Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools

I've lost more tools over the last few years and am looking to rebuild my 'shop'. Just curious as to what tools you guys use, more specifically, sockets, wrenches, bench grinders, power tools, ect...

Where do you buy from? Online, brick and mortar, where ever.
    1995 Grand Am GT
    3400 V6 / 4T60-E / Engine Swap
    3400 Engine Swap Guide Version 2.5 is Available!
    www.3400swap.com

Basically all of my tools are Craftsman, bought from the store. Before telling you what to get, how about listing what you have? I could go on and on about what you could get, but it would be easier to know a starting point. Don't want to list an air compressor if you already have one, although you might want to upgrade as well, but we need to know where you are at. Obviously, you don't have to list every single tool you have, but a generalized idea would be good. For example, I have an almost complete set of metric sockets, both 6-point and 12-point, in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives. Are they all needed? Maybe not, but it always helps to have more just in case...

This is a topic quite near to my heart, as I used to tell people to invest in tools instead of BS engine mods. I remember people saying "I have $xxx - what can I buy to gain horsepower?", and people would say things like ported intakes, or a CAI, or a TB. I told them to buy tools, as tools will be with you for your next cars, whereas the mods might be gone in a year or so when you sell the car. Anyway, I'm rambling...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I buy most of my tools from local places, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Lowes, the Mac truck, inherited, etc. The only tools I buy online are ones not available local in anyway, like my tuning equipment from Moates.

Along the same lines as what Brad was saying, the "required" tools will also depend on what you plan to do. Getting body repai tools would be pointless without the desire or need to perform body repair work.

Comment

I'm actually embarrassed to list what I have, it's shameful. I've lost/sold so many during the last few years. I'm basically shooting a set of tools that would be able to let me tear a car down to the "frame" and piece it back together without getting too expensive.

I've got a good (Good as in complete) set of Sockets and Wrenches. I'd say almost a complete set of Metric (Though I'm sure I need a few that are missing). Not a complete set of SAE socket or wrenches, though I rarely use those. I defiantly need more 1/2" sockets.

I've got a almost new engine hoist and jack stands. An ok 15gal air compressor, though I have sold all my air-tools (Kicking myself).

And a bunch of misc stuff like pliers, screw drivers, hex-sockets / drivers, electrical tools (Cutters, soldering iron). Though I need a good multimeter (Thinking Fluke...)

I'd like to get at least all the sockets and wrenches from one company, say Craftsman. I hate to mix in $1 sockets with nice ones. I've got a good idea of what I want/need, I'm just seeing what you guys like to use.
        1995 Grand Am GT
        www.3400swap.com

Comment

Depending on the car or cars you plan to tear down to the "frame", you may need some specialty tools to do so.

Don't be so brand matching. I come across the same thing in car audio... "I want everything from Pioneer/Clarion/Etc." The acclountants of those companies will like it, but you may be setting yourself up for having a part or product that may not perform as well or last as long as the "same" product from another company, all because you wanted it to match.

Don't get me wrong, I like when things match too, but that won't be the reason I buy a certain item. I think my OCD works differently than other peoples, my OCD looks for quality or functionality before same colour, name, brand, shape, etc. lol

Fluke are good meters, I have one that I have for work, though it may come home now and be swapped for one of my "home" DMMs, since I've changed to a different trade recently. The Fluke I have, I have had for around 8 or 9 years, and it was used when I got it. I have had to change batteries, replace a couple fuses, my fault, and I think I had to make one small circuit board repair, but overall a very reliable meter. I have had to replace the test leads a few times, but they're basically a wear item anyway. My "home" meters are Canadian Tire Brand "Mastercraft", and seem to work well. I picked them up on sale at 50+% off, so it seemed worth it. They have been pretty reliable, but have only had them for a couple years.

Certain tools, like speciality tools I'll buy from the tool trucks.

I like the Candian Tire brand tools because of thier lifetime warrentee and all I have to do is walk in with it and say "Gimme another one of these". LOL

Comment

Oh yeah, I can see the whole matching tool set idea, I don't really care about the rest of my tools, just wouldn't mind the sockets and wrenches being one brand. Everything else can be whatever.

My project car is a Grand Am, from what I understand, you really don't need too many specialized tools. But there is a lot of basic ones I need to pick up. I need to repurchase a good torque wrench also.
            1995 Grand Am GT
            www.3400swap.com

Comment

Along the lines of a good torque wrench, I've seen the newer Snap-On digital wrenches in action...oh boy do I need to get one of those. Dial in the setting, it will even do the degree turns as well!

Comment

Snap-On does have some special tools...at not-so-special prices.

Considering how little space there is on the timing cover side, a serpentine belt tensioner tool is useful since they sometimes come with extra shallow sockets for when you need to get the tensioner off. A large drift punch is also useful for lining up the upper engine mount bolt holes. I'm also never without a pick-up tool of some kind with my butter-fingers.

On the side: Does GM actually use 12-point fasteners? Besides the ARP crankbolt on wot-tech I don't think I've seen one yet outside of the aviation industry.
                1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Snap-On is out of the average weekend mechanic's price range, along with being difficult to track down unless you know someone. The main advantage with them is that they are normally cast from less porous metal allowing them to be very thin walled while maintaining strength as much or normally more than their thicker counterparts. I have only acquired a few over the years, mostly because of cost, but have always been more than happy with them.

