Should i stick with the 60 degree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i stick with the 60 degree?

Well originally i was given a pontiac grand prix because my grandparents accidentally sold my shadow. i was given the grand prix because it was thought that thier other car, the cutlass ciera, only needed a thermostat. it turns out the grand prix is fine, and the olds needs the head gasket. so now im being given a 95 cutlass ciera with the 3100. its in decent shape, apart from needed the head gasket done and a thermostat. and like my plan with the grand prix was, i want to build it up and get 250whp. my original plans are to keep the car for my next two years of high school, and 2 years if college, building it up over time with my spare cash. My friends say i should fix whats wrong with it, sell it and get something better. I'm torn. a free car is a free car, but at the same time should i really dump 5 g to get this car to 250, when i could buy something with that much power for a little more?

5k to get 250 whp? Only if you do it without research.

Being a 95, I say sell it. You want older or newer for tuning. 94-95 = suck.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      5k to get 250 whp? Only if you do it without research.

Being a 95, I say sell it. You want older or newer for tuning. 94-95 = suck.

Agreed
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

ok, ill probably sell it after i fix the head gasket and thermostat, that way ill get a decent amount of money for it. so on that note, what should i buy in its place?

Comment

you can't really ask anyone what you should get because you are going to get different answers.

You have to sit down, and figure out what your needs are, and what your WANTS are.

do you need a 2 door, 4 door, convertible, hatchback, truck, suv?

do you need extreme good fuel economy, normal economy, economy is not an issue?

do you need something that you are going to work on yourself, or is a shop going to do all your maintenece?

Start answering these questions, and that will tell you were to go.

I personally lean towards the Cutlass Supreme coupe with the 3.1 MPFI, or 3100 SFI (either 1988-1993 or 1996-1997). They get good fuel economy, have plenty of room, and parts are cheap for the DIYers.
          Taylor
          1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
          1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
          1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
          1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
          "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

If you want to make a fast car, get a beretta or 2nd gen sunbird/cavalier that has a 5speed already. Swap in a 3400 and turbo it or build up the 3400. The beretta is a little heavier than the sunbird/cavy but I like the way they look. Those cars are lighter than the W bodies
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Or if you just want to be plain ol' bad-ass, you get yourself a Trooper.
              '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
              '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
              '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
              '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

my dad used to have a trooper when i was 4, i loved that thing

Comment

Problem solved.

They can be had between $250 and $2500. You'll find a 60º in the 89-91. The stock 2.8L will get you around, but the 3.4L will get you around with dignity.

Comment

Yea I paid $850 for mine.
                    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I paid $3300 for my '90 LS w/ V6 in 2001. Sold an '89 w/ 4-cyl last year for $2000. Bought a '90 w/ V6 (high miles and wear, but functional) for $250 - sold to a friend for $500 just to cover some parts - lasted six months before it ingested coolant and started knocking. And bought a '90 LS w/ V6 - high miles, in pretty good shape but running rough - for $500. Sold to a friend who I'm helping fix it up (burnt valve and cracked head). That's why my title is "Used Isuzu Dealer".

Comment

ok heres one last shot before i decide to look for another car. what about a 3800 swap, i know the idea is out of the domain of 60degreev6, but it seems like a fun idea to toy with, i saw another older ciera that did the swap for an l67, took off the s/c for a turbo and got around 450hp, now i dont need that much power, but a s/c l67 would be amazing, and cheaper than building up the 3100 to the same specs. the biggest issue is that i have a lot to be desired as far as hands on work and experience with cars. this is my first car ive been allowed to toy with. i know the ciera isnt the most desirable car in the world, but it would definitely be different, and thats what i love.

Comment

I hapily paid $2400 for this...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Then put a turbo on it and could beat a TPI305

Now I'm going after LT1's with this...

And then smoke LSx's with the boost back on it.

Ben hit the nail on the head, I'v put $1200 into the turbo kit, building it myself, sold some of the parts for $650, and spent another $1200 on the 3.4/3500 hybrid --- and still have the turbo.

Don't like the ECM, change it.
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

Exactly. If you like the car enough, put money into it. But if you dont like it, don't. Just because it's your first car doesnt mean you have to keep it. But just because it's your first doesnt mean you have to get rid of it . You can hear old timers saying they wished they had their old cars, well, your car may not be worth what their cars would be in the future, but it's the memories that keep some people with their cars.

If you want to go fast and be like everyone else, buy a car with a V8. If you want to be different, buy something with a V6 or inline 4 and kill the "mighty" v8 kids and impress them. There is something to be said about being different, but girls don't always like the different.

Easy + cheap + no knowledge hp = buy something with v8.
                            Harder + more custom + have to know your stuff = Buy something smaller than a v8.
                            You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
                            ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
                            95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

The fuel money saved from having a v6 can be used to take out the girls that aren't impressed by v8's
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X