No announcement yet.

1995 3.4 camaro Want a turbo!!! help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 3.4 camaro Want a turbo!!! help!!

im trying to put a turbo on my 1995 chevrolet camaro 3.4 ive got a K&N intake already looking for any horsepower upgrades if anyone knows of anything. Really want a turbo, if there isnt a kit then can i do a custom job and if yes what turbo do i get and what is involved in installing a custom turbo?

Step 1. Research. If you are asking these generic questions you haven't done your homework.
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

For your info ive done plenty of reaserch dozens of sites wholesalers, forums, not one person has any information so on 2 step 2 posting on forums for help. which i am now doing. If thats all you have to say then id appreciate if you didnt comment

Comment

and if the questions are so generic how come youve got no constructive ideas or cited pieces of info regarding these so called generic questions, only critizism

Comment

Find a copy of Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost" and read it. With that said, there are no kits out there available for you, therefore it is custom. And by your question "what turbo do i get and what is involved in installing a custom turbo", you obviously have not done much research. No one can tell you what turbo you need, as different people want different things. Is this a daily driver, weekend cruiser, track only car? What kind of budget do you have? What skills and resources do you have in order to do all the custom fabbing of parts? What kind of boost levels are you wanting? How do you plan on upgrading the computer system of the vehicle? I could go on and on....
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

ive done plenty of research i hear different things from everyone. the 95 camaro has a different engine placement than any car ive seen. and yea it does matter what turbo i put on because i dont want to ruin my engine some say i will need to change the valve gaskets, some say i will need a cam, some say i will need forged evrything, Im looking for someone with a 3.4 camaro with a turbothen i will be satisfied.

Comment

the 95 camaro has a different engine placement than any car ive seen.
              Have you never seen a RWD car before? I don't remember the placement being much different than any other RWD car...

Here is some research you must have missed....

-Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Check out the thirdgen.org site, there are several with past v6 turbo builds, and also ones building hybrids and 3500 swaps with boost. That will give you some ideas of what can be done.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                  Have you never seen a RWD car before? I don't remember the placement being much different than any other RWD car...
                  +10 pwnage points for Brad...

to be fair though, the fourth gen f-bodies do have the motor stuffed WAY back compared to most RWD cars
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

first off-i would change to OBD1 because you are currently using 1.5 & they switched everything over to 2 in 96. With OBD1 you can get a tuner from moates.net that will allow you to fully tune it for boost.

a good OBD-I system to use would be one from a 90-93 V6 camaro or firebird, or you could go with one out of a 90-93 fwd 3.1 car.

second off-your heads-they are very restrictive. i would recommend getting a set of either 3400 heads & intake, 3500 heads & intake, or if you get a 90-93 3.1 fwd parts car you can use the heads & intake off of it altho you will need:

custom pushrods (www.wot-tech.com)
                    head/intake gaskets (id go with the metal felpro ones that i keep hearing about)
                    bigger throttlebody

you will also want to do some light porting & clean up the casting flaws before you put the heads on & step up to a set of LS6 springs & seats (wot-tech.com)

INTERCOOLER-get one.

turbo-that all depends on your hp desires & how much you want to spend beefing this car up to take the hp-if you are looking for 250hp i would just get ahold of a T25 off of a TGP or (if i remember correctly) a 1st gen eclipse turbo (these turbos can be found with minor shaft play for $50)-rebuild the turbo & fab up a set of turbo headers.

you will also need: intake piping, larger injectors, boost gauge, manual boost controller, misc wiring & connectors, walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, oil lines for the turbo, ARP studs for the connecting rods (wot-tech.com) & header wrap. id also recommend having your rods or a set of rods bead blasted or whatnot to make sure they dont fail on you.

as well as a set of (preferably forged) pistons-summitracing or wot-tech.com-with a matching set of rings, & if you REALLY wanna go all out you could get a set of manley stainless steel valves.

there are small details missing but thats all the big stuff-it all just depends on how much hp you want to push & how lean you intend to try to run-

you could probably slap on a t25 with some custom turbo headers, arp rod bolts, t25, boost gauge, manual boost controller, & a chip from flybynight on tgpforums.com, no ic, & push 4-6psi just fine but if you only want that much power id just do a 3500 top swap with some light porting, a tune, & bigger tb, & be done with it.
                    Last edited by no_doz; 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by no_doz View Post
                      a good OBD-I system to use would be one from a 90-93 V6 camaro or firebird, or you could go with one out of a 90-93 fwd 3.1 car.
                      slight fixes:

the 93 camaro is 1.5 as well. 90-92 should be a 1227730, good for 8F(TGP) or code59.

most FWD ECUs are 7730's as well, but the W-bodies got the 1227727(weatherproof 7730 with different connectors) starting in 1988 and going until 1992. the 93-94 3.1 cars got a 16149396(7727 with extra RAM for electronic tranny control, also useable for a turbo setup). the 91-93 3.4DOHC cars got the 16149396 as well.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

93 is obd1.5? i know 93 is the last year the engine & computer were seperately controlled but i coulda sworn they didnt start obd1.5 until 94, not that im doubting you but do you have any kind of documentation to show this? you didnt specifically mention the 3.4 rwd's so i wasnt sure-since 93-95 F-bodies had the 3.4 iron head.

(i want to know what cars to stay away from unless i intend to do a wiring harness swap-so the info will definitely be helpful).

Comment

93 camaro v6 is flash ECM. Not tuneable. See Forced_Firebirds OBD1 swap thread I think it mentions that there somewhere.
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

yuck, a good thing to remember. now im REALLY happy i got rid of my 93 auto v6 camaro, the auto trans was bad enough, the body damage was worse, but OBD1.5 just SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post

Here is some research you must have missed....

http://60degreev6.com/forum/f107/wor...r-today-t42727
                              Um, actually, the engine is back in the engine compartment. It is pushed back into the dash board, meaning his question would be if the placement is different than anyother GM v6... maybe it is you that hasn't ever looked under a 95 camaro hood, or hasnt done enough research before answering questions you obviously don't know the answer to..

Comment

Working...
                              X