Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 or vista..?

Hi to all
    I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?
    Last edited by williamssam81; 11-07-2009, 05:14 AM.

This computer section is for car computers, not laptops and pcs.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

LOL. This needs to be moved to Off-Topic.

But if you have a choice, go with Windows7. Windows7 is what Vista should have been.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Yes off topic for sure, but since we are on the subject I have been reading on this new os and basically in a nutshell it IS what Vista should have been. It runs like XP, but has Vistas look and much more. For one, it takes up less hard drive space than vista. Vista uses 40gb while windows 7 uses 20gb. The boot times are nearly the same as well as shut down times.

I am definetly going to pick up a copy of this os for my computer.
        sigpic
        94 Firebird 3.4 DD
        252000mi. All original

Comment

how the hell did vista take 40 gigs. did you see that size after a fresh install or after you installed a bunch of stuff.

hell ive had vista installs going from anywhere around 6 months to a year and it was barely breaking 30 gigs.

ive been using windows 7rtm since it was released on msdn back in aug. its been good.
          sigpic
          99 Grand Am GT
          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
          515 515 lift 112 lsa
          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

I pre-ordered Win7 and installed it on our laptop (previously Vista) and haven't had any complaints yet. I had installed it on another computer during the beta as well. There are a few things that take getting used to, but other than that, I would recommend Win7 over pretty much anything.
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

How the hell? Ill tell ya, if you have the 64 bit version it requires 40gb of hard drive space. That is what I run. Windows 7 64bit uses a mere 20gb.

http://reviews.cnet.com/windows/micr...l?tag=txt;page

If you use the 32 Bit version of Vista then yes, it uses only 20gigs versus Windows 7- 32 bit at only 16gigs.

Windows 7 is still to new to start giving it any kind of awards. Only time will tell.
              sigpic
              94 Firebird 3.4 DD
              252000mi. All original

Comment

Windows 7 is far superior to Vista. I've been running vista on my new machine since the beginning of this year, till 2 months ago... When I moved I rebuilt my machine to win 7, I'm MUCH happier with that now. Way faster than vista ever was.

I get all of Microsoft's software for free since where I work they pay for a Technet subscription for me. Its nice

Got Lope?
                3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

ive been using the 64bit versions as long as i can remember.
                  tha laptop will stay with XP for dhp purpose. and the desktops get win7.

like brad said there are a few thing with windows 7 that take getting used to. although it seems to be getting a better response than vista did when it came out. but i distinctly remember that everybody hated the look of XP when it came out.

it all comes down to people dont like change. at least its not another windows ME god that was a disaster.
                  sigpic
                  99 Grand Am GT
                  3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                  Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                  1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                  515 515 lift 112 lsa
                  15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Have had 7 on my laptop for about 2 weeks. Much improved over Vista.
                    It takes some getting used to but once you have adjusted it is better. If you were a first time computer/Windows user this would be the easiest Windows OS to 'learn' for sure.

Only complaint... if I put my laptop to sleep it comes back alive sometime during the night. I'm not sure why but my best guess is that it is waking up to install updates. That annoys me but I haven't looked into it yet, could be an easy fix. For now, I've been shutting down each night rather than putting it to sleep.
                    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
                    1994 Corvette
                    LT1/ZF6
                    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                    3.7/42RLE

Comment

more or less, it is a tweaked Vista, just without the bad rap. might as well get 7 now rather than later.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Yeah when XP came out I was like bleh same as win2k just stupid graphics but it's easy to make it look and act like older OS. Now Vista that is totally scrambled and near impossible to find stuff. It's all hidden and strung all over the place. Common things you are used to are now gone/etc. Sort of like Office 2007 and it's stupid ribbon bar. I hate having to click a category to get another tool bar. Give me a drop down menu and DON'T personalize the menus so that I have to expand them every time and don't know where stuff is because the menu size is constantly changing... I still can't find some of the options in Office 2007 that the older ones had. I don't like moving the mouse side to side to find stuff. Just give a drop down and let me pick... /rant lol

For laptops/etc I just hibernate them rather than sleep. Sleep mode things don't like to come back it seems. Hibernate is faster than a boot sometimes. Well my laptop it doesn't make a difference but I usually have a bunch of programs open so it's nice to resume. My desktop I always shut off when done. I've done that since I ran 486's and never had a HD failure. I think leaving them on 24/7 is harder on them IMO. I've always turned them on/off several times a day...
                        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                        Original L82 Longblock
                        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                          I think leaving them on 24/7 is harder on them IMO. I've always turned them on/off several times a day...
                          That is kinda arguable, which is why I think you said it. I dont leave mine on either, but Ive heard computer gurus say that its harder on a computer to constantly turn it on and off versus leaving them on all the time. They always say "just set up sleep mode and it turns your HDD off after a certain period of time while leaving your OS partially booted" Personally, I think wasting power is worse than turning your computer on and off constantly.
                          sigpic
                          94 Firebird 3.4 DD
                          252000mi. All original

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk94 View Post
                            its harder on a computer to constantly turn it on and off versus leaving them on all the time.
                            constantly being the keyword... if it's going off for only an hour or so, you might as well let it sleep... if it's 24 hours or more, let it shut down. anywhere in between should be your own discretion(?)...

i have yet to junk one HD...
                            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                            Latest nAst1 files here!
                            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I have 3 computers running 24/7 at my house. I have the 1U 1TB server in the garage, the desktop running Ubuntu in the extra bedroom, and the laptop running Win7 wherever it ends up for the night.
                              -Brad-
                              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                              sigpic
                              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                              X