Hello from tennessee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from tennessee

Had a stock Fiero years ago and I'm wanting to get another one. I would like to modify it some but not go crazy (no Cadillac engines). I'm also very dumb when it comes to modifying. So if my questions are dumb, try to look over me.

If anyone is from Tennessee, shoot me a PM.

Start with a 2.8l manual trans and swap in a 3100, 3400 or 3500 with a decent clutch. Clean up the engine bay while resisting any gaudy aesthetics.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
      Start with a 2.8l manual trans and swap in a 3100, 3400 or 3500 with a decent clutch. Clean up the engine bay while resisting any gaudy aesthetics.
      Thanks so much for the help. Do you know how much HP a 3100 would have? I realize that there may be many factors.

I've been doing some research on all the engines you talked about and a lot of people talk about a lot of problems. Do you have any good news to share?

I have had good comments about the 3.4 DOHC engine though... is that close to the 3400 engine?
      Last edited by jumper; 06-17-2014, 02:58 PM. Reason: additional stuff...

Comment

I'd give these a glance over:

Special Attention Focused on:
        Generation II
        LQ1
        Generation III

Then have a read into this:

Reading the LX9 stuff in depth.

From there, let us know your thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
          I'd give these a glance over:

Special Attention Focused on:
          Generation II
          LQ1
          Generation III

Then have a read into this:

Reading the LX9 stuff in depth.

From there, let us know your thoughts.
          Thank you... I'm going to check out these links. Will let you know something later on.

Comment

Hello from tennessee

Pretty much the 3100 and 3400 are known for intake manifold gasket problems, which leads to coolant in the oil. If you take care of that, they're great engines, and a huge improvement in every way over the iron head 2.8.

Since it's the same engine family, it makes for an easy/cheap swap into a Fiero if you're good at sourcing parts and not picky about everything being "new" haha.
            '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
              Pretty much the 3100 and 3400 are known for intake manifold gasket problems, which leads to coolant in the oil. If you take care of that, they're great engines, and a huge improvement in every way over the iron head 2.8.

Since it's the same engine family, it makes for an easy/cheap swap into a Fiero if you're good at sourcing parts and not picky about everything being "new" haha.
              Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Does the 3800 have the same issues? I have no problem about used parts. Although I will probably have to have someone do the swap for me. So far, the LQ1 is looking pretty good. Been on Youtube listening to the LQ1 and it sounds really good. Still checking out other ways to go as well.

Comment

I think 3800s have a similar LIM gasket issue but it's also a totally different engine.

LQ1 has its pros and cons. It's also a fairly straightforward swap as far as I can tell but it's much heavier (by about 100 lbs iirc) and supposedly it's a maintenance nightmare. Also the nearest engine in the junkyard is gonna be 7-8 years older than the newer 3100/3400. Aftermarket for the DOHC is more limited as well.
                '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                  I think 3800s have a similar LIM gasket issue but it's also a totally different engine.

LQ1 has its pros and cons. It's also a fairly straightforward swap as far as I can tell but it's much heavier (by about 100 lbs iirc) and supposedly it's a maintenance nightmare. Also the nearest engine in the junkyard is gonna be 7-8 years older than the newer 3100/3400. Aftermarket for the DOHC is more limited as well.
                  Well shoot about the LQ1... but I really appreciate the info. I'm going to check out the other engines that you suggested. Will let you know what I find out.

Comment

I've been trying my best to research on different engines and I'm thinking I'll stick with the 2.8 Fiero motor. (sob story)... I live on my disability check and it's not that much. So I think that would be a better thing for me to do right now. If I can save up, maybe I'll do a swap latter.

So my question has changed (thanks everyone for help with the original question). Are there things I can do to a stock 2.8L that would make it have more power? If I can do small things every now and then it would probably make my life easier.

any suggestions?

Comment

All this followed by a ECM tune: stamped 1.6 rockers, 272-2 cam, headers, ported heads. You might peak 200hp.

Comment

Thanks so much. I'm going to copy your recommendations to a text file so I don't lose it. I've also been on Youtube and saw some turbo 2.8ls. Is that worth it or not?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X