New. But not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New. But not.

Hi. Some of you guys might know me from ThirdGen.org. I've come here seeking a little help with my hybrid conversion on my 87 Firebird. Originally, the Raven had the 2.8, which blew with 195,239.7 on the clock, and was replaced with a 3.1. The ailing (blasted TCC system was failing) 700R4 was swapped in favor of a NWC T5 in 2006 with 213,831 miles. Now, at 246K, I'm looking to start building some power. Right now, I have some MAF issues I hope to resolve soon. Anyways, I'm one of those guys who has dealt with pretty much everything. I graduated from an auto tech school in CT (which shall remain unnamed) back in 08, right before the market crashed and so did the job market, so I'm putting my talents to use in other areas. I have already completed a 302 to 730 harness swap, but that has been undone due to problems with the 730 harness I got from the junkyard (made the 730 harness a plug-and-play deal). I have installed VATS on my car, but it is unused at the moment. I personally bought 2 FSMs, one for the 87, and one for the 92, and use those a LOT. I'm one of those who has dealt with what has to be replaced or added to work between the old and the new systems on the 3rd gen F-body V6, especially when it comes to the vacuum setup.

As I said before, I own an 87 Firebird, and have since the day before my 18th birthday almost 7 years ago. When I went ahead to do the trans swap, back in late 2005, I picked up a 3.1L 93 Grand Prix. It was a good car once I replaced BOTH rear calipers , except for the occasional stalling and that code 32 I never could figure out (seemed to be a problem in the harness because the valve itself was good, I replaced the power wire, and even the ECM). I have a dislike for those guys who keep telling people on forums, especially TGO, to just "swap in a V8". That's just a waste of a perfectly good engine there.

Anyways, I'm searching for info on my hybrid swap. Now, I know someone is going to flame me for this, but I picked up a set of heads and intake from a 98 Malibu. Yes, I know the 3100 setup is small-port. I couldn't beat the price, though. If I had a pickup truck, the whole engine would have been mine for $50, because it had been sitting on a tire in front of a shop here in town for about 2 months. So, my plan is to use what I can of the 730 harness I have, or get a second one, and use a 16196401 ECM with DIS. Yes, I know I need reluctors, which is why I'm looking into a 3.4 SFI timing cover with damper, and other parts. But, mostly, I need a pinout on the 401. If I can't get a 401, I CAN get a 16149396 with pigtail, but I would rather go SFI. Any help is appreciated. Oh, almost forgot... I could also use a pic or something with the 98's vacuum line routing on it as the engine didn't have a donor car to take a pic of.

Also, is anyone willing to trade my 98 UIM for one from a 94-95 with the 3-solenoid EGR valve?

(Yes, I know, too much at once)

I may have a 94 UIM that I could send you. Its at the other house, so it might be a week or 2 before I can get over there.

Welcome, by the way!
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

:thanks:

I've been thinking about getting on here for a while, just haven't. I've been on TGO and helped many over the past seven years as well.

Comment

To clarify my above offer, I know I have a 94 UIM, I just don't know its current condition. It should be just fine, but its honestly been probably 3-4 yrs since I really looked at it.
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i'm going off the top of my head, but is the 6401 the 94-95 LQ1 PCM?

and welcome.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            i'm going off the top of my head, but is the 6401 the 94-95 LQ1 PCM?

and welcome.
            I believe it is... I'm not too up to date on the RPO codes, but I do know the engine is a 3400 DOHC, 94-95, with the 401 having limited use in the 93 3.1 GP.

:edit: I'm also not entirely sure if the 401 is flash or MEMCAL based, either... Haven't seen a picture of the non-part number sticker side.

Comment

the 94-95 3.4DOHC motors were not flash, but the 93-95 3100 were... i'm gonna check my interchange...

yep. 6401 is what i thought. tuneability is a bit of an issue with it since someone has gone through the ECM quite a bit but i have to finish the tranny related stuff for it to be considered fully documented...

i have never heard of that particular ECM being used in the 93 3.1 GP's though...
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

i have never heard of that particular ECM being used in the 93 3.1 GP's though...
                Sorry, I was thinking of the 16149496 ECM when I said that... Doh.

Comment

well, if you really want to stick with the 6401, i'll post the diagrams here. if you want to use the 9396, then clicky: http://60degreev6.com/forum/local_li...atid=10&id=125
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Thanks. I've found a couple diagrams on the 9396 easy enough, but I haven't found anything on the 401 until now. I'd leaning towards the 6401 for the SFI, but I'll use the 9396 as a fallback just in case I can't get a 6401 (I at least know I can get a 9396 at my favorite yard and know right where it is).

:edit: I already have the pinout for the 9396, from an L-body website. Thanks, though. And I just realized I made a typo above... :idiot:
                    Last edited by Maverick H1L; 01-20-2010, 01:03 PM.

Comment

there you go.

i honestly didn't notice any kind of loss when i took my 3100 from SFI to MPFI...
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

http://60degreev6.com/forum/local_li...atid=10&id=137

there you go.

i honestly didn't notice any kind of loss when i took my 3100 from SFI to MPFI...
                        I just like the challenge, that's all, and the ability to say I've done something different. Besides, I have 2 sets of 3100 fuel injectors (although one set loses fuel pressure like you wouldn't believe and I have to toss them), and for some reason, people don't seem to like buying things off of me (you should see all of the spare parts I have for the Bird).

:edit: For some reason, my laptop isn't letting me open the zip file... I get some "unknown compression method" error with the XP zip utility, and my other program won't touch it. If I directly open the folder and double-click on one of the image files, nothing happens, either.
                        Last edited by Maverick H1L; 01-20-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

i compress it with 7-zip, but the forum won't allow .7Z uploads...

free, open source compression, with a better compression ratio...
                          Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

i compress it with 7-zip, but the forum won't allow .7Z uploads...

free, open source compression, with a better compression ratio...
                            Ah, I see. And I just deleted that 2 days ago because I didn't need it. (bangs head on wall)

Comment

i just uploaded a new version at the same link. should be compatible with the windows ZIP utility.
                              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Working...
                              X