welders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welders?

I'm looking at buying a TIG welder, and have any recommendations?

I was looking at this one(not at that price though...)

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

miller diversion 165 is my choice

Comment

We've got a Miller here as well. Its a great welder
      sigpic
      1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
      1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
      350/NV3500 5spd
      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Hobart Tigmate for smaller plate and pipe and a Miller Bobcat 225 for when i need more grunt.

Comment

I've got a Miller 180 TIG. The new 200 is a very nice machine, though if you plan in doing aluminum an inverter suitcase type with adjustable AC frequency is incredible.

Last I checked Hobart is owned by miller...

Comment

I think this is what I'm going to get, seems like a good deal, and I've had multiple referrals!
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Miller and Lincoln are the top two brands for consumers. Parts are plentiful and so are consumables. Both are about equal. I use both brands every day and cannot complain about either. What I can say is that newer welders have FAR BETTER arc stability versus the older models and modern inverter machines trump them all even when doing standard MIG and Stick welds you can see, hear and feel a difference.

I don't like the idea of the Eastwood and other Chinese knock off brands. They might be fine for the guy who fires it up once a year but not it you intend to use it regularly.
              1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
              1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
              Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

I have a Miller, consumables aren't that bad. ESAB makes decent consumables... But you get what you pay for.

Comment

I got a CT520 Tig/Plasma

It welds great BUT the kit I got had a Chinese argon regulator. And the tig consumables were of a lesser quality.

So I had to purchase a real US argon regulator and a set of consumables. Wasn't bad though, after all expenses, the Tig set up cost roughly $1100. Price included helmet, gloves, filler rod, argon + 40cf cylinder, regulator and a 30A extra heavy duty extension cord for welding machines.

I happen to have a welding shop near by so I had help when I ran into issues. The darn Chinese argon regulator thread was a whole 0.1" smaller in diameter. I thought, I am NOT putting a POS on 2,000 psi.........only to have it blow off and cause serious damage or harm.

That is one thing I stress.......,safety. If I had another $1k available to budget, I would have bought the Eastwood combo. Just to avoid chinese crap.

But ironically, the welder itself works freaking awesome.
                  Last edited by TGP37; 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM.
                  1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Miller Diversion is less than the Lincoln in the link above. I like the Miller stuff myself, I have a late 80's Syncrowave 300, I have welded aluminum soda cans together and 5/8" steel. If that's not a good enough range, I don't know what is.
                    Links:
                    WOT-Tech.com
                    FaceBook
                    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                      I got a CT520 Tig/Plasma

It welds great BUT the kit I got had a Chinese argon regulator. And the tig consumables were of a lesser quality.

So I had to purchase a real US argon regulator and a set of consumables. Wasn't bad though, after all expenses, the Tig set up cost roughly $1100. Price included helmet, gloves, filler rod, argon + 40cf cylinder, regulator and a 30A extra heavy duty extension cord for welding machines.

I happen to have a welding shop near by so I had help when I ran into issues. The darn Chinese argon regulator thread was a whole 0.1" smaller in diameter. I thought, I am NOT putting a POS on 2,000 psi.........only to have it blow off and cause serious damage or harm.

That is one thing I stress.......,safety. If I had another $1k available to budget, I would have bought the Eastwood combo. Just to avoid chinese crap.

But ironically, the welder itself works freaking awesome.
                      FYI, the eastwood set is made in china, according to an eastwood rep on another forum, it was designed here, and is built in their facility there...

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      Miller Diversion is less than the Lincoln in the link above. I like the Miller stuff myself, I have a late 80's Syncrowave 300, I have welded aluminum soda cans together and 5/8" steel. If that's not a good enough range, I don't know what is.
                      I'm kinda leaning towards either the eastwood or the miller.

Comment

Ericjon262, that is sneaky cause Eastwood welders come off as American. Sneaky little bass-tards....lol

I got the everlast style CT520 TSC. After replacing the regulator and consumables with quality products, it works well for me. I think the biggest mistake people make with a chinese product, like a welder in this case, is using a power supply that barely provides proper amps. Then use the welder at full power and burn the unit up from too much resistance in the power supply.

We all know, if the resistance goes up so does the amps....and amps melt/kill electronics.

I got a 50' extension cord that can push up to 30A for a 110V standard plug. Hard to find since the 110V max's at 15A. I use the washer/dryer power supply since it was designed to handle current for extended periods.

Some guy who plugs this in a socket in his dining room is gonna burn something up. The tig function can draw up to 20A.....so I stay at or below 130A output.

That's my opinion....Chinese products, while cheaper, can last if treated gently, kept clean and isn't abused.
                        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Ericjon262, that is sneaky cause Eastwood welders come off as American. Sneaky little bass-tards....lol

I got the everlast style CT520 TSC. After replacing the regulator and consumables with quality products, it works well for me. I think the biggest mistake people make with a chinese product, like a welder in this case, is using a power supply that barely provides proper amps. Then use the welder at full power and burn the unit up from too much resistance in the power supply.

We all know, if the resistance goes up so does the amps....and amps melt/kill electronics.

I got a 50' extension cord that can push up to 30A for a 110V standard plug. Hard to find since the 110V max's at 15A. I use the washer/dryer power supply since it was designed to handle current for extended periods.

Some guy who plugs this in a socket in his dining room is gonna burn something up. The tig function can draw up to 20A.....so I stay at or below 130A output.

That's my opinion....Chinese products, while cheaper, can last if treated gently, kept clean and isn't abused.

well, I can get the tig and plasma for about 1400, or I can get just the tig(albeit much higher quality) for about 2500... it's just a matter of how bad I need both...

Comment

My unit came with the plasma cutter. For my application, I needed to cut 0.1" steel plate with curved features. And I'm sure the cutter will be vital in future projects.

I was prepared to encounter issues with the cheaper tig. Like the wrong regulator and sh1tty consumables.

Though, I only owned this tig for a few days now. And as things seem to go, it will collect dust over time and probably burn out if I let it. The quality tig should last longer, of course. But the way I see it, any idiot can over work any machine and break it. Quality or not, the cheaper stuff just gives away sooner. So I let the machine cool down very often when welding. I found the torch cable is stiff cold and becomes flexable with use (heat). If it feels soft, I let it cool for a bit.

So I think a lot more can be said for how the operator treats the machine versus being made in China or not. Americans often make crappy stuff too. It seems if the operator abuses and breaks a device, it is a POS if made in China, it is a POS if made in America. Either way, people beat on teh maker for their own abusive policies. Funny, lol.

Comment

My unit came with the plasma cutter. For my application, I needed to cut 0.1" steel plate with curved features. And I'm sure the cutter will be vital in future projects.

I was prepared to encounter issues with the cheaper tig. Like the wrong regulator and sh1tty consumables.

Though, I only owned this tig for a few days now. And as things seem to go, it will collect dust over time and probably burn out if I let it. The quality tig should last longer, of course. But the way I see it, any idiot can over work any machine and break it. Quality or not, the cheaper stuff just gives away sooner. So I let the machine cool down very often when welding. I found the torch cable is stiff cold and becomes flexable with use (heat). If it feels soft, I let it cool for a bit.

So I think a lot more can be said for how the operator treats the machine versus being made in China or not. Americans often make crappy stuff too. It seems if the operator abuses and breaks a device, it is a POS if made in China, it is a POS if made in America. Either way, people beat on teh maker for their own abusive policies. Funny, lol.
                              No kidding!

Comment

Working...
                              X