Awesome Intake/exhaust concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Intake/exhaust concept

This is gonna take a few pics and some explaining. I think I'm onto something........

The concept is cooling the intake and combustion chamber gases drastically while heating the post-combustion gases. Making greater efficiencies and power.

Two proven mechanisms involved are.....

1- Hilsch Vortex Tube with Archemedes type vortex chamber. Injecting compressed air at 80 psi into a properly tuned hilsch vortex tube will push fire hot air out the hot side and freezing cold air out the cold side.

Ranque-Hilsch Vortex Tube.png
    hilsch234.gif

2- Schaubergers Vortexing Exhaust Egg- Spins up exhaust gases while buffering the impulses to a steady stream. While also producing a vacuum to draw another gas.

Schauberger_Vortex_Exhaust-01.png

The idea is to use the vacuum from the engine and the exhaust vortex egg to make a pressure difference across the Hilsch Tube hot and cold pipes. Simulating a positive pressure on the intake of the Hilsch Tube. I realize a pressure difference of 80 psi is not reasonable. However, temp differences of 30-40 degrees can still be accomplished with 20 psi pushed into the Hilsch Tube. The engine vacuum pulls on the cold side, the exhaust egg pulls on the hot side. The hilsch tube doesn't have a lot of restriction and can flow large amounts of air rapidly due to the vortex that has been measured to spin at roughly 1,000,000 rpm.

The engine injests cooler air making more power. The exhaust is heated to increase velocity. The vortexing egg will also decrease resistance improving exhaust flow. Even if the hot drawn side is still cooler then the exhaust gases it provides an effective vacuum to make the splitting of temps possible.

The point of entry in the Hilsch Vortex could be modified to act as a throttle. The increasing vacuum would provide greater cooling, greater efficiencies.

The exhaust egg is capable of drawing equally as much air as the exhaust stream itself. It is a 1:1 proportion.

This may actually work. A Hilsch Vortex can flow hundreds of CFM at 80 psi, with a pipe diameter of 3/4 inches. Scaled to size the engine will certainly be able to breath well enough.

This is something that really needs to be built to find out. Fortunately it isn't too complicated. Welding up the exhuast egg might be interesting though.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TGP37; 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

good luck packaging it into a FWD platform?

just like the 180* headers, i think that will be your biggest problem, assuming all of the work is worth the results.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      good luck packaging it into a FWD platform?

just like the 180* headers, i think that will be your biggest problem, assuming all of the work is worth the results.
      Not in my turbo...a beater for sure until it proves effective and safe. If I decided to build it, would be at least a year before I do.

I think building an upscaled Hilsch tube to flow at the same rate as the engine, then apply equivilant pressure difference to test temp differences. That is the easy part, if it fails, atleast I didn't waste time on a steel egg....lol
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Working...
      X