Which 6x9 speakers would you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 6x9 speakers would you use?

I need to replace the speakers in my rear deck.
    I don't need anything that's going to break the bank but I do want good sound with decent bass - I'm not expecting subwoofer thumping but rather good sound quality.

I don't plan on running an amp. I have a ~1yr old Pioneer deck with a max of 50w per channel and I imagine something like 25w rms... so keep that in mind. I've even considered a set of newer original equipment 6x9s since I've been in some Ws that sounded good with factory speakers and an aftermarket deck.

Thoughts?
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

i bought some cheap-ass $40 dollar bolt/lightning audio or whatever 6X9s from wal-mart almost 2 years ago, drive them with a 200 watt amp and they sound great. better than the $125 kenwoods that they replaced anyway...
    Last edited by robertisaar; 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

funny, cause I'm replacing kenwoods! They're pretty old now but I was never happy with the sound. They looked great on paper but had terrible bass.
      1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
      1994 Corvette
      LT1/ZF6
      2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
      3.7/42RLE

Comment

mine were from 96, and i replaced them in 07, so they lived a long life, but by the end, they sounded horrible. the surround barely held up at that point.

but i've been running these cheap POS wal-mart ones for almost 2 years now and i leave the car with much more ringing in my ears than before i got in and they seem to withstand it...
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Not sure what Polk and JBL cost for entry level but I would give them a listen.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

alpine type-s are some great speakers. about $60 a pair, but they have a good range and for people who want bass, without amps and subwoofers, they're perfect. they sound like you do have subwoofers. im getting a set for my firebird thru my friend that works at best buy
            sigpic<---SERIOUS cornering now
            300NAhp@the wheels....eventually
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/royal455<--new pics of the engine pull on the '94 firebird's page
            http://www.myspace.com/drfeelgood_80

Comment

I wouldn't use anyoval speakers because they sound like crap compared to round ones. Oval speakers are just designed to fit in factory holes, but they distort waveforms due to their shape. The traditional round speaker is the best sounding one you can get. I'm going to be putting new speakers in my GP pretty soon, so I'll be mocking up how to put some in the back of the car.
              I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkoolGP View Post
                they sound like crap compared to round ones...they distort waveforms due to their shape.
                This is very true. But with a standard aftermarket deck, putting out his amount of power, he won't have that problem if he uses even decent 6x9's. Unless he's running an amp(and he says he's not planning on it) they won't distort. Rounds are better tho, like you said. But aren't really needed unless you're trying for competition sound levels. Plus, the 6x9's will drop right in, and that's just something I'm partial to
                sigpic<---SERIOUS cornering now
                300NAhp@the wheels....eventually
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/royal455<--new pics of the engine pull on the '94 firebird's page
                http://www.myspace.com/drfeelgood_80

Comment

the good analogy here:

a 60* engine will fit with no problems at all (6X9) and still work fine

but a northstar would be more fun (round speakers)

.....................yes, i know i called a northstar better, but honestly, 300HP and around 300TQ compared to a 3100 (160HP and 180TQ), what sounds better to you.

ready for the blasphemy reaponses...
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Why are you comparing 4.6 liters to 3.1? 3.6 DOHC puts down 300hp too.

Yes round is better, not its not worth the issue on this application
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i know comparing a 3100 to a 4.6 is a crooked comparison, but its not really apples to oranges. they're both motors, and i you have the time money and patience, the NS would fit in a lot of vehicles that originally had 60* motors.

i'm just saying the NS has an advantage(multiple ones actually) right from the start, while you have to spend a lot on a smaller motor to bring it up to that level of performance.

not trying to spread hate on the 60s or love on the northstars, just saying a NS would have its advantages, given enough time/money/patience to get it to work...
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

i thought this was a speaker thread? :P he's saying a northstar will fit but it's more work. same with round speakers. you can make them fit, but in his "low performance" application, he might as well just use the oval speakers, which are like a 60*. fits right in, and works great.

Cammed 3400 --> 224whp 210wtq
                        Cammed 3500 --> ???
                        1 of 5 3500 J-Bodies

Comment

buy some Roadmasters from Walmart! And a North Star w/ straight pipes then it won't matter.
                          because I\'m not Canadian

Comment

Originally posted by RedBird View Post
                            i thought this was a speaker thread? :P he's saying a northstar will fit but it's more work. same with round speakers. you can make them fit, but in his "low performance" application, he might as well just use the oval speakers, which are like a 60*. fits right in, and works great.
                            the way you said it makes much more sense, even to me...
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

round speakers are not better than oval speakers and round speakers does not put more bass than oval and oval speakers does not distort faster than oval . there is alot of factors involve in this.................as a matter of fact there is an advantage on oval speakers .oval speakers have more cone area than 6" or even 8" round speakers making them able to play lower frequencies.
                              the biggest problem i see here is the amount of power going into the speakers .he is planning on using the power from the H/U and he still wants decent SQ. i would recommend him the 6x9 with the highest sensitivity he can find .i would also recommend him to pay attention on the instillation if he is mounting them in the rear deck using them as an infinite baffle or even try to built a enclosure for better low end reproduction.
                              but, thats just me throwing my 2 cents ignore if you find it useless.
                              i just love to watch the wheels turn around and around

Comment

Working...
                              X