X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Friends at www.clubgp.com have recognized us

Link removed so that more people don't get the urge to read it

-Brad
    Last edited by bszopi; 03-08-2007, 09:29 PM.
    Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
    02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
    www.blackbombshell95.com

Damn it, no. I don't care about their opinions. They can't touch the 1600 hp TT 3.6 DOHC GM built so there goes the "less potential" idea. 750hp TT 2.5 from back in the day would tell anyone in the know that the 60V6 has potential.

As for the potential to keep you warm and cook your food, the L67 port-a-pit is by far the best setup.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

"The 3800 is stout and reliable, its a workhorse, and thats why its been around for so long."
      Just a thought.
      Has GM ever put a 3800 into a truck like they did with a 2.8 (s10, Sonoma) ? The only RWD 3.8 that I know of is a Camaro and GN, but those are not comparable to the modern 3800, correct?
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Nope, they got the 4.3. The 3.8 buick is much better than the 3800.

Whats funny is the last time they had an L67 vs 60V6 thread, I read the most absurd comments

"I bet they hate the LS1 too"
        "They are just jealous"
        "3.4 DOHC is impossible to work on"

I need an art student to make a design for me. I have a shirt idea
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
          "I bet they hate the LS1 too"
          "They are just jealous"
          "3.4 DOHC is impossible to work on"
          Everyone who talks like that prolly thinks their 3800 IS a LS1 or LT1...LS2 FTW
          Last edited by bszopi; 03-06-2007, 12:21 PM.
          Originally posted by wozxx...{is 92 mph in a school zone illegal?}
          I was going relatively fast thru a school zone and was caught. However, I managed to zip into a neighborhood and evade the cop. Could I get additional tickets by trying to run?

Comment

"Well, that makes sense since the 60° motors are gutless garbage and the 90° ones seem to run forever and make power at the same time. There is a reason GM decided to dump the 60° motors and run with the 90's. Just ask all the 3800 Fiero owners."

Talk about stupid! The 90° is going "bye bye" while the 60° is going strong.
            Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

It seems this has become an annual thing. Some newb over on ClubGP browses over here, sees some trash talk or whatever on the L67, then decides to post a thread about it over there. Do these people not understand that the shirt was created over 3 years ago as a joke, and has since sold a whopping 10 shirts!! Big flippin deal...

To counter their comment about locking threads dealing with the L67, I will say that yes I do lock the threads, but only after I point the person to www.l67swap.com . Being as this site is for 60ºV6 engines and performance, why should we keep posts open that deal with getting rid of the engine that this site is based on?!?! Only make sense to me... Maybe one of them should create 90ºV6.com and then they can bash on us. Until then, its something that is annoying because its always someone on ClubGP that has to bring it up.
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

n/a 3500 200 hp n/a 3800 200hp and way heavier. and i dont car what they say 660's sound sexy 690's sound like asshole. if anythin we have that

Comment

Let them whine and drive their buicks.

Comment

660's sound sexy 690's sound like asshole
                    haha thats great, allmost sig worthy

Comment

The 2004 cross-site arguement (ie, when we first made the shirts) : http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php...ghlight=CLUBGP

Too bad they removed their version of the thread from their forum...
                      -Brad-
                      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                      sigpic
                      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i wont even touch this one. 3900 = 240hp n/a, L67 = 240hp w/ blower. sounds simple to me.

and BTW = LSx for the biggest win of all time. i'm doing 2 or 3 swaps this year. the wagon is getting a 4.8 first as a step up to a 6.0 with the new 6.2 heads, we're doing a carbed 6.0 with the 6.2 heads and gm HOT cam for my buddy's auto-x camaro, and when i build my 6.0 the 4.8 is going into my dad's 48 chevy or the 40 chevy pickup i've got a line on.

Comment

Id almost want to do the LS1 into the 74 cutlass, but its keeping an olds motor in it.

With that new diesel 60V6, we can easily out torque the L67:P Thank you GM, for backing and expanding the best V6 platform available No bias here...I swear! hahaha, ok a little

So who can do some graphics? Im serious about the shirt.
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

well, I was bored, so I read all of what they have to say. Okay. My 1990 Grand Prix STE is WAY underpowered. My GRANDMOTHERS 1999 Grand Am with the 4 banger is faster. BUT..... She only gets 25 MPG on the highway. I am currently getting an average of 42 MPG on the highway.

