got dimensions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got dimensions?

well, I decided that since I paid my truck off, it was time to acquire a new tool as a present, I think this little... er... big guy should come in handy!

I had wanted a 3d printer for years, but never found one that met my desires that wasn't ridiculously expensive. the build area on this thing is huge! 28"x13"x15" I figure that's big enough to prototype an intake manifold if I wanted (I do...) Lead time on the machine is supposed to be 3 weeks, I'm hoping it's alot faster than that, but I'll just have to wait and see.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Nice! I bought a 3D printer a couple of your ago now, but haven't used it in probably a year. Mine only has about a 10"x10"x10" printing area, so I could never do a whole manifold, but other items have crossed my mind. Make sure to post pics once you get it going!
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I thought I posted this in "other" not intros... I'll post lots of pictures. the big plan is to use it to make molds for metal castings.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

6x6x7 is my build area and I haven't used it much after the first couple months. Mostly because its a pile of garbage:/ Consistency is non existent, so I lost interest in learning how to design parts.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

well, I'm hoping I don't run into the same problems, if I do, I'll just have to figure out a way to fix those too. I have a few ideas for ways to improve rigidity if it becomes necessary.

Comment

Rigidity isn't the issue I have. Its the Z offset, and either the belt system itself, firmware, sensor feedback touching off the corners, or...its just a pile of garbage. Ill get it dialed in, and 3 prints later its eating the bed on the first layer.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Don't know if I'd trust most publicly available 3d printed materials for an intake manifold. I don't think they could handle the heat and pressure. We use some 3D printed prototype parts for testing at work (GM powertrain), but they are commercial machines using special materials that are both extremely expensive. Not the kind of stuff people can typically get at home.
              '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
              '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
              13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
              Gotta love boost!

Comment

Got the bed leveled and the belt tension figured out. i think. Its consistent and close enough across the table as far as the first layer height goes. He wants to cast a manifold after its made with a 3D printer.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by AaronGTR View Post
                  Don't know if I'd trust most publicly available 3d printed materials for an intake manifold. I don't think they could handle the heat and pressure. We use some 3D printed prototype parts for testing at work (GM powertrain), but they are commercial machines using special materials that are both extremely expensive. Not the kind of stuff people can typically get at home.
                  I wouldn't make the actual manifold on the printer, just a prototype, then I would use the printer to make molds that could be sand casted

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post

I wouldn't make the actual manifold on the printer, just a prototype, then I would use the printer to make molds that could be sand casted
                    Makes sense. That would be very doable and should be able to make some custom, sturdy parts that way.
                    '97 Grand Prix GT 3800 (sold)
                    '00 Grand Am GT 3400 supercharged
                    13.788 @ 103.73 mph, 320whp 300 ft/lbs
                    Gotta love boost!

Comment

Hmm, are 3D printed materials very durable though?

Comment

sorry about the response delay...

as far as material durability, I plan to use the printer to make mock up parts, that can then be used to have billet parts, or sand cast parts made. some people seem to think a 3d printed intake manifold is feasible in consumer grade material with a consumer grade printer, but I'm not sold yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X