Your Input Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Input Needed

I'm probably going to regret this, but oh well...

Ben and I have been talking some lately about the current status of the site. Obviously, we are thrilled with the activity in the forums, the tons of new members joining everyday, and the continued professionalism (for the most part) of everyone on the site.

But, as with the cars that bring us all together, you just always keep tinkering and playing and wanting more. So that is what this is about. What do you, the members, want out of this site? What would make it just that much better for you?

I know one of the biggest things that I would like to see (and I know Ben will agree) is the articles to grow. But we need input from the members for that to happen. I would LOVE it if someone was doing some research on an upcoming project they were about to tackle, and they just copied and pasted revelant information from various threads into a text file and emailed it to me (NOTE: if you do this, include a link to the original thread as well). That way, we can put together an article for the next person who plans on doing the same thing. Sure, its all in the forums, but as you all know, topics tend to get sidetracked all the time.

I am also trying to work with a vB coder to convert the old Garage to a vB mod. I've been talking to him on and off for several months now, but we have both been so busy that we really haven't gotten anywhere with the process. But its something I still want to bring back to the site.

Anyway, like I said above. I want to hear from you, our members, because what I think might be a good idea may not be. And I'm not always good at coming up with ideas anyway.... So feel free to offer anything. From ideas for new content, to ideas for changes to the site layout and design. Any and all input is appreciated.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

i think some sort of detailed tuning guides, maybe a step by step learning process. flags, ccp, egr ect.. what are they, usfulness ect.., next step, tables ect.. ect.. catagorized by prom mask

df 8f a1 are commonly ran on the 60v6 and would be good
    i have learnt alot, but i feel i could learn more, but im so busy lately i hav'nt even been touching my car, i would like to help out, but i see myself as still learning and dont want to give bad, or contraversial info or ideas on tuning, but would really like to see a healthy place for one to learn tuning, here at 60v6.com

obd2 tuning would be cool too

----------

i like the layout of the site, except for minor things like alignment

some things are like a mm or 2 off on either side lol :P

----------

i like the how-to article section, and would love to see it grow, i have a digital camera, and would love to help out, just havnt really needed to do anything to the car with me being so broke i cant afford to do anything lol

Comment

A lot of what sil said applies to me. I know I know a lot, but what if I tell something bad? The last thing I want to EVER see is someone post "Well, I did what Taylor said, and it really messed up my engine."

One thing that I DO do a lot of, is take pictures.

I might try to do a writeup of the OBD2 swap in my 1988. I started a thread on it, but once it is done, I might do a writeup, and submit it.
      Taylor
      1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
      1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
      1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
      1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
      "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

I just thought of something. I think the site could benefit from an ELECTRICAL and BODY section.

I know this is an engine site, but sometimes I have some questions about electical and fiberglas things, and I would prefer to ask here. Just about everyone on here has so much knowledge, and I would rather ask here, than on a site like Club GP (Club L67?) or other kids sites.

I would rather ask on a site like this one to get PROFESSIONAL answers, and input that on a site where kids will ask more WHY questions than give help.

I know we have the OFF TOPIC area, but when I post there, I never seem to get the results like I would in a normal area.

Not all of the people here TROLL in the off topic areas afterall.
        Taylor
        1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
        1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
        1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
        1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
        "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

an FAQ would be a great thing to have. i continualy notice threads about weather top end swaps are possible (3100 with 3400 heads) and weather or not its possible to use a supercharger from a 3800 on a 3.1.

another thing would be a how to scan an obd1 without a scanner and a full code list.

Comment

FAQ would be the index page for the articles IMO. There are frequently asked questions spanning a lot of motors. Top end swaps/Hybrids would be excellent to have in depth lists and pictures. I have thought about all the stuff that "could" happen. I only know what has.

Whoever starts the discussion gets their name on the article, putting them in charge of the article. As you can see, Brad owns the DOHC articles even though I wrote them. He uploaded the info last and now they are in his name. I personally don't care who gets the author spot as long as they take care of it. Brad, should I put my name on it so all those PMs that you forward just go to me instead? I didn't care if my name was on it but apparently it would work out better if the author of the article is someone that could answer the question. If we are going to get organized, we better put authors to articles that can take care of it.

There is a pretty easy way to start an article. Instead of replying in the next thread regarding whatever topic that comes up often, make a new article. Then link to it and say "this is what I have, if you can add to it or revise it, there it is". You don't have to quote it, but you get the idea. If something is wrong, someone can post, and you can correct it, or an admin or mod can correct it. Nothing is sacred on this site, as everything is open for discussion.

