New DOHC owner with ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DOHC owner with ?'s

hey everyone, my name is matt, i had joined about 2 years ago when i had a 92 Z34 but i sold that and have been without a 60* since then. driving mostly big, american, V8 sedans(Cadillac Fleetwood, Ford Crown Vic, Mercury Marauder) well just last week i picked up another one, this time its a 1994 3.4 Euro sedan. red with grey interior 120,000 miles and i only payed $500 for it from an auction. so far I've done a few little repairs to it(oil and filter, trans fluid and filter, MAJOR clean up) and right now im working on replacing the thermostat.

which brings me to my questions,
    1: i was told i need to bleed the system? what is the preferred method of doing this?
    2: i believe the coolant temp sensor is bad(when its plugged in the fans wont come on, unplugged they come on) what is the easiest way of getting to that? remove the plenum?

thats all i can think of for now, so far this site seems to be very helpful and i hope to be around for a while

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS(My Baby) 88,000 miles
    Mustang 17" Rims, Marauder headlight/turn signals, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer deck, Infinty speakers, Infinity amp, 12" Polk sub, 5%/35% tint

1994 Chevy Lumina 3.4 Euro(da beater) 121,000 miles
    stock.....for now

I open the bleeders while filling the system, then close them as coolant comes out. Then I start it and let it warm up and crack the bleeders periodically. I don't know if it's the preferred method, but it's how I do it and it works for me, lol.

As for the fans coming on when you unplug the CTS, that's normal. It's the ECM going into a fail-safe since it has no idea what the coolant temp is. Since the fans come on you know they work so unless the car overheats I would say the CTS is fine.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

ok ill have to try that, it has not overheated yet its gotten close though(needle just about in the red) and i havent seen the fans come on under normal operation

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS(My Baby) 88,000 miles
      Mustang 17" Rims, Marauder headlight/turn signals, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer deck, Infinty speakers, Infinity amp, 12" Polk sub, 5%/35% tint

1994 Chevy Lumina 3.4 Euro(da beater) 121,000 miles
      stock.....for now

Comment

If you have air in the system, that can be the cause of a high gauge. The coolant temp sensor for the gauge (which is separate from the one for the ECM) can't read steam.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The LQ1's will overheat without the fan's even on a cool day, they don't like stop and go traffic. My sensor was bad on my '94 GTP which is why I got it for $750.00. The shops scared the last owner with the repair quote.

I have a farmer fix that would get you going with out pulling the plenum. I left the original sensor in the intake and installed a new sensor into the heater hose (supply) close to the original sensor. Let me know if you haven't fixed it and need more info.

Any pics of the car and welcome to the forum
          Baby: 2010 Power Wagon. Katzkins, mopar side steps and 35" Duratracs.
          Daily: 1995 Monte Z34 3.4/4T60e.
          Farm: 1978 2500 Jimmy Snow-plow & 1992 GMC SLE 4x4 ex cab short box 1/2 ton. RV cam straight pipe. Currently installing a 4L80e (have blown 4 700r4's and 1 4L60e)
          Project: Beretta GTZ 2.3 HO/282 (Better one), 1992 GTP 3.4/284? (needs 284) & 1992 Lumina Z34 3.4/284. (Don't want to mile out, needs body work)
          Other: TO MANY!

Comment

Working...
          X