Hello from TN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from TN

Hello everyone! A buddy of mine recommended that i joined this site since i just picked up a Grand Am SE with a 172000 mile 3400 in it. I'm really new to this motor so i dont know a whole lot about it yet but i am definitely wanting to learn. This is the first car ive owned since i totaled my turbo cavalier last march.

Unfortunately the grand am doesnt run but im hoping you guys can help me with that. The guy i bought it from said he was driving up a hill and it just sputtered and died on him and he couldnt start it back up. so far this is what ive done:

-tested the battery, it was junk so i bought a new one.
    -took a plug and wire and tested each individual prong on the coils while turning the motor over, they all sparked.
    -took a wire brush and cleaned off the connections on the coils
    -pulled all of the plugs and cleaned them off a little, they will be getting replaced fairly soon due to how dirty they were.
    -sprayed starter fluid in the intake and tried to start it (it didnt)

I can hear the fuel pump prime when i turn the key so i think thats functioning properly, and also after i turn it over if i pull a plug it has fuel on it. when im turning it over it just spins but it only sounds like i get fire here and there and if i start playing with the gas pedal it will hit more and more and almost sound like its about to start running (or explode into a giant fireball) but it wont run. last night for some reason when i tried to start it after doing nothing differently except try to read codes (which there are non of) i had it floored and it started for like 7 seconds. i had to keep it floored and it sounded like death but it spun up to about 2500rpm and then died back out.

Im sorry if this is a lot for a first post but i like to answer questions before theyre asked haha I would appreciate any and all help i can get on this since i really really really want to start driving around again. Thank you

Hey Foo good to see you here. Guys he is a real good person and a mod on another car site, so you don't have to worry.
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

I'll take a shot in the dark and say blown fuel pressure regulator causing little/no fuel pressue.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

UPDATE!

- I got the fuel filter on with no problems.
        - I checked fuel pressure at the rail today and it was fine.
        - The car kinda started today and it idled for like 3 seconds
        - I am getting proper voltage at my maf, at the coils, and from the crank sensor.

One thing i didnt notice til today is that when the motor turns over the crank pulley looks really wobbly and you can hear the belt squeaking. Unfortunately this makes me thing its the oil pump. Another small piece of info is that when the car died when the other guy owned it he said after it turned off the only light left on was the oil light.... someone please convince me im wrong.

Comment

Welcome to the site

If the crank pulley wobbles it needs replaced, but I don't think that will fix it. When it did run did the oil light shut off?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Im not really too sure. All i know is after it died the oil light was the only one that stayed on.

Comment

Hmm, I was trying to figure out if the cam was broke. The SES light should have come back on though...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
              X