2000 Grand Am GT - 3500 Swap with MPG/Torque Cam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Grand Am GT - 3500 Swap with MPG/Torque Cam

I finally got my project running, 2000 Grand Am GT.

I need to button up a few minor things before I take it out on the street. (install hood, headlight, splash shields and inner fender liners and muffler)

Engine List:

3500 engine with ported 3400 UIM (engine has less than 10K miles), New Gaskets, Seals & Sensors, TCE Crank Trigger, WOT Tech MPG/Torque Cam, 99 Grand Am Timing Chain, Durabond SBC Cam Bearings, Comp 26986 springs, RSM 62mm Throttle Body, 28lb Trailblazer Injectors, TCE EGR Block Off, Cold Air Intake, 04+ 3400/3500 X-Over Style Exhaust Manifolds (for slightly larger ports), and a Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Converter. Mated to a 4T45e from a 04 grand am that had 25K miles (swapped out the pressure control solenoid for a 02 & older pressure control solenoid as they changed in 03).

Chassis List:
    KYB struts with Eibach springs, 99 Aluminum Control Arms with urethane bushings and endlinks, New greaseable ball joints and tie rod ends, Moog front sway bar bushings, new front Napa premium wheel bearings, low mileage steering rack, new power steering pump with braided stainless lines, WOT Tech billet motor mount, and new brakes.

Video = Quick Start up
    - (Note, no muffler is installed only the catalytic converter and piping that extends slightly over the axle)
    Last edited by onefastV6; 10-13-2012, 11:08 PM.
    2000 Grand Am GT
    2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

now its time to wash 3 yrs of dirt off that hoe !!!

Comment

Originally posted by unchained01 View Post
      now its time to wash 3 yrs of dirt off that hoe !!!
      I think the dirt gives it character
      2000 Grand Am GT
      2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Sounds good,hope to see a video of it rolling down the street soon=)

Comment

It's been a rough week with a sick child, so I didn't get too much done.
          I had my wife help me get the hood back on, which to my surprise took about 5 minutes and everything lined up evenly.
          I put also got the headlight back in and I pulled the out of the garage and let it idle for a little while.

One thing I did notice is that I need to bleed my power steering system,as the pump is whining and the fluid is getting frothy.
          I am going to try to get everything finished up this week and get it on the road for a test drive before I schedule an alignment.
          2000 Grand Am GT
          2011 Chevy Impala

Comment

sounds pretty good and interesting on what kind of power change it made
            94 BerrettaZ26 3400,5 spd, aluminum flywheel, stg3+ spec clutch, poly mounts everywhere, strut and strut to rad braces, s&s headers, euro mirrors, and taillights, E36 headlights, blk widow spoiler, GTU rimz, intrax, KYB, OBD2 swap rear disk swap with ss lines and ss clutch line, addco rear bar

07 Chrysler 300 Base, with C frt bumper blk halo headlights and foglights. Coming soon tinted taillights and 22". The Family ride

Comment

My favorite color grand am
              14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

I got the car out on the road tonight and it seems to run decent.
                I kept the RPM's low (under 3500) as I didn't have my laptop charged to data log and the muffler still isn't installed.

The car gets up to 50 MPH with little effort or pedal and it feels much stronger than my 3500 impala. Probably because the drive by wire throttle sucks on the impala.

The only issue I am having is that the car occasionally shift hard into gear from Park to Drive. I noticed this mainly after the car was hot, which could be the MAF, IAT, the new pressure solenoid that I installed or being under/over filled. Should be able to get it figured out, but I am not too worried about it.

EDIT: I am getting a Trans Code: P1810, which is related to the pressure switch.
                First thing to check according to the manuals is trans fluid.... my gut feeling is that the trans fluid is low. I bought the trans from a yard and they had removed the fluid and filter and it sat on a shelf for several years. The torque converter was from another car and I think it lost a lot of fluid, so I put 11 quarts in when I did the rebuild. All data calls for 12.9 quarts on a complete overhaul and but my 4t40e manual calls for 13.4. I will go with the higher of the two and go from there.
                Sucks that the 4t45e trans doesn't have a dip stick.
                Last edited by onefastV6; 10-31-2012, 12:40 AM.
                2000 Grand Am GT
                2011 Chevy Impala

Comment

Working...
                X