New guy from WI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy from WI

Hello everyone. I just joined the site. Looks to be a lot of good info on here. I just picked up a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. This will be my daily driver and my little project. The car is a black 2 door. It has a 3400 v6 which is locked up. I bought the car as a daily driver. The guy said it ran but ran rough. Had no check engine light or anything like that. Well I bought the car for $700. I had a tow truck go pick it up. Once home i messed around with it and its locked up. So I will be swapping the motor. I'll be looking for some more info when I get into it a little bit more.

Welcome to the site and do some searching too. You may want to go with a 3500 instead. Lower miles and more horas power. Is the upside. Extra cost and more work the downside. Maybe some who have swapped will jump in and be more specific. Good luck !!'

Comment

Thanks. I have been doing a lot of reading and searching. I would love to do a 3500 swap, but right now I am kind of on a tight time line. We are down to just the wife's van and our plow truck which is not good on gas at all. So for now I think I will just swap another 3400 in. I talked to a buddy of mine that his mom has a 96 lumina van with a good running 3400 in it. It has a bad trans and they were going to junk it. So I bought it for junk price of $300. Now I am trying to find out what all will need to be changed to work in my car.

Comment

Maybe someone will chime in here that has more knowledge with 96 models

Comment

Well I have the motor out of the van, and out of the car now. Getting the motor out of the car was a little tricky considering it was locked up. Now that they are both out I can see that the timing cover has to be changed, the alternator bracket, the heater core pipes on the engine, the rear exhaust manifold, and I'm sure there are some more little things that I will have to change. Some of the new parts I'm going to throw at it well its on the stand are a new timing set, thermostat, plugs, plug wires, water pump, oil, and filter but those are a given. Is there anything else I should replace before I put it back in the car? Thanks

Comment

Just be cautious that there motors have LIM gasket problems too May be the reason the motor was locked up in the first place And use the fuel rail from the 99 for proper size

Comment

The guy that I got the van from was a good friend of mine. A couple months before the trans went out they replaced the LIM gaskets. But as I was taking things apart the LIM are different. So I will be using the LIM and fuel rail from the alero. I went with the better gaskets. I hope to be getting the motor back together in the next couple of days.

Comment

Well it took me a lot longer than I wanted to but I drove the alero for the first time today. Last night about 1130 I finished everything up on it. It has a misfire to it for some reason now, I have not had a chance to plug the scanner into it yet. But it can't be anything major cause when I started the van that the motor was in, it ran fine. It needs a real good cleaning inside so that is my next big task for this car. Once the interior is back up to par I will be starting on taking care of some of the little things that need attention. I'll get some pictures of the car tomorrow when it's light out. Over all I think I came out ok on this deal.

Comment

Glad to hear it !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X