Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does ferrari make thier engines rpm happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does ferrari make thier engines rpm happy?

or any other exotic engine for that matter

how do they get them so rev happy and still be reliable?

why 5 valves?

do they use variable valve/cam timing?

with thier fixed cam engines, how do they get them to idle so low, and make top end horsepower in the 10000 rpm range?

anybody know where to find details (other than mechanical specs) of exotic engines?

im just curious
    3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
    96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
    2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo 6spd
    1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

A lot of exotic European motors are rev happy because they are usually under 5 L in displacement but it's spread out over 12 cylinders. Those are tiny pistons and they have a very short stroke.

And who said anything about them being reliable?
    -Tony | gtsdurango.net
    '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
    '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

Comment

Some quick facts on the Ferrari F50 engine:

Name: Tipo F130, model SFE 4.7 VJGAEA
      Position: Mid-Engine
      Configuration: Longitudinal 60-valve 65° V12, derived from F1 unit
      Aspiration: Natural, with Variable Length Intake Manifold via butterfly valve in Intake Manifold
      Intake Manifold: Carbon Fiber
      Block: Nodular cast iron
      Heads/Pistons: Light-alloy aluminum heads/forged Mahle pistons
      Oil Sump: Aluminium
      Connecting Rods: Forged titanium
      Crankshaft: Forged steel
      Cam covers/Oil and Water pump housing: Magnesium sand castings
      Exhaust Manifold: Stainless steel
      Weight: 436.5 lb
      Timing gear: 5 valve/cyl (3 intake, 2 exhaust), 4 overhead camshafts (2 per cylinder bank) driven by low-noise Morse chain
      Displacement: 4698 cc/286.68ci
      Max Power: 513 bhp (383 kW) @ 8000 rpm
      Max Torque: 347 lb·ft (470 N·m) @ 6500 rpm
      Power/Disp.: 109.1 bhp/litre
      Weight/Power: 5.8 lb/bhp
      Bore x Stroke: 3.35 in. x 2.72 in.
      Bore:Stroke: 1.23:1 (Oversquare)
      Compression: 11.3:1
      Redline: 8500 rpm
      ECU: Bosch Motronic 2.7 (controls the fuel feed, ignition timing, and variable length intake and exhaust systems)
      Fuel Feed: Sequential injection
      Ignition: Bosch Static electronic distributorless ignition
      Lubrication: Dry Sump, tank incorporated within the final drive housing, 3 scavenger pumps
      Variable Intake: Butterfly valve in carbon fiber intake manifold closed at low rpm, open at high rpm
      Variable Exhaust: Butterfly valve in upper tailpipes closed at low rpm, open at high rpm
      And compare this info to the specs listed on this site for the 3100 for bore and stroke:

I am sure the forged Titanium rods *drools* have a good amount to do with it, besides the smaller bore/stroke. I am willing to bet Ferrari also take the time to polish everything that should be done in the way of heads/intake and rotating assemblies are balanced as well. Engine blocks are probably torque plate bored and have align bored mains as well.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by merlot566jka View Post
        or any other exotic engine for that matter

how do they get them so rev happy and still be reliable?

why 5 valves?

do they use variable valve/cam timing?

with thier fixed cam engines, how do they get them to idle so low, and make top end horsepower in the 10000 rpm range?

anybody know where to find details (other than mechanical specs) of exotic engines?

im just curious
        A 60* could be made to do that as well, takes time and money.

There isn't much difference between an exotic engine and a racing engine (except the race engine might last a little longer, lol). Balancing and lightening the rotating assy, flow and dyno research, lots of tesing, polishing, custom parts etc, but why? You have to remember these car mfgrs you mention have spent generation perfecting what you see today - and you pay dearly for it

I know the 60* can be pushed pased the 340-350 hp N/A I have seen it reach already, but not too many people are willing to do so.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

interesting. i wonder why i couldnt find that info on wiki?

so short stroke, means less force at tdc and bdc on the rods, bearings and the like.

im sure they are balanced to perfection, and align bored and honed.

so what about idle? how is it managed?
          3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
          96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
          2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo 6spd
          1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            but not too many people are willing to do so.
            Willing? I doubt it. More like flat broke. The folks that do have the money that can actually make a fast engine don't make it happen. Reason why I think that is because they either want the stock DD advantage, or just don't care that much for power and a 3400 will do them just fine.
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

If you have a shore stroke and small bore then there is not too much cylinder volume to fill. combined that with well flowing heads, which in reality wont flow better than and LS3 or LS7 head, and you have an engine that breathes really easy even at high RPM. Also they would have valve timing to match the power band they are working in. It idles fine but most likely not below 1000RPM. But of course all these engines lack the part of the power equation and that is torque . I just read a review on the new BMW M3 and it makes 400HP but only 295lbs of torque. I always like to see both number equal or close to it. That way you have power out of the hole.

Lust look at any motorcycle engine from a sport bike and add 4,6 or 8 more cylinders and you have a Ferrari motor LOL.

I always liek to look at it like this. If I pay even 20,000for say an LS7 engine and then throw a couple more grand at it I can have hundreds of more horsepower and GOBS of torque and even better mileage and still be way a head in price per horsepower. I can even get a new Diesel and make more horsepower and more torque than I can imagine AND gas millage would be DOUBLE
              Last edited by geoffinbc; 05-03-2008, 01:12 PM.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by GutlessSupreme View Post
                A lot of exotic European motors are rev happy because they are usually under 5 L in displacement but it's spread out over 12 cylinders. Those are tiny pistons and they have a very short stroke.

And who said anything about them being reliable?
                ..x2
                The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

I read BMW's latest approach (read: I read this something like 3-4 years ago) to the M cars was to wind them up with high rpms like a rubber band (bad paraphrasing, and it makes them sound like Honduhs) to create power, rather then take the normal metal shearing strength of torque to do the work... I think I shed a tear that day
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                  91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                  92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                  94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                  Originally posted by Jay Leno
                  Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                  X