Anyway, There is a lot that could be done. I have been making pdf files of the bcc codes, which lists the specs for the chip and the superceded chip revisions. I need to finish that (a LOT of codes...), upload the rest of my known 60V6 codes (I think I have 64 total), and work more on a tuning FAQ. Its hard to write a tuning guide when I can't even remember all the basics to start with right now. If I was to tune a car, id think of more but right now, I only know that I can tackle quite a bit with OBD1. I got nothing on OBD2.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Tuning : I agree, it would be great to put together something for people to be able to reference when they go about tuning. I won't be able to help with this, as I have no experience. And I'm sure Ben won't want to divulge too much info since he sells chips. And I bet I can convince at least 1 of the several people on here to put together a somewhat entry-level to intermediate-level write-up on tuning OBD2. Andy (sprucegagt) comes to mind...

As far as the FAQs goes, I somewhat agree with Ben, although some of the items you mentioned aren't currently in the Articles section. So it might be something to add. Also, I might come up with an overall Articles "Table of Contents", so that people can see a listing of ALL of the articles to find out what section they are in. What seems like common sense to one person, may not be as clear to another. And then there is always cross-referencing between sections. We might have something covered in one section, that could also apply to another section (3.1 and 3100 information for instance).

Anyway, keep the ideas coming!
              -Brad-
              sigpic

Comment

ARTICLES, ARTICLES, ARTICLES... the few I have seen are EXTREMELY helpful.

I also concur that a body section is needed, it won't be long before our cars start rusting out (like mine), maybe tips and tricks for getting rid of that little rust spot.

I'd like to see articles on:

Bleeding Cooling System.
                Proper Set - Ups (I.E. Spark Plugs, Proper Coolant)
                What is Crap for a DOHC (A Do Not Buy Section)
                General Maintenance (Timings for Changes of Various Things)

I am willing to help out us much as I can, I do have my motor in pieces, a girl did destroy the whole thing. I am very well versed with pictures and writing. You can count me in for a detailed article on how to bleed the cooling system if I ever get it figured out. I can also give you a detailed article on how to change a gas tank.

I have commonly saw parts under the hood I have had no idea do what (until now) maybe a picture gallery of what each sensor looks like, what it does, etc.

Also I have done alot of shopping around for stuff on the net for the car, it seems that some sites have more then others, what about a list of companies that sell certain stuff w/links.

Comment

I'd be happy to help out. I've got TONS of pictures of 2.8/3.1/3400/3500 stuff.

I do have a write-up on the 3500 swap into a Jbody but it's missing pictures and a few random things...
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Reconsider the Ebay posting rule

Reconsider the "No posting Ebay links" to your own sale items for the following reasons:

PROS:

1. The benefit of allowing it is that someone can probably use the item in a bad way. Especially if it's hard to find.

2. It's a good venue to encourage members who use the privilege to donate to the forum for maintenance and product developement in return.

3. It helps us fund relatively expensive personal projects that can then be detailed on the forum for others to duplicate with the benefit of the previous experience.

4. Saying I can't post a link to my own item, but someone else can do it for me is difficult for me to rationalize, because it amounts to a minor technicality.

CONS:
                    1. Competition only if similar parts are in the store, and only if multiple quantities are available .

Of course this is my opinion and there are concerns I'm not aware of, but under the current rule the potential buyer and seller lose; the prospective buyer may never find that a needed item is available. The seller has less of a chance to get a good price for the item up for sale. "I got first dibs on it" is very restrictive.

I say remove the ban and be more active about encouraging members to donate to the forum, just like public radio does. If everyone gave a dollar that would be nice wouldn't it.

This is the best 60 degree related forum on the net to my knowledge. The information be it documentation or member input is incredible and yes I will be donating more.

Give it some thought.

Comment

The reason the ebay ban is on there goes like this... If you are going to offer it for sale, pick a price and put it in the for sale area. If no one is interested, then put it on ebay. The main reason is so there aren't arguements on the site.

For instance... Say I had a 3500 plenum, and I immediately put it on ebay, and linked to the auction as well. Now say both you and Ben wanted it. It becomes a bidding war. Sure, the I may win by getting a higher price for the item, but now one of our members (you?) is pissed at another (Ben?) because you both wanted it and Ben sniped you at the last second. If it was listed on here first for, let's say $100... if you were willing to spend $100 and Ben wasn't, then its yours.

Is that an irrational thought process? Maybe... The intent was, try selling it on here first, to the members of the site. If you don't get any interest in it, put it on ebay. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that we will allow you to list the auction in the original post where you tried selling it on here first.

Make sense? But, I may be open to change if needed....
                      -Brad-
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, you can post it in your thread if it doesn't sell here, just don't create a thread saying 'look what I have". Might be a stipulation if someone else sees and and posts so how about we just eliminate ALL ebay links unless you try it here and it doesn't sell and you post it on ebay instead.

Or let everyone sign up, post their ebay shit, and leave. That is what happens. I don't care. Darin doesn't care (cause he doesn't post here anymore or visit the site).
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I understand the need to avoid conflict, however anyone getting upset about loosing at bidding on an Ebay item can be considered somewhat irrational in that the very process occurs under the premise that you might not win.

The rule would be more coherent if it were banned altogether, the current rule works like our legal system tends to where a law can be circumvented legally by taking a different approach. Like having someone else post a link for you in this case. Loop hole.

