Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$2200 Bill to have 6 Dash Pieces Painted!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $2200 Bill to have 6 Dash Pieces Painted!!

I dropped off 6 dash pieces. A pillar, B pillar, Radio bezel, Dash bezel that goes around the speedo, and the 2 long floor plastic pieces that run the length of the door on the floor.

I dropped off my dash pieces their to get them painted black. And to have a universal Triple pod molded to my A pillar.

And after they finish they told me that I owe them $2000 plus tax!!!!

They are billing me for 30 hours. And they said that they gave me 18 free hours. Shop labor is $65 an hour.

I did not sign anything or authorize for that amount of money.

Can they sue me and win if I don't pay them? Or does law require them to give me an estimate or make me sign something if the bill is going to be over a certain amount. I'm in Washington State. And the shop is "Sounds Sinsational." It is a local Stereo Upholestry shop.
    Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
    02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
    www.blackbombshell95.com

Law probably doesn't require them to give you an estimate. But I don't think I'd ever bring something into a place without asking at least a ballpark figure before I let them loose on the project. Sadly, I think you are gonna be SOL...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
      Law probably doesn't require them to give you an estimate. But I don't think I'd ever bring something into a place without asking at least a ballpark figure before I let them loose on the project. Sadly, I think you are gonna be SOL...
      SOL as in out of my dash pieces or I'm stuck with that bill anyway that I look at it.
      02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
      www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Thats 100% insane. It doesn't take that long to paint. The gauge pod isn't worth the rest of that cost.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

What did they do to get the paint? Swim to china, and dive to the bottom of the yellow sea to hunt down special octopi for the ink to make the black paint?

In all honesty, if you did not ask for an estimate before giving them the parts, you are SOL.
          Taylor
          1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
          1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
          1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
          1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
          "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

So that was really a $3120 job but they cut you a deal. Im in the wrong business.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

what did they paint with, a nanoHVLP gun? That would take 30 hrs right there!! I say if they don't have your info, they can keep the new jewels they created. Go get a parts car for the stuff you need again.
              Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
              3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
              Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
              2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
              TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

if you did not sign a work order, you are not legaly bound to pay anything. when you sign a work order, you are signing a contract agreeing to pay the said amount (wich has to be in writing). they cant sue you over it, but you also cant sue them over it.

basicly, head out to the junkyard and get some more stuff and do it yourself.

Comment

$2K? You could have gotten an entire paint job from MAACO for less than that!

I would take a day off of work and stand in front of their shop with a sign, lol.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey View Post
                    if you did not sign a work order, you are not legaly bound to pay anything. when you sign a work order, you are signing a contract agreeing to pay the said amount (wich has to be in writing). they cant sue you over it, but you also cant sue them over it.

^agreed ... like he said you are not leagally bound to pay for that since you didn't put forward any written authorization for them to perform the work, but the downside (if ya wanna call it that @ $2K) is you can't get your pieces unless you pay for them, so I guess ya need to find some new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkey View Post

That's exactly what my wise old father said. And that's the advice i'm looking to take. But I did authorize him verbally to paint the pieces black and to mold the universal pod to the a pillar. But I had no idea that it would cost $2200. Am I still stuck with the bill even if I authorized him verbally to paint the pieces black?
                      02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                      www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Maybe it's a joke put on by a radio station? Is Ashton Kutcher going to come out from the back, and you be punkd?!? I'd seriously think that if I were in that situation.
                        Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
                        3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
                        Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
                        2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
                        TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

Ya man.. you better bitch to them about it. Call the Better Business Bereu, do whatever you have to. That's fuckin' horseshit man.
                          '93 Sunbird. 5spd, 3.1, it's fast. Oh, and 240k miles has proven lethal against Turbo Talons

I'm lurking occasionaly. It's tough because I'm usually too busy with the Army or my 5.0 Mustang. Which is for sale.

camaromanmatt@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by 85_305 View Post
                            Ya man.. you better bitch to them about it. Call the Better Business Bereu, do whatever you have to. That's fuckin' horseshit man.
                            Call the BBB? I got their phone number last night and i'm waiting until 9:00 a.m. when they open and i'm going to call them.
                            02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                            www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Get this. I just got back from that shop and I told him flat out that I'm not paying that amount. And he said that he is going to sue me for fraud. And that it will cost me double what the bill is for!!!

And before I left, I asked him. "If you told me that you would charge me $2200 for this job right when I handed you the parts, what do you think I would say??" He immediately looked at the floor and went onto another subject.

And not only that. He claimed he called 2 shops this morning and tried to get quotes. He said both shops don't do that type of work. One of the shops he mentioned was Maaco. After our arguement I stopped by maaco and noone called to get a quote for dash painting. Maaco quoted me $250 plus tax to paint the 6 pieces. And I've already paid in the past $150 to have a universal pod mounted/molded/painted to my stock A pillar and shipped to my home.

So $450 at the most
                              02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
                              www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Working...
                              X