A couple of other decent brands would be S-K, Lisle, KD, and whatever Mack is called now if you can find them. Most of my tools are Craftsman tools from Sears, but I consider them to be the least quality that you can get away with without too much hassle. The best thing they had going was their replacement policy, but even that has been watered down over the years. I hate taking a ratchet to them that has given me thousands of hours of faithful daily use since 1980, only to have them force you to replace it with their newer cheaper quality ratchet instead of giving you the parts to fix it like they used to.

The Mechanic's Brand from Wall-Mart looks OK, but I don't have any experience with them so ...

I would also stay away from any tools made in China, which is most things today.

Besides Sockets, Ratchets, and Combination Wrenches (open/boxed end) I use:

Screw Drivers - Many sizes and varieties. Even have a few bent for a specific task.

Allen Wrenches (I have the Lisle Metric & Standard sets) and Allen Sockets. I bought the large sets because I needed the .050" to work on Kahler parts on guitars.

Torx Bits - Screw Driver type and Sockets

Universal Joints - for sockets and extensions

Extensions - For sockets/ratchets. You can never have too many or too many varieties. As with sockets, quality matters.

Breaker Bars - I also have a 3' long pipe to fit over the handle for heavy work

Universal Sockets - Optional but also handy for tight places.

Flare Nut Wrenches - Metric/Standard - Vital for removing steel lines without stripping

Drill - Electric or Air. I still plug things in because I like them better.

Impact Gun - Electric or Air. Makes fast work of disassembly and easy pulley removal. Also great for lawn mower blades, saw blades.

For Brakes I use the standard tools but also have:

10" "C" Clamp for closing Caliper Pistons

Lisle Rear Brake Caliper Multi-Tool (6 sided box to fit many applications)

Snap-On Rubber Hose Clamps - used to pinch off the rubber lines while calipers are removed.

Nasal Cannula - cut down to fit Brake Bleeder Valves, the other end into a container of old Brake Fluid for bleeding.

Cleaning Supplies - Brake Parts Cleaner, Wire Brush, Assorted Gasket Scrapers., Single edged Razor Blades

Flip Sockets - Optional but very handy for removing/replacing lug nuts. Metric/Standard

For Standard Shift Vehicles I have:

Clutch Alignment Tool Sets - Metric/Standard (Lisle) work 10x better than the plastic one that sometimes comes with the clutch.

Pilot Bearing Puller

Other Tools:

Slide Hammer with optional tips

Gear Pullers

Seal Puller

I have one Spark Plug socket that I ground down short to fit GM V8 with Headers.

Oil Sending Unit Socket

O2 Sensor Socket - Had better luck with cutting the old sensor off and using an impact socket. This tool only works to install the new one.

Fuel Line Wrench - Never figured it out. Did better with small screw driver and pliers.

Electronic Multimeter- tester

Ball Peen Hammer - for when none of the above works.

I'll add thing as I think of them.

Axe
                  Last edited by Axe_1; 07-09-2010, 01:31 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

My Air Tools:

Craftsman 6HP/60 Gallon Upright - cheap but works. I'd advise going with a 2 Stage if possible, and Belt Driven is much quieter then my "Oil less" Motor.

Chicago Pneumatic - For me the best brand on the market.
                    734 Impact Gun - Great. Out works my cheaper gun and uses less air.

Central Pneumatic - (Harbor Freight) Works OK but the price is right.
                    Impact gun, Ratchet Wrench, Die Grinder, 3" Cut Off Wheel, Grease Gun, Rivet Gun, Staple Gun

Black Max Paint Gun - Works good but better for primer or home use IMO

Ingersoll Rand Orbital Sander - Great tool that I found at a great price.

Goodyear Hoses

Campbell Hausfeld Quick Connects - Cheaper one's always leak.

Axe
                    Last edited by Axe_1; 07-09-2010, 01:21 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Axe
                      1995 Grand Am GT
                      www.3400swap.com

Comment

You don't want to look in my toolboxes! Depends on the job. Eveything from a simple water pump to toolmaking. I'm not sure there is a tool I haven't bought, or made. Brad is right. Tools outlast any car, and they always are there for the next one. Crafstman is my handtool of choice. Availability, price and warranty are not surpassed.

How much do I have invested? A lifetime! KOBALT IS A NO NO FOR ME! JJJ! Jimmie Johnson Junk!
                        Favorite tool? Mini Mag light on my belt. 10-50 times per day.
                        Least liked tool? Band Aids........I use a lot of them too.
                        Most dangerous tool? Me!
                        Wish list? Miller 350 synchrowave with pulser.
                        Oldest tool? Tachometer from 1930. Manual, still works.
                        Most accurate tool? Starrett Last Word .0001 indicator.
                        Least used tool? Brain.
                        If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
                        sigpic

Comment

Anyone know of any sites that sell Kent Moore tools (Cheap) or specialized tools for GM cars? I don't have anything in mind specifically, just curious.
                          1995 Grand Am GT
                          www.3400swap.com

Comment

I saw you are set for sockets -- I'd just add that deep sockets in both 1/2 and 3/8 sizes are a win. And some select sizes in impact for dealing with stubborn head bolts, etc. are helpful.

The handiest tool I never bought was a Snap-on cotter pin puller a buddy found laying inside his engine compartment a while after he got his car back from the dealer. It's great for flipping free clips and retainer pins where you can feel but can't see.

Comment

Some 90's Model Throttle Bodys Did, 12mm 12-Point Nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X