Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3800 cold start problem

Hello,

I have a 90 oldmobile eighty eight. The car starts right up and runs great when the weather is warm. Now that winter is here it take forever to start when it cold outside. Sometimes i have to crank it so long i have to throw a battery charger on it. It will crank and crank, and fire every once in a while. The long i crank it the closer together it will fire and eventually start. I can smell a slight hint of gas when doing this. I almost sure it the coolant temp sensor. I know that if it is bad, it will add a ton of fuel because it thinks it colder out than what it really is.

Are there more than one coolant temp sensors on this car, if so which do i replace? I think its the one underneather the throttle body. Just wanted some insight.

Also when it does start it runs rought for less than 5 seconds then its fine. Thanks

Also does anyone have a part number for autozone or anything like that?

even though it's not a 60V6, i'm feeling nice today....

this chart should help determine if the temp sensor is bad. just hook up a multimeter to the two terminals and check it when it's at a known temperature, or at least close to it.

the second pic will show both the sensor and sender. the sensor goes to the PCM while the sender goes to the dash gauge.
    Attached Files
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Im sorry i was not thinking. Thanks i will check it today. I joined this site to get some info on my fiero 3.4l swap. Great site, and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberman2003 View Post
        Im sorry i was not thinking. Thanks i will check it today. I joined this site to get some info on my fiero 3.4l swap. Great site, and thank you!
        as long as you don't start a bunch of 3800 swap threads, i've got no problem with you.

the mods on the other hand

this thread will probably get moved into the off topic section though.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
        X