Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for in vehicle gun safe

Looked around and I found this one, LINK

It is perfect for my Wifes SUV, but the turbo it is a little bulky...maybe.

I like how it has a 4 button pattern lock and opens with the gun ready to pull.

I realized, with a concealed permit, I can't go every where while armed and would need a safe place to stash my gun in car. I have kids and I can't just walk into a school armed like that, even if I am legal.

Any recommendations? I want to be able to reach the weapon fast, for obvious reasons. But don't want kids able to reach it or an accident discharging the gun/rounds.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

"For Obvious Reasons" WTF is Predator after you? I guess I really cannot comment. To shoot a handgun I had to go to Vegas.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Seriously things are getting BAD in the "burgh" Like Baltimore there are places you dont want to be a stranger at night And people getting held up in stores on camera . They work in pairs or more and usually have a female with them and will grab your child and threaten to kidnap We have had a rash here also and the police wont do anything for fear of retaliation. Local state park here is "Gang territory" And 2 were beaten for sitting at "their " picnic tables this summer I live an hour away from TGP37 and visit pittsburgh often ( GF is from there ) And have seen people mugged at Heinz Field recently. If that Vault is mounted under the package try vertically I think it would work

Comment

Wow I guess in Canada we take things for granted. When I had a car with t-tops I used to leave them off all the time and never worried about anything being stolen.
        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Yeah, but a gun is something you can't leave unsecured and glove boxes aren't the proper place either.

No real direct threat but unchained knows....shit happens and I'm not gonna get caught helpless. Honestly, I'm not the gun slinger type. But I will be if it means life or death.

Just another safety device like fire extinguishers or life vests on water. That's how I view pesonal defense weapons, when dealth with properly.
          1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Fear of retaliation? Dubyuh tee eff! They are the law, it's their job to protect the public!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              Fear of retaliation? Dubyuh tee eff! They are the law, it's their job to protect the public!

This post is a bit confusing.....

Comment

Originally posted by unchained01 View Post
                We have had a rash here also and the police wont do anything for fear of retaliation. Local state park here is "Gang territory" And 2 were beaten for sitting at "their " picnic tables this summer

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                Read in order you'll get it. And Pocket-Rocket, as dumb as it sounds it is true... some authorities just let the criminals run the town in fear... they need more power and support to eradicate them and well we just can't supply it since no one wants to pay taxes to support their own towns needs... INCLUDING public safety. Or those in charge don't know how to run the show and direct funds to all the wrong places.

It may be true, things are getting bad in certain areas but some people just take things to the extreme... Granted your looking for a proper way to safely store the weapon in your vehicle which is really intelligent on your part vs some others who just slap it in their glove box. But the need to have the safe be a quick/open and quick draw I think is just going a bit far. A simple place to store the weapon that is locked I would think is enough... no matter how quick it is to "pull" from the safe they is always going to be a code or a key you will have to fumble with to get it open unless you eliminate the locking mechanism...

If you want to be fully prepared all the time, become a cop... Hell carrying a weapon like that makes you just as much of a target now as a police officer, soon as you go to pull the person who is threatening you has all the more reason to shoot you first were as he might not have before.

All this gun talk just makes me think of the local story in CT where a father shot a "suspect" who was "breaking" into his neighbors house and lurched at him with a "shiny weapon" only to find out it was his own son he shot and KILLED... Learn to shoot a weapon to DISABLE people. That's my biggest argument about civilians having a gun, they seem to shoot to kill and that's it.

Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM.

Got Lope?
                3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I completely agree 3400-Modified about safety and disabling the threat. My first rule is avoid the conflict entirely, only use it if it means your life. Which is why I considered a fast grab because I am the type to not pull it out until it is almost too late.

Comment

Talk it out. It's wtf spelled out.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Talk it out. It's wtf spelled out.

lol, I got that part, lol. I meant the retaliation part. Then I realized what it was in response too....and now I feel silly.

I'm thinking this safe could be rigged to rest inside the arm rest compartment in the GP. But if it is small enough, under the dash and out of direct line of sight would be nice. The wifes SUV is easy, a ton of room.

I think the safe is more for my peace of mind cause I really don't like guns in plain view. Even with a concealed permit it is strange to carry.

My theory is if I have it, I won't need it. But if I don't have it, then I WILL need it.

Other safes are good but I don't like key locks. Because in a car it's probably on the key chain in the ignition and if you need it but don't want to turn off the car, your screwed.
                      Last edited by TGP37; 10-01-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

What about a tazer? Then you can disable the threat right away and ask questions later.
                        1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                        1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                        Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                          What about a tazer? Then you can disable the threat right away and ask questions later.
                          Tazers are partially effective and don't always work. Plus it only works with one target.

If I got to pull it out there are no more questions I want to ask.

Besides, owning a gun is a good thing if your responsible with it. Just like fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, life vests...it is a tool of safety.

Comment

Just like fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, life vests...it is a tool of safety.
                            Not quite a fair comparison because you can take someone else's life with a gun...

And one huge problem I see in every story of someone killing someone in self defense is the huge list of questions that go unanswered... Not a situation you want to be in.

Got Lope?
                            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                              If you want to be fully prepared all the time, become a cop... Hell carrying a weapon like that makes you just as much of a target now as a police officer, soon as you go to pull the person who is threatening you has all the more reason to shoot you first were as he might not have before.

All this gun talk just makes me think of the local story in CT where a father shot a "suspect" who was "breaking" into his neighbors house and lurched at him with a "shiny weapon" only to find out it was his own son he shot and KILLED... Learn to shoot a weapon to DISABLE people. That's my biggest argument about civilians having a gun, they seem to shoot to kill and that's it.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/con...kCP/story.html
                              Nothing wrong with being prepared and being a responsible gun owner.
                              Proper training goes along way..... the key is not to shoot and ask questions, but to be able to identify a threat and discharge your weapon as a last resort.
                              I personally would rather know that I did what I could to protect my self or my family than become a statistic. I would rather have unanswered questions than leave my family to deal with unanswered questions about my death or to have to live with knowing that I didn't do everything possible to save my wife or child.

As far as being trained not to hit kill spots but only injure .... studies have proven in stressful situations that even skilled shooters will not be as accurate as in a non stressful situation. If you are looking to only injure and not kill you better not pull the trigger to begin with or be shooting rubber bullets.

Seriously..... "If you want to be fully prepared all the time you need to become a cop" this is the funniest thing I have read all day.
                              I know several cops that will tell you that they are "not gun guys" and that they only do the required training by their department. These same officers do not carry while off duty, therefore they are not prepared "all the time". I also know several people that are not LEO or Military that have grown up around guns and have taken training courses that in my opinion are better trained than the majority of law enforcement officers.

I also fail to see how carrying a gun makes you as much as a target as a cop.
                              If you are keeping your weapon concealed in a good holster, in most cases you will be the only one that knows you have a gun.
                              Example of a good holster demonstrated by female wearing normal clothes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfFunO7dyw&feature=plcp

The situations where parents take the lives of their own children are very unfortunate, however in many cases we only hear what the news tells us. In many if not all cases proper training in identifying a target, giving the person a chance to surrender or identify themselves, and what circumstances warrant pulling the trigger would have helped immensely.
                              Last edited by onefastV6; 10-04-2012, 08:18 AM.
                              2000 Grand Am GT
                              2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

Working...
                              X