My 60v6 Lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 60v6 Lamp

This is a lamp I constructed using the crankshaft from my retired 3.4 DOHC (LQ1) bolted to an LX9 flexplate that acts as the base.

First I powerwashed and dried the parts. Then I taped off the bearing journals and painted the non polished surfaces of the crank and flexplate with Rustoleum Hammered Finish paint, which adds a texture and hides belmishes. The color was a good match to the furniture in my living room. I let the paint dry for about an hour and removed the tape to expose the polished main and rod bearing journals.

I welded a fixture to support the lamp socket, switch, shade post are mounted to a bolt which threads into the crank snout (where the balancer bolt would go). I ran the wiring through the oil passages.

It is really heavy for a lamp and I was a bit nervous placing it on a glass table but its been there over a week and seems ok. It is on a timer circuit and comes on at dusk and turns off by 11pm.

The result is a tribute to the 60v6 in the corner of my living room. I think it came out great and my girlfriend even loves it too!

The shade looks a bit offset in the picture but I think its just the angle of the shot. In person it appears centered.
    photo 1.JPG
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

That's awesome. Nice work.
    Matt
    2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
    3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

Sweet!

I know a few guys that were doing the same with the hollow camshafts from the 3x00's and HM282 parts. Great stuff for a man cave.

I've got a few blocks sitting around, always wanted to make them into a big coffee table
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

That's awesome.. I gotta make one of these..

Comment

I also think it's a great way to keep a piece of the old engine from your car alive. That's really cool that your girl likes it too Hmm, what to do with some of the parts I have...

This does remind me of the mailbox I saw a couple months ago. The stand it was on was a huge crank, had to have been out of a big inline 6 diesel, but I don't think it was a semi engine.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
          X