coils 78.60 a piece.....235

labor
    tune electronic ignition.... 231
    r&r engine or transaxle mount 178.50
    right...115.50

parts total 471.21
    labor 660.45
    tax...105.57

1000 dollers for a tune up and motor mounts i damm near told the shop to go fuck themselves i feel bad for woman cause they dont know any better

Not to be a troll or anything but that sounds about right.
    Labor is where the cost is when you farm it out.
    sigpic
    "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

if u think thats right ur getting raped 1000 dollers? i can get a engine put in for that much half the labor i can do myself and the price for parts is totally over priced 70 bucks for spark plug wires.....maybe if they where msd but come on there not.....and 10 bucks for spark plugs when i can get the same ones for 6 bucks

Comment

yup, you can do it cheaper, but this is far from outrageous.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

it's usually the labor that kills it when it comes to shop repairs. the parts themselves generally are not that expensive but $80+/hr adds up.

labor was the main reason i stopped taking my car to the shop to get repaired. only time it goes in is when i don't have the tool to do it or something like an alignment.
          sigpic
          99 Grand Am GT
          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
          515 515 lift 112 lsa
          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

gah.... even the pricing on the parts seems high to me.

what was this on, BTW? i've done most of these on one of the family friend's rotbox 95 cavalier for pretty much the cost of lunch.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by king4u253 View Post
              if u think thats right ur getting raped 1000 dollers? i can get a engine put in for that much half the labor i can do myself and the price for parts is totally over priced 70 bucks for spark plug wires.....maybe if they where msd but come on there not.....and 10 bucks for spark plugs when i can get the same ones for 6 bucks
              Gee, now I feel like I'm being trolled.
              Is this your first shop experience?
              Are you familiar with hourly labor rates and parts mark-up?
              Mechanics have shiny tools and rusty cars to pay off, hence your bill.
              That's probably the biggest reason why we work on our own cars.
              sigpic
              "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Originally posted by king4u253 View Post
                unless you get the discount the parts stores give to the shops then there is no way your getting a full set of spark plugs for $6. even the standard copper plugs for these engines are $2 a piece. unless your breaking the price down to per plug which then yeah the platinum ones will run $6 a plug.

of course there will be a mark up on parts how do you think they make money. if they sold everything at cost then they wouldn't make any money.
                sigpic
                99 Grand Am GT
                3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                515 515 lift 112 lsa
                15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Originally posted by geldartb View Post
                  unless you get the discount the parts stores give to the shops then there is no way your getting a full set of spark plugs for $6. even the standard copper plugs for these engines are $2 a piece. unless your breaking the price down to per plug which then yeah the platinum ones will run $6 a plug.

of course there will be a mark up on parts how do you think they make money. if they sold everything at cost then they wouldn't make any money.
                  You misread. Shop charged him$ 11.22/plug, whereas he could go to the store himself and buy them for $6/plug.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

My friend owns his shop. He makes his $$$ on parts mark-up more than labor. I have a discount at the Advance down the street simply because I joked with one of the guys there about I should get a commercial account as often as I was in there since that's all I did while being laid-off. He said, "Ok!" At any rate, Chris, the guy with the shop will charge the list price for parts. Say you go to his shop and he needs to change your starter. He gets the starter for $97.34 and the list price says $174.52. You pay him $174.52 for that starter, plus his hourly rate, which isn't crazy like the big shops. The shop you took your vehicle to probably does a little bit of both, somewhat high labor and parts mark-up. But yeah, you think I'm taking my car to the dealer to eat a $600 timing belt and $600 alternator job? lol
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Whats the $231 on Tune Electronic Ignition?

Geldartb I've even taken on my own alignments... Only issue I have where I need to take it somewhere is any engine machine work, and tire balance and mounting

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

i've done tape measure alignments with pretty decent results....

that's ~$80 i save every time it needs it.

tire mounting is a pain though, i've done it using a bumper jack and it took hours...
                        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                        Latest nAst1 files here!
                        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I use a Harbor Freight manual tire machine, $40 and it works great... but I'm a big boy, you really gotta put some effort into it when you're mounting/unmounting tires manually.
                          sigpic

Comment

Since Tire Rack in South Bend is only around 25 minutes from me, I've taking a liking to those boys and their fancy machines doing it for me. Besides, if you go on the weekend in the summer some times you can catch some auto cross action going on out front which is always pretty cool to watch.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yeah, I think it was miatas I saw on the track one time. Big fan of the TireRack
                              Ben
                              60DegreeV6.com
                              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
                              X