Old school Stereo needs upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old school Stereo needs upgrades

The stereo is almost just as old as the car (18 years) and looking to upgrade it.

What do you suggests? I'm not into the boom and want more clarity/front stage and realism.

Present

Dash = 2 X Kicker 4 in dash
    2 X MB Quart hard dome tweeter in dash

Door = 2 X MB Quart soft dome tweeter side mirror mount
    2 X Kicker 6.5 midbass driver in door
    2 X MB Quart hard dome tweeter in door.

Trunk = 3 X XTR 12 SVC behind the rear seats
    4 X XTR 8 DVC underneath the rear deck
    2 X XTR 4 SVC underneath the rear deck
    2 X XTR 1 SVC underneath the rear deck
    2 X STR 1s SVC underneath the rear deck

You really need to talk to Rupert about that (Tijuana_no). He knows his stuff. I can tell you that the first thing he will probably say is get rid of some of those speakers. More does not mean better, and not only can put a drain on the amp, but it can also garble and confuse the signals making for a HORRIBLE sound.

My Cutlass Supreme with only 4 speakers (BOSE) sounds better, clearer, louder, and more well rounded than most people that are running the 8 and 10 speaker setups.

Rule 1: more does not mean better
    Rule 2: loud does not mean better
    Rule 3: expensive does not always mean better
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
      You really need to talk to Rupert about that (Tijuana_no). He knows his stuff. I can tell you that the first thing he will probably say is get rid of some of those speakers. More does not mean better, and not only can put a drain on the amp, but it can also garble and confuse the signals making for a HORRIBLE sound.

My Cutlass Supreme with only 4 speakers (BOSE) sounds better, clearer, louder, and more well rounded than most people that are running the 8 and 10 speaker setups.

Rule 1: more does not mean better
      Rule 2: loud does not mean better
      Rule 3: expensive does not always mean better
      don't worry about the amps they can run almost any impedance.
      they seem to be more since they are all individual components from tweeters, mids, bass and subs.

Forgot i got the Orion parametric equalizer PEQ-500.

This stuff is just as old as the car and I think it needs to be upgraded or atleast the headunit. lol!!!! cassette.

Comment

So do you want to just swap out what you already have and looking for advice on what to get, or do you actually want your system to sound good?

In your first post you said:

Originally posted by cutlass supreme FE3 View Post
        What do you suggests? I'm not into the boom and want more clarity/front stage and realism.
        And in my first post I said:

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
        More does not mean better, and not only can put a drain on the amp, but it can also garble and confuse the signals making for a HORRIBLE sound.
        So I am confused here. It seems to me you are saying 2 differnt things. In your first post you say you don't want boom, but in your second post, you say you want to keep way too many speakers.

What is it you want? The way you are set up now, the chances of getting a good sound is almost in the impossible area. I say drop your system down to only 4-8 speakers, get a new head unit, and then start tuning it. That way you can see what you really need.
        Taylor
        1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

Open air subs aren't good for sound quality. You want a sealed box for the most accurate bass.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I like to have component speakers that requires no modifications to drop in.
            removing some speakers would be nice to reduce all the unwanted weight.
            as for subs going smaller like one 10" max.

remember this equipment was bought new and installed in the late 80's, so now i think i need an upgrade.

Comment

Your best bet at this point would be to just get rid of everything and start from scratch.

Go for QUALITY and not QUANTITY.
              Taylor
              1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

Working...
              X