going to try to make it to the dragstrip this summer but that track is at 4900ft. i'm hoping it will trap 95+ mph or so but i'd have to get a good launch. at sea level with ideal conditions i think the car might be capable of 13.99 @ 102mph but that's just a guess....maybe an optimistic guess haha. it runs about even with my friend's '00 GTP which has a DHP PCM, Wizaired CAI, 3" downpipe, no cat, resonator or U-bend, 1.9 roller rockers, 3.4" pulley, 180* thermostat and Autolite 104s. his car dyno'd 240whp/320wtq on the same day at the same shop but that was before the 1.9 rockers and 3" DP. that was also the same day and the same shop Tim dyno'd 350whp/349wtq in his Turbo Monte.

this is a vid of me racing my friend's GTP (with the 1.9 rockers and DP added since the dyno day) from a dig to 100mph. my car was still the same; it had not been tuned yet:

it got MUCH quicker after the tune ecspecially up top, we haven't raced yet but we both agree it would be about even. as soon as the roads dry out we'll try again. the car would probably do 255whp & 360wtq on a Dyno-Jet now that it has been tuned (KAZ tuning was done on a DynoDynamics machine with TunerPro RT and a Moates Ostrich emulator....ALOT of improvements needed to be made). i'm still waiting on my corrected whp/wtq dyno graphs (also showing A/F and boost) from KAZ MotorSports but they won't be comparable to the Dyno-Jet dyno graphs i had gotten in 2005. DynoDynamics machines typically read much lower (and probaby more accurate) numbers. a few guys have tested their cars on the same day at both shops with no changes to their car between dyno sessions and found there to be a 38-40% difference in uncorrected dyno numbers.

here is a recent 0-91mph vid of the speedometer:

it got to 91mph in .2 miles according to my trip odometer, so very roughly 91mph in the 1/4 mile despite the horrible launch, a 230lb friend taking the vid, and 4500ft elevation. it looks like i shifted to 2nd really early but due to mad tire spin i had to get out of it and start again in 1st. i still had no traction in 1st gear as you can see the speedo and tach flare up really fast. i shifted to 2nd at about 30mph, shifted to 3rd at 53mph, then shifted to 2nd at 76mph. i try to shift at 5000 RPM. fwiw 5000 RPM in 4th is about 110mph. i might try shifting a little higher after the 1.6 rockers go in.

anyway, that's my 60*V6 car. it's not nearly as fast as my other car, but then again my Regal GS is stock. thanks for lookin
    Last edited by TurboSedan; 02-13-2007, 07:12 AM.
    '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
    '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

94 3100 rockers will fit a 3.1mpfi?

BTW 94 they weren't roller. Roller fulcrum started in 96, some late 95 maybe.

But they all were 1.6 in 3x00 engines.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

you need the guideplates but yes they fit. otherwise you would have to grind out the MFPI guideplate for pushrod clearance. i know the '94-'96 1.6 rockers are stamped; just a little higher ratio. i got 'em for $5, might actually gain 1-2hp lol.
      '91 Cutlass Supreme sedan - 3.1 Intercooled Turbo / Getrag HM-282 5-speed - 13psi / lightly modded
      '98 Regal GS - 3800 Series II Supercharged/HM-4T65E-HD - 180* T-stat, otherwise stock

GM W-body Forums

Comment

ur car is hot Josh....

its got a crap load of mods....

it my fav 4-door Cutty.

The new Z06 exposes European sports cars for what they really are....overprice, underperforming snobs.

Comment

very nice sleeper.

Comment

sweet cut

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
              94 3100 rockers will fit a 3.1mpfi?

BTW 94 they weren't roller. Roller fulcrum started in 96, some late 95 maybe.

But they all were 1.6 in 3x00 engines.
              Yes, and yes.

the SFI engines were 1.6:1. The MPFI had a 1.52:1 layot

Comment

oh and of course badass cut

Comment

your car rocks josh...i wish i could afford it!

Comment

Working...
                  X