My 92 Z34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 92 Z34

Ok, so we painted the car last Saturday and here is what I have... There are some fish eyes in the clear from getting water in the air lines but the plan is for me to get my 20k mile engine in before we address the clear in case I bump a fender or something while putting it in. This also will give the paint and clear time to cure. Then step 2 is the actual buffing and addressing the defects in the clear along with reassembly of things like lights and spoiler. Step 3 is buy new rims (TSW Nurburgring 18x8 in matte gunmetal) and tires and pray I get this all done in time enough to enjoy the car a bit before the weather goes south.

Details on the body work done:
    I
    We (yes, I helped do the body work- I learned a lot, especially how time consuming prep and paint is, among other things) fixed the parking lot dings, roll rear fenders so I don't catch sidewalls of rear tires again, fix other little miscellaneous issues.

All in all I'm happy with the paint job. The car came from Texas so the paint was in horrible shape before we started. If you rubbed your hand on the roof the paint would powder up in your hand and I've only got around $360 into it. It pays to know and help other people I would also like to note that the side badges are no longer a sticker, but were stenciled in paint and are under the clear. I am also not going to be putting badges on the back or the silly stripe around the top of the ground effects- just the side badges and bowtie on the front will be on the car. The last pic is the rims I am getting and two pics before it are before shots. All pics were taken with my phone (HTC One X).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Looks awesome i really like the black.You did a great job.....this fall im having paint done to my roof and trunk.Then adding a spoiler.This spring i'd like to do the cowl hood aswell=) But i like the car very clean.

Comment

AWESOME!

Wait till you get that thing color sanded, if you think it looks good now...
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'm still not used to it being shiny. When the base coat went on it kinda worried me because it didn't look good. Clearcoat makes a HUGE difference! I'm happy with it for a few reasons (soon to be better once sanded and buffed, like you said, John). 1. it's never been remotely that shiny since I've had it, 2. I had a hand in it and saw first hand it's progression from start to now, and 3. it's no longer a bummer to look at and it's bringing back my joy of having it along with bringing back the excitement of working on it again. I knew painting a car was a lot of work, but holy cow! I learned a lot and had fun, though, despite all the hours put into it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pocket-rocket; 07-20-2012, 04:17 PM.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

More pics, stupid upload limit on tapatalk...

Also, funny story about pulling it... The way it sat on my dolly took 3 pieces of 2x2 in the springs (suspension techniques 2 inch drop springs) and a 2x4 and 2x6 on each side to get it on and off the dolly without scraping or ripping off the front bumper. Without the springs being blocked I have to pick up on the fender or drive up on wood to get my floor jack under the subframe.

Attached Files
          Last edited by pocket-rocket; 07-20-2012, 01:24 PM.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Yeah the matte look of the base throws you off.

Looks great, though, glad you have interest in your mistress again
            Links:
            WOT-Tech.com
            FaceBook
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Yeah the matte look of the base throws you off.

Looks great, though, glad you have interest in your mistress again
              Haha my wife calls my car the red mistress=) Looking good excited to see when it's all finished=)

Comment

Originally posted by robert 1980 View Post
                Haha my wife calls my car the red mistress=) Looking good excited to see when it's all finished=)
                Lol, my wife just doesn't like my car because of how much I like it. Anyways, calling them a mistress reminds me I'd this...

Downloaded from Saturday Night Live 25th anniversary website in 1999 or 2000. This is probably the ONLY full lenght clip of this funny skit anywhere on the I...

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Drool. Id take your car for a shell Lumina interior = make me a race car. I wouldn't recognize that car in person either. Way too shiny.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                    Drool. Id take your car for a shell Lumina interior = make me a race car. I wouldn't recognize that car in person either. Way too shiny.
                    I guess that means it's not your run of the mill Lumina parts car, eh?

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                      Lumina interior = make me a race car. I wouldn't recognize that car in person either. Way too shiny.
                      I still am shocked by the shinyness (is that a word? lol). Been dull for far too long.

How is this for a race interior?

Attached Files
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Too many subs, not enough roll cage:P
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I don't disagree on the cage, the subs, however....

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

That is nice! Yes, clear coat makes it glow.

Planning to buff it?

Tell your wife about ALL the extra time you will spend with her in the back seat once your done.
                            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                              Planning to buff it?
                              Thanks . Yes, it will get buffed soon. The booth we sprayed it in didn't have an oven to fast cure it so it's been sitting to let it cure while I get engine parts, rims and tires, ect.

Edit: fixed grammar error because swype rocks....

Last edited by pocket-rocket; 07-27-2012, 04:27 AM.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X