For example, the city and local gov't in Florida leveled the playing field a bit for minority contractors competeing with big buisness a few years ago. Big buisness undid that process by putting their wives (for minority status) on the payroll and having them bid on contracts which restored the unfair advantage.

Give it some thought. I've been a member of the Fiero Forum for years and the atmosphere here on 60 Degree is much, much better which says a lot about the nature of the members. When prompted in advance to follow conduct rules I don't think there will be a problem.

Comment

i think ben makes a great point, people abusing the system just to sell an item

maybe there can be a system where you need x amount of posts and x amount (physical limit) of days before posting in the buy/sell thread.
                            im sure brad can rig something up.

then make it alittle more lieniant, like say try here and if it doesnt sell for 3 days you are allowed to post a link of your auction on ebay.
                            the ebay auction must be started only after the three days of being on here (4th day)
                            this way the regulars trying to sell stuff dont have to wait ages
                            and the newbs taht sign up to sell, well they cant

cons: spam posts trying to reach the allowed limit

repercusions
                            raising the amount of characters required for a reply, or new post
                            to prevent the LOL or i agree posts
                            dont go too crazy on the length req cause then people will be discouraged to post
                            the newbs have say 100 posts before the "reply character length limitation" gets reduced

have a warning system in place
                            the rule breakers will get x amounts of warnings ie 10, spam posts like ..................................lol i agree ............................ and circumvention of rules will get ya warned as will breaking other rules
                            have a sticky (global) rule set/ mini posting faq

im with ben, right now i cant really think of anything to write up for tuning lol
                            i got it all in my head but its kinda stored everywhere and unorganized

-----------------

i think after this "ideas" thread gets full, we can start an asigning thread, where peopel can post and says hey i can do that, and make a list of to-do's

i hope everyone is keeping a piece of paper and pen in front of them for when ideas pop into thier head
                            Last edited by sil; 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sil View Post
                              i think ben makes a great point, people abusing the system just to sell an item

maybe there can be a system where you need x amount of posts and x amount (physical limit) of days before posting in the buy/sell thread.
                              im sure brad can rig something up.
                              I recently joined another forum, wher ethere is a BB mod in place that I ca NOT post in the buy/sell section for 30 days, it's more than an annoyance. I saw a few items that I wanted to ask questins about but was nt able to reply in the thread directly, so i had to PM the OP, if PMing the OP applied, where as other threads a more general concensus reply is what would be best.

All in all, Two very large thumbs down for no buy/sell/trade posts for x amount of days/posts.

Same goes for another mod on another site I also recently registered on, whee I was not able to post links in my post until I had made 5 previous posts, whihc was BS, because I wanted my first post to be showing off what I had accomplished in the past (and some planned), so what did I do? I made 5 pretty pointless posts in other threads just so that my post could was high enough to post the links (They were to pics BTW). Two thumbs down for that idea too.

then make it alittle more lieniant, like say try here and if it doesnt sell for 3 days you are allowed to post a link of your auction on ebay.
                              the ebay auction must be started only after the three days of being on here (4th day)
                              this way the regulars trying to sell stuff dont have to wait ages
                              and the newbs taht sign up to sell, well they cant

cons: spam posts trying to reach the allowed limit

repercusions
                              raising the amount of characters required for a reply, or new post
                              to prevent the LOL or i agree posts
                              dont go too crazy on the length req cause then people will be discouraged to post
                              the newbs have say 100 posts before the "reply character length limitation" gets reduced

have a warning system in place
                              the rule breakers will get x amounts of warnings ie 10, spam posts like ..................................lol i agree ............................ and circumvention of rules will get ya warned as will breaking other rules
                              have a sticky (global) rule set/ mini posting faq

im with ben, right now i cant really think of anything to write up for tuning lol
                              i got it all in my head but its kinda stored everywhere and unorganized

-----------------

i think after this "ideas" thread gets full, we can start an asigning thread, where peopel can post and says hey i can do that, and make a list of to-do's

i hope everyone is keeping a piece of paper and pen in front of them for when ideas pop into thier head
                              I can understand the reason for restricting buy/sell posts and ebay links, but it's really quite annoying and pulls away from why we are here on the site, to exchange information and ideas.

That being said, someone that is selling 660 specific parts are going to be quite knowledgeable about the engines and therfore probably will also be involved in the discussions overall. Maybe less than some members, I really don't see what the problem is if someone wants to offer the parts, even as ebay auctions only. If someone from the site wants that item, why are we restricting the ability to find said item, all seems counterproductive to me.

Anyway, I'll come back to ideas and such later, I'll come up with some, overall, I use the site the way I want to, already, and I don't think there's really anything that would make me want to use this site more, probably because I like to gather information from several sites and not just one, even if all the same people are on all those sites. There always seems to be a slightly different outcome from one site to another where the same orginal discussion had started.

Comment

Working...
                              X