Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any networking professionals in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any networking professionals in the house?

I guess I'm a "networking professional", I'm the admin for a small ISP that needs to modernize. The bulk of our customers are on fixed wireless systems from Trango Broadband, which we are going to be transitioning away from for a variety of reasons. We're going to use Mikrotik routers on the backend to provide PPPoE and authentication services for the new systems and we'd also like to transition the current customers that way as well (static NAT IPs :/ ).

Anyone here to talk to about CIDR, OSPF, VRRP, and so on? My questions are not vendor specific. I thought I would find more help at the mikrotik forums, but that is not the case...
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post
      I guess I'm a "networking professional",

But you > me as far as that goes. I'm just A+ and Net+ certified which means jack squat in the real world (despite them making it sound like I would be hounded by places wanting to hire me left and right when I signed up for my classes....) because I am still unemployed almost a year after getting my certs.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by 60dgrzbelow0 View Post
        We don't have any Cisco gear, so I haven't ventured that way.

Our core router is a Riverstone, but they went under some years ago, bought out my lucent. Right now it's running the show, everything beyond is L2 switched (which is a problem). The riverstone has been plenty reliable, and we have a spare of course, but there isn't much support out there anymore. The RS will remain the core router, but I'm going to integrate mikrotiks to support the wireless system, talking back to the riverstone with OSPF.

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post

But you > me as far as that goes. I'm just A+ and Net+ certified which means jack squat in the real world (despite them making it sound like I would be hounded by places wanting to hire me left and right when I signed up for my classes....) because I am still unemployed almost a year after getting my certs.
        I have no formal certs, just my four years experience here. So I know the way we're set up now, and I know ABOUT some other ways to do things, but actually implementing is another matter.

Comment

Even without the Cisco gear... some of these White Papers/Books/Tutorials on L2 switching can be very revealing and add to the insights with other similar networking hardware... Although the books are pricey at $35.00 to $45.00 the information discussed looked promising on the subject:

Most WISP's I have found are self-taught which I can appreciate because I too have taught myself many things. However, when you get formal training, training created by the manufacturer it's like a light comes on and you suddenly are able to make the gear…

Visit http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/Tutorials.htm for hundreds of additional tutorials, videos, free Webinars, and much more to help you earn your CCNA, ...

This sample chapter discusses the basics of L2 Ethernet switching and the different metro Ethernet service concepts as introduced by the Metro Ethernet Forum (MEF).

Robyn Aber help us to explore how routers and switches are the keys to a strong network foundation.Together they enable the intelligent, end-to-end movement of converged data, voice, and video information within or outside the business.

Last edited by 60dgrzbelow0; 01-07-2010, 06:10 AM.

Comment

L2 switching is what I'm most familliar with, but I'm getting into routing now. I've quite a bit of reading already. I'm to the point where I just have to put some routers together on the bench and figure it out. Was hoping there was someone with some routing experience I could ask questions.

Comment

Working...
            X