Highest MPG 60V6?? 36.8MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highest MPG 60V6?? 36.8MPG

My highest MPG tank was 36.8MPG US at 524 miles and 14.1 gallons.. beat that.

Hi there its been awhile since I posted but I finally felt up to it. I will include a link at the bottom to my first post where I describe my car better. For now...... 1995 Grand Am SE 3100 V6 auto trans with 344,000k miles(all original).

I purchased this car for my girlfriends first car for $250 needing a little work. After I got it going and she got it through her first winter(only 1 ditch dive and 1 snow plow!). She drove it through the summer after that and ended up buying a newer vehicle. By this time she had gotten it up to a little over 300k. Sadly I missed getting a picture of that milestone .

Anywho shortly after this I decided to use it as my winter car and see just how far it would go. Then I was introduced to Ecomodder and I became obsessed with efficiency and gas mileage. I learned that these motors/transmissions are extremely efficient if you do it right. I was able to achieve a best tank of 36.8MPG and a 90day average of 33.85mpg. I would have to say this is definitely one of the highest I've ever seen come from a V6 car of any sorts and with a automatic transmission.... Lately I have been pondering if I could go even further and into the 45+ range with some mods or a new car as a base for this. One with a manual transmission and gearing maybe some tuning too.

So heres my question what is your best TANK average for your 60degreev6.

Here is a link to my original post. http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...100-293k-miles

and here is a link to my Fuel Log showing every tank I filled up along with alot of good data!

with the monte carlo, 35.4.
    with the 90 3.1 GP, 37.6.

that's just tuning and maintenance, no hypermiling or anything like that.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

When I car was stock, I could get high 30's. I think Im gonna be lucky to get mid 20's now lol
      sigpic
      1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
      1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
      350/NV3500 5spd
      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Very nice. Are these on trips? All of my tanks have been on home-work commute. Minimal highway mostly just backroads all the way in. So many people tell me these numbers are impossible in a V6 its nice to know there are other capable of pulling down some insane numbers. Wish I could tune . I swear if I had a motor with half the miles I could see 38 easily. Currently I'm driving my 01 Aurora with the 3.5l Lx5tho. Wish my GA had a 5spd haha.

Comment

very few "trips" for me, mostly running the 25 miles to and 25 miles from town whenever i need something.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

My 91 grand prix 3.1 SE hit 40 mpg all highway, going though texas.This was 10 years ago though so maybe gas?
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

the texas heat would help as well, hotter air is less dense, so less resistance both going into the engine and over the body.

not sure if ethanol was popular then or not.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I didn't see ethanol everywhere like I do today, but that doesn't mean it wasn't in there already. It was summer so certainly warm out. Fully loaded car, moving to AZ for college:P I don't think we really stopped much on that tank either. It was high 30s the whole time on the open road. Wish my GP had a 3.1 in it now just for MPG.
                Ben
                60DegreeV6.com
                WOT-Tech.com

Comment

trade LQ1 for LH0?
                  Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Sold LQ1 and I want a 3400 in the wagon, which has a 3.1 in it. Hmmm. Id rather 3100 it with a 2.8 crank. WEEEEEEEEEE!
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

So what did you guys use to determine your gas mileage? I calculate it with miles driven divided by gallons pumped of course but also have a MPGUINO which is a Instant MPG computer that resembles a Scangauge II but works in any vehicle with fuel injection that I dialed in down to the 1/10th of a gallon of gas.

Anybody take a look at my fuel log data?

Comment

fill tank and reset trip odometer, empty tank, fill tank and reset trip odometer, calc real MPG. the MC has a fuel filler neck leak though, so i do get at least a little better than what my result is implying. i'm trying to get a fuel economy calculation to work via scan data, and while i can get perfect instantaneous MPG results, i can't seem to get an average MPG function that's accurate, all of the methods i've tried are considerably off in either direction. i can get the data to agree with the odometer for a miles driven calc, but as far as gallons used, that seems to be the tricky part.

i took a look at the link, nice and consistent.

i'll have a cutlass supreme DIS soon enough to do all that for me.
                        Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                          while i can get perfect instantaneous MPG results
                          So my car really is capable of 2mpg while accelerating, lol.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                          Originally posted by Jay Leno
                          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

enough throttle at a low enough speed? yes, 2MPG is realistic.
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I've averaged 12 mpg on a tank before as well. I was having fun that day

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                              Originally posted by Jay Leno
                              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
                              X