That is my only real complaint. STOCK FOR STOCK, the 3.1 is slow. The 3.4 is faster, but there ya go. I don't understand how those people can IN GOOD CONSCIENCE compare a BLOWN 3.8 V6 to a NA 3.1. Even if you compare it to the 3100, or 3400, I just can't compare a BLOWN engine to an NA one.

I am one of the people that trash the L67, but for me, I do it for the SAME REASON that THEY trash the 660. I HATE the way that they feel the L67 is the greatest engine ever created. It is their ATTITUDE that pisses me off. To be honest, I would not mind getting a 2000 Buick Regal GS, but I would ONLY get it with the SUPERCHARGED engine. It is a big car, so it needs a strong engine, and in STOCK FORM, the L67 is the most powerful engine that it came with. I also would not mind having a 1999~ish Buick Riviera, but likewise, I would only get it with the BLOWN engine.

There. I said it. I am a KNOWN hater of the L67, but I just confessed to liking 2 cars that came with that engine. The world is still spinning. W-body.come still sucks. Dr. Pepper still taste better than Pepsi (damn you taco bell). I am still rebuilding a 3.4 DOHC for my 1995 Cutlass Supreme (I am not interested in an L67 swap).

There is someone over there that said it right. The way GM is heading right now, ALL divisions of GM should be PULLING TOGETHER. I HONESTLY feel that if the 660 had as big of an aftermarket as the buick POS, then the situations would be reveresed.

Also, it takes a LONG TIME for an aftermarket to happen. It took several years for the buick engine to get an aftermarket (I can remember before W-body.com was it's own site looking for aftermarket parts, and the buick engine had just as small of a following as the 660). Now that GM is killing off the buick engine, and the 660's take off, then it is only a matter of time before we start seeing just as strong of an aftermarket for the 60* as the 90*.
                            Taylor
                            1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                            1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                            1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                            1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                            "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

I LOVE boredom. Just for shits n giggles, I decided to look up the POWER NUMBERS for some of the basic 60* engines, and compare them to the buick numbers. I took the HP, and TQ numbers, and divided them by the DISPLACEMENT to find out about how much power it makes PER LITER. I then put them on a spreadsheat to see WHICH ENGINES ARE MORE EFFICIENT STOCK FOR STOCK. These are my results (HP and TQ numbers were taken from MSN AUTO's).

the 3.1 MPFI in a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix makes 140 HP and 185 TQ
                              HP PER L: 45.16
                              TQ PER L: 59.67

The 1995 Cutlass Supreme with a 3100 makes 160 HP and 185 TQ
                              HP PER L: 51.61
                              TQ PER L: 59.67

The 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3100 makes 175 HP and 195 TQ
                              HP PER L: 56.45
                              TQ PER L: 62.90

The 1993 Cutlass Supreme with the 3.4 DOHC makes 200 HP and 215 TQ
                              HP PER L: 58.82
                              TQ PER L: 63.23

The 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with the 3.4 DOHC makes 215 HP and 220 TQ
                              HP PER L: 63.20
                              TQ PER L: 64.70

The 2000 Grand Am with the 3400 (normal Grand AM) makes 170 HP and 200 TQ
                              HP PER L: 50.00
                              TQ PER L: 58.82

The HIGH OUTPUT 2000 Grand Am makes 174 HP and 205 TQ
                              HP PER L: 51.47
                              TQ PER L: 60.29

The 2000 Grand Prix with the 3800 makes 200 HP and 225 TQ
                              HP PER L: 52.63
                              TQ PER L: 59.21

now here is some FUN information.

The SUPERCHARGED 2000 Grand Prix 3800 makes 240 HP and 280 TQ
                              HP PER L: 63.15
                              TQ PER L: 73.68

The TURBOCHARGED Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1 makes 205 HP and 220 TQ
                              HP PER L: 66.12
                              TQ PERL: 70.96

I also did the 3500 and the two different 3900's from a 2006 Pontiac G6.

3500:
                              HP PER L: 57.62
                              HP PER L: 63.42

The GT 3900:
                              HP PER L: 58.20
                              HP PER L: 60.25

The GTP 3900:
                              HP PER L: 61.53
                              HP PER L: 61.53

When I did this, I just used the windows calculator and I did NOT round up the second digit, so do the math yourself if you are in dispute of this.

