New Member from Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Ohio

Hi all, I am new to the forum but not in anyway new to cars. I've been on a few different raceteams (currently crewing on the McAttack Nostalgia nitro funny car).
    I own several fieros as parts cars, 1 that I daily drive and another that is going to become a chump racer (86 fiero GT v6 4spd)

A little about myself, I spent 6.5 years in the Marine Corps before being medically discharged, and now I'm pursuing a career in motorsports (it's been interesting so far the path I've had to take to get where i want to go). After the Marines I attended Ohio Technical College's High Performance and Racing program, where I graduated at the top of my class and earned a Associates of Applied Science degree in High Performance and Racing Technology, as well as becoming an Edelbrock Certified installer. I worked for a Race shop for a little while after graduation, and now I work as a CNC operator for a shop that also races Nostalgia Nitro Funny car.

I look forwards to being a part of the community here!

Welcome!

I'm about to start my 6th season racing a Fiero (85 GT) in 24 Hours of LeMons. It's a ton of fun. We've been running an LA1 since our 3rd season and it's been really good to us. What are you planning to run for an engine in the race car?

Comment

Originally posted by neophile_17 View Post
      Welcome!

I'm about to start my 6th season racing a Fiero (85 GT) in 24 Hours of LeMons. It's a ton of fun. We've been running an LA1 since our 3rd season and it's been really good to us. What are you planning to run for an engine in the race car?
      For now it'll probably just be the stock 2.8 v6. I have 5 of them, so unless my budget drastically increases soon, I don't see a reason to run anything else at the moment.

Comment

I haven't run any ChumpCar events but I've heard they are more competitive than LeMons. If that's true you will soon find yourself in need of more power. I did the LA1 swap for ~$800 including Rodney's transmission mounts. This required some idiotic things like pulling an S10 transmission at the junkyard so that I could get the flywheel for $7 but it's possible. I also had access to a mill which it sounds like you also have.

Do not use stock rubber trans/engine mounts they are barely capable of holding a 2.8L and shred instantly with even a modest power increase.

Comment

I haven't run any ChumpCar events but I've heard they are more competitive than LeMons. If that's true you will soon find yourself in need of more power. I did the LA1 swap for ~$800 including Rodney's transmission mounts. This required some idiotic things like pulling an S10 transmission at the junkyard so that I could get the flywheel for $7 but it's possible. I also had access to a mill which it sounds like you also have.

Do not use stock rubber trans/engine mounts they are barely capable of holding a 2.8L and shred instantly with even a modest power increase.
          Everything in the rear of the car is going to be hard mounted. No rubber or polyurethane. Eventually a different engine may find it's way into the bay, but I see no reason now, when there are so many other little things that I'd rather attend to first, and I have spare engines that didn't really cost me anything. Once the car is balanced the way I and the team want it to be, then we can address the engine, if it is determined to be that big of a liability.

Comment

I'd love to know how hard mounting everything works out. I'd be concerned about racing incidents breaking parts instead of shrugging off a hit. You're right that there's a lot to do to make any street car into a race car.

I wouldn't call the 2.8L a liability so much as an underachiever. You can grab the 1.6 ratio non-roller rockers off of an early 3100 (94-95 I think) for a couple extra hp that's nearly free. I did the intakes only based on advice from whatever book I was reading at the time.

It's certainly nice to have spares! Really wish I had a spare V6 4-speed. Mine has been bulletproof but I'd like to have a complete cradle ready to swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 94blackbird View Post
              Hi all, I am new to the forum but not in anyway new to cars. I've been on a few different raceteams (currently crewing on the McAttack Nostalgia nitro funny car).
              I own several fieros as parts cars, 1 that I daily drive and another that is going to become a chump racer (86 fiero GT v6 4spd)

A little about myself, I spent 6.5 years in the Marine Corps before being medically discharged, and now I'm pursuing a career in motorsports (it's been interesting so far the path I've had to take to get where i want to go). After the Marines I attended Ohio Technical College's High Performance and Racing program, where I graduated at the top of my class and earned a Associates of Applied Science degree in High Performance and Racing Technology, as well as becoming an Edelbrock Certified installer. I worked for a Race shop for a little while after graduation, and now I work as a CNC operator for a shop that also races Nostalgia Nitro Funny car.

I look forwards to being a part of the community here!
              Welcome!

I'm from the area too, Brunswick, before I left for the AF. I'm considering taking a similar path as you, but looking at SAM since it is nationally accredited and can use the GI bill to fund it. Looking forward to a build thread!
              '86 Grand National

Comment

Originally posted by 34blazer View Post
                Welcome!

I'm from the area too, Brunswick, before I left for the AF. I'm considering taking a similar path as you, but looking at SAM since it is nationally accredited and can use the GI bill to fund it. Looking forward to a build thread!
                I used my GI bill for Ohio Tech. But there are plenty of good schools so shop around and find the one that best suits your needs.

Comment

I'd love to know how hard mounting everything works out. I'd be concerned about racing incidents breaking parts instead of shrugging off a hit. You're right that there's a lot to do to make any street car into a race car.

I wouldn't call the 2.8L a liability so much as an underachiever. You can grab the 1.6 ratio non-roller rockers off of an early 3100 (94-95 I think) for a couple extra hp that's nearly free. I did the intakes only based on advice from whatever book I was reading at the time.

It's certainly nice to have spares! Really wish I had a spare V6 4-speed. Mine has been bulletproof but I'd like to have a complete cradle ready to swap.
                  I didn't mean to say that the 2.8 is a liability now, just that in the future we may outrun the performance capabilities of the 2.8 once we get the chassis right. Or we may not. Mark that under a big ole' we shall see

Comment

Working...
                  X