350 /w shaking balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 /w shaking balancer

On my 73' today when I was tightening the belts I noticed the balancer shaking like a banshee. Noticed it because the V-Belt on the ALternator is off centered a bit on the pulleys.

Is there some maint. I've overlooked? The motor has about 9,000 miles on a fresh rebuild. The block was new in 02'. Most the parts are new as well.

If not, any advice to resolve it? It's a bit odd and a bit shaky for comfort. I planned to drive 80mi out of town today but I'm thinking about staying. Is it even ok to drive with the balancer like that?

Thanks

Strange, changed the spark plugs and wires and now it's normal.

However I think I have a bad o-ring or head gasket cause two of the plugs had some oil on them. Check compression and hope for the best ...

Comment

Was the balancer replaced with a new one? Was it the balancer or the pulley bolted to it that was shaking?
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

That I am not sure. It went away once the spark plugs and wires were changed. It probably was the pulley on the balancer.

I'm hoping it warms up in the next couple days so I can test the compression. Found some oil on two of the spark plugs. Hoping it's not a o-ring but you never know.

The oil pressure is also higher than normal so I'm not driving the old girl no more right now. Until I can resolve the current issue. Oil pressure was 60psi then went down to around 50-55psi @ 55-70MPH. I'm not exactly sure what oil pressure should be but it was lower before.

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
        Was the balancer replaced with a new one? Was it the balancer or the pulley bolted to it that was shaking?

Comment

Working...
        X