Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Hazel Park, MI

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jason and I have a small shop in Hazel Park, MI. I have been rebuilding these engines for a number of years and have quite a few just lying around.
    I have had this one "Shorty" Montana that I have tried to sell for quite some time. I keeps finding its way back to me and doesn't seem to want to find a new home. So I figure now is some time to have some fun with it! So I am going to embark on a journey that I will document here for a Megasquirt and Turbo install. I am also going to upgrade the brakes and modify the suspension on it so the stance is a little nicer. What I would like from this forum is to learn some of the better parts interchanges to try and make the engine a little more reliable.
    I also work at night on the weekends so I will probably be on here posting between midnight and 8AM.
    So lets here what everyone thinks about building the bottom end first. I'm thinking mostly stock with a rod and piston change. Plus upgrading everything to a set of ARP bolts....

Have any 3500s lying around? If so the stock bottom end is good for about 14-16 psi.

IIRC 3400s tend to have issues with head gaskets and pistons once you hit somewhere between 11 and 14 psi.

If I were starting with a 3500 id leave the bottom end alone and put in a set of head studs.
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I don't have any 3500s. But I was thinking it is cheap enough to get the top end from the u pull yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome! Are you going to get any base line 1/4 mile times on it first?
        1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
        1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
        1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
        14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
        9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
        14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Hey bout time an eastsider from MI popped in!
          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Working...
          X