Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

95 Grand Prix 3100 Cooling Fans. CFM? Amp draw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Grand Prix 3100 Cooling Fans. CFM? Amp draw?

I have a set of 2 cooling fans from a 95 Grand Prix with 3100. I want to use them in my 3.7L Dakota 4x4. I’ve already converted it from clutch fan to electric and I used the fan I had on hand at the time (and free) from a Nissan Sentra. It has worked fine and keeps the engine at just the same temp as the clutch fan did. I’ve had it on for months and I gained on average about 1-1.5 mpg. Which isn’t bad considering this truck only gets 15mpg.

Yesterday was brutally hot on the east coast and finally the Sentra fan showed its weakness. Sitting in traffic with the a/c on it couldn’t keep up and engine temps slowly ticked up. I let it get a few ticks above the ½ mark before I determined I’d rather be too hot than my engine and I shut the a/c off. With the a/c off it brought temps down in about 2 minutes to its norm.

I want to install these 2 fans from the w-body but I’m curious as to their individual cfm ratings. Regardless, I’m sure they’ll more than double the cfm of the single Sentra fan.

Second question – does anyone know the amperage draw of each of these fans? The circuit I made is good for 40 amps. I may add a 2nd relay/circuit as a failsafe in the event of a relay/fuse failure so I won’t lose both fans.
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

You know what I would do? Use a fan from a late model (94-96ish) Tbird. It's a single 2 speed fan and it's thinner than the DOHC fans, unless those are what you had on hand. I've often thought about nabbing one for my car but I think they are a little taller than the radiator in my car.

Either way I don't see either drawing 40 amps.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

after they're fully spooled, i doubt that the pair would draw 40 amps total. probably closer to 20. when they're getting up to speed though, i imagine more.

i would add a redundant relay, just in case.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I bet if you did the two speed fan, if you staggered turn on times/temps, that second fan kicking in wouldn't draw a whole lot since the blades are already turning.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

that's probably true....

the later GM dual fan stuff went from having two fans with only one speed to using a 3 relay setup to have both fans come on at low speed and both come on at high speed. same situation, less of a surge.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
            that's probably true....

the later GM dual fan stuff went from having two fans with only one speed to using a 3 relay setup to have both fans come on at low speed and both come on at high speed. same situation, less of a surge.
            Indeed, thats how my Vette works. But I believe it actually can control each fan independently. I know when I reprogrammed the PCM the software allowed me to pick individual on/off temps for each fan - it only has 2 fan relays though. They are much larger than regular fan relays so they may incorporate more than one switch within each. I was surprised to see that the factory programming in the Vette PCM will run the fans even at road speeds up to something around 80mph before it will kick them off! I didn't change that, but I did adust on/off temps to accomodate the lower temp thermostat.

Anyway, back to the truck:
            I know a lot of people love to use the Taurus 3.8 fan which is 2 speed and can flow something like 4000 cfm. I don't think the 2 W body fans will flow that much combined but then again I don't need that much. I'm guessing that combined they will flow somewhere in the ballpark of 2500-3000 cfm. I looked into the Taurus fan and it isn't cheap, ebay sellers have caught on that its a popular fan to use. The 1995 Grand Prix fans I already own.

I know at running speed the current draw shouldnt be 40 amps, but the startup draw could be quite high, especially since I only have 1 controller so both would kick on at the same time. I'll probably try it on the existing circuit, if it works once it should work every time (I hope!).
            1994 Corvette
            LT1/ZF6
            2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
            3.7/42RLE

Comment

Next time your engine starts to overheat in traffic, turn on the heater at full blast. It will augment the cooling system....it really does work. Only problem is the occupants will need to stick their heads out the window.
              1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                Next time your engine starts to overheat in traffic, turn on the heater at full blast. It will augment the cooling system....it really does work. Only problem is the occupants will need to stick their heads out the window.

Wouldn't want to put myself through it! Turning the a/c off was just enough to bring the temps right down. I neverl let the truck get close to overheating. It usually sits a tick or two below half, and in this instance I let it get about a tick or two above half before saying enough was enough.

Few more days and I should be able to install the GP fans. Epoxy coated the garage floor last week and can't drive on it just yet and don't feel much like working on it outside in the heat. Now that temps are more normal (for here) the truck has no problem cooling, but last week we had two days in teh 95-98 degree range that were problematic.
                1994 Corvette
                LT1/ZF6
                2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                3.7/42RLE

Comment

Working...
                X