Bringing a 95 Grand Am SE back to life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
    I bake them in an oven and then blast them. A container that will fit the manifold and fill it with simple green will also work, but you gotta let it sit overnight. If you can get formula 88, that is what I would use instead but it isn't available in Indiana.
    Thanks, I've got a big container of Purple Power, I'm hoping that'll do the trick.

Comment

Cleaned up one of the steering knuckles, probably going to have these powder coated. I want to do the same for the front suspension supports, need to patch a rust hole that developed underneath one of the sway bar mounts.

Pic of the hub bearings:

I've got the upper plenum soaking in Purple Power, been in there a couple days... been busy, can't wait to hose it off and finish cleaning it up!

Comment

I guess I'm going to have to blast this stuff... the Purple Power got rid of the grease, oil, and carbon, but also seems to eat away some of the metal as well. The finish is now inconsistent. Pretty impressive though, my parts cleaner couldn't pull this off:

Comment

Hey SappySE107, a buddy of mine has a blast cabinet he's going to let me use next weekend... I was talking to my dad about it and he raised the concern of being able to get all of the sand out of the plenum afterwards. How do you make sure all of the sand gets removed?

Comment

Bake the manifold till all the oil is dried out, and there won't be anything for the media to stick to. Should be easy to clean out once you are done if there is nothing gooey in there.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The Purple Power didn't leave any oil behind, cleaned it out dry. The remaining carbon in the EGR passage wasn't gooey, it was hard as a rock and a real pain to get out, but it's all clean. Good to know, thanks!

Comment

Got some blasting done yesterday, first time doing it. Pretty satisfying when you're done... Did the plenum, valve covers, steering knuckles, and front suspension supports.

Comment

Opened a can of tin worm on one of the suspension supports:

Made a cardboard template and used some scrap steel to make the cutout:

One layer cut and in place for welding:

First time doing something like this... doesn't look too pretty, but I ground it down:

Second layer welded in:

Is this piece really necessary? Is it just a jacking point? This one is pretty crusty on the inside.

Comment

Hey SappySE107, do you know if a manual out of a '97 2.2L Cavalier is strong enough for my L82? I'm not sure which 5 speed came in that year. Found one in the junkyard.

Comment

I really don't know. There are a few that have been used but I don't know if all the 2.2s were the same as far as transmission options go.
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I've heard of people using the Getrag F23, but that one is pretty hard to come by. Wikipedia lists an Isuzu 5 speed and the Getrag 282 also. I know the 282 will work but I'm guessing this Cavalier has the Isuzu 5 speed, I don't know anything about that one.

I know a manual conversion is another can of worms I should just leave alone, but it's so tempting. Finding the interior parts might be more of a challenge than a transmission though. Not many 92-95's left in the JY at this point.
                        Last edited by manbearpig; 01-16-2021, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Was lucky to find some rust free fenders at the junkyard, the ones on the car are in decent shape except for the bottoms at the back of the wheels.

The passenger frame rail rusted out at the sway bar mount, the second layer of metal either rusted away or fell out. Made a new one to match the other side, welded it in.

Comment

Nice update! Keep at the hard work.
                            14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

Working...
                            X