FIRST OF ALL, comparing NA TO NA (not counting the 3500 and 3900, but the engines that are in dispute here), the MOST EFFICIENT ENGINE (according to HP) is as follows:

3.4 DOHC
                              3100 SFI (newer)
                              3800 NA
                              3100 SFI (older)
                              3400 HO
                              3400 SFI
                              3.1 MPFI

The MOST EFFICIENT engine according to TORQUE is as follows:

3.4 DOHC
                              3100 SFI (newer)
                              3400 HO
                              3.1 MPFI and 3100 SFI (older) are TIED
                              3800 NA
                              3400 SFI

NOW
                              Comparing the NEWER engines, and the FORCED INDUCTION engines are as follows:

The MOST EFFICIEND newer/Forced according to HP are as follows:

3.1 TURBO
                              3800 SC
                              3900 GTP
                              3900 GT

and the most efficiend of the newer/forced according to TQ are as follows:

3800 SC
                              3.1 TURBO
                              3900 GTP
                              3900 GT

So to RECAP, the ONLY way the L67 is QUOTE/UNQUOTE "better" than the 60* is in the fact that it is the most efficient as far as the TORQUE OUTPUT PER LITRE.

I did two last little calculations. Since the 3.4 DOHC is the MOST EFFICIENT in the NA engines, if it was a 3.8 litre instead of a 3.4 liter, it would be making:

HP: 223.516 (224 HP)
                              TQ: 240.274 (240 TQ)

So the 3.4 DOHC at 3.8 litres would make 24 HP, and 15 HP MORE than a STOCK, NA 3800).

In the same sense of FORCED INDUCTION, if the 3.1 TURBO was made as a 3.8 litre, then it would make:

HP: 251.256 (251 HP)
                              TQ: 269.648 (270 TQ)

Meaning a 3.1 TURBO with a 3.8 litre displacement would make 11 HP MORE, and 10 TQ LESS than the 3800 SUPERCHARGED)

These last numbers are not meant to mean that if you overbore a 3.4 DOHC or a 3.1 TURBO to 3.8 litres that you would immediatly get these power numbers. It is just a referance towards EFFICINCY. If the 3.1 TURBO was made with the SAME EFFICIENCY but at 3.8 LITREs, then it that would be the power output, etc.

Reguardless of all the way I seperated the numbers, 3.4 DOHC is still more efficient than the 3800 SUPERCHARGED (albeit not by much), as far as HORSEPOWER goes. Most people only talk about the HP numbers, so there ya go.

I just wish that people would do some number crunching like this before they just start a BLATANT hating thread. It did not take me long for figuring out the easiest way to figure out effiency by dividing the HP and TQ numbers by the displacement to give me the power per litre. I think that is probably one of the best ways to determine how efficient the engine is.

If you are going to go head to head with a STOCK engine, you have to know as much about it as you can. If you want to hate the STOCK 3.1 MPFI for being slower than a STOCK 3800, then prehaps you should do what I just did, and figure out that if the 3.1 MPFI was made as a 3.8 MPFI, it would make:

172 HP, and
                              227 TQ.

In the same sense, if the NA 3800 was REDUCED in displacment all the way down to a 3.1 litre, then it would make:

163 HP, and
                              184 TQ.

That means that a SMALLER buick 3.1 would be only 23 HP more, and 1 TQ LESS than a STOCK chevy 3.1

When you get the 2 cars on those terms, then it makes you realized that as far as power goes, they are pretty close to being matched.

Also, keep in mind that in my example, I used the 3.1 MPFI instead of a newer 3100, in which the 3100 made with the larger displacement would be:

215 HP, and
                              239 TQ. Meaning a NEWER (LG8 ) 3100 at 3.8 displacment (chevy LG8 style 3800 60* V6) would have 15 HP and 14 TQ MORE than a BUICK 90* 3800.

I could go on forever like this, but if you have read all of this, then you can follow the trend that I am making.....

God, I need a life.
                              Last edited by 3100 MPFI; 03-07-2007, 05:37 AM. Reason: added smart-ass comment
                              Taylor
                              1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                              1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                              1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                              1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                              "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Working...
                              X