Welcome home, my friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome home, my friend!

After a week and a half of being missing, the police contacted me this morning to inform me that they found my car. It is now home, safe and sound.

The damage is contained to the ignition cylinder, which they gouged with a screwdriver. The lower part of the column is broken open, but none of the wires appear to be cut or otherwise harmed. With a little persuasion, he started up with a jump. The indicators work, the wipers work, the cruise works.

Naturally, anything else of even small value was taken from the car, including my prescription glasses I kept in it for driving at night. That will not be expensive to replace—nothing that was taken is. I'm just glad to have it back.
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Glad to see it back! Seems like you got lucky.
    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

AWESOME! Sucks to lose it but glad to hear they didn't fuck it all up.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Plenty of Columns at Pic a Part LV. Glad you got it back! Where'd they find it?
        '86 Grand National

Comment

Originally posted by 34blazer View Post
          Glad you got it back! Where'd they find it?
          About four miles from my house, parked in front of the Dotty's at Lake Mead and Nellis. Only reason it was found is that it had been sitting there for several days and Dotty's reported it abandoned. Metro called me and told me I had about a half hour to go collect it or it would be impounded. The clerk inside the Dotty's was very cross with me, even after I explained that it had been stolen and left there by someone else.

As for the column, I'm not that concerned about it. An ignition cylinder will make it useable again. I have another car lined up, but I probably won't post too much about it, since it has a 3.3L Buick V6.
          Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Nice man, at least you got it back!
            sigpic
            1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
            1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
            350/NV3500 5spd
            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Originally posted by LeftVentricle View Post
              The clerk inside the Dotty's was very cross with me, even after I explained that it had been stolen and left there by someone else.
              Some people are just too ignorant...

I can't stand a thief. I know law states I cannot shoot someone for breaking into my home unless they make like they are going for a weapon, but my thinking is dead men tell no tales. I have no mercy for a thief as I work too hard for what I have just to have someone come in and try to take it from me. Prescription glasses? Wow, that's a pathetic thief... but I'm glad you got your car back with minimal damage compared to what they could have done.

Last time I had to get a column they ran $100. I bet the lazy cops didn't even dust for prints, did they?
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Of course they didn't dust for prints. Why would the police do their job and try to find the culprit?

The problem with the steering column is that, like many other things on this car, it has to come from a '95 or '96 A-body only, because it has an airbag, and the wiring is different from earlier cars. It's especially galling because I have a column sitting in my garage from an '89 that would physically bolt in, but I don't know if the ignition would work. car-part.com has listings for the column, but none are local. I'll have to drive to either southern California or southern Utah.

Comment

Yeah, cops around here gall me too.

Couple years ago a guy went door to door checking for unlocked houses to rob, they didn't catch him. Early this summer the house across the street and a couple other houses got broken into around 8 when most people are at work, they didn't catch them. But when I'm laying in the hospital bed dope up on morphine and my hand is swollen twice it's normal size from an infection I got by being bit by my wife's cat giving him a flea bath, they didn't hesitate to get there and write me a ticket for harboring a non-immunized dog for the wrong court and wrong day, then wonder why I refuse to pay the ticket. I have no respect for 90% of law enforcement... And they wonder why most people hate cops...

Still glad you got your car back. Too bad it's not a W body, I would send you the one from the 91 for shipping.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                  X