DIY - Backyard Metal Casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY - Backyard Metal Casting

Had to share this one. Inspired by a member who had custom casts for a supercharger, I found this very well done series of videos explaining how easy it can be to cast your own parts.

This can open up doors to all kinds of custom creations.

I've watched up to 11 so far and I got a good understanding how to cast aluminum. For the low start up costs, I feel it is well worth it. Especially if your molds work well and sell. Making adapters for SC's are quite possible. Along with any other special custom piece.

Link to videos
    Last edited by TGP37; 11-14-2012, 12:38 PM.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

We have a man here set up for doing casts.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

when I get a minute to watch, I'm going to, looks neat! thanks for sharing!
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
        Had to share this one. Inspired by a member who had custom casts for a supercharger, I found this very well done series of videos explaining how easy it can be to cast your own parts.

This can open up doors to all kinds of custom creations.

I've watched up to 11 so far and I got a good understanding how to cast aluminum. For the low start up costs, I feel it is well worth it. Especially if your molds work well and sell. Making adapters for SC's are quite possible. Along with any other special custom piece.

Link to videos
        Watch "Part 18" there, cantilever mold. That's what is necessary to do my MP90 inlet casting in one shot -- that requires a three-piece mold, with a core.

Mine were cast from a 2-piece ( left and right half) pattern with no core, then welded together by the foundry. The outlet was cast from a one-piece pattern, and required some taper so the pattern could lift out of the mold.
        1999 GLS MP90 supercharged / 2003 GL MP62 supercharged / 2004 GLS stock
        Magnuson MP90 / TOG's / 3 in. Magnaflow exhaust / MSD ignition / LS1 MAF / Racetronix pump / HP Tuners / TCE 68mm TB / 36 lb Inj
        = Best track time: 12.951 @ 104.48, 1.839 60 ft. (Beech Bend Raceway Park, 11-23-13), 50 Deg. F
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Comment

We need some input from Jerryrigg here. I have seen him around lately

Comment

anyone else have a high school metal shop flashback?
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
              I remember stick welding boxes but no casting.

I would like to cast stainless steel as well but unfortunately I think that is out of my range atm. Stainless steel being really hot to melt.
              1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                I took electronics.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Metal shop, Wood shop, Welding & Advanced welding here... I saved the Electronics for college. haha

We made several things out of aluminum, pretty much the same process in the videos but with proper safety equipment.

One of our weekly jobs was unloading scrap aluminum and melting it down to make ingots. I think i still have one somewhere.
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

yeah ninth grade flash back here I still have the casting here somewhere

Comment

just watched 1-9, I'll have my custom intake soon enough!
                      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                        just watched 1-9, I'll have my custom intake soon enough!
                        That's cool man! I want a cupola furnace but I think I'm better off casting aluminum first with a basic, backyard casting furnace.

Casting steel for exhaust manifolds, parts, etc would be fun.

Comment

I might make one before I leave, if nothing else, I may start work on the cores.

Comment

instructions on how to make the burner...

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                              instructions on how to make the burner...

https://sites.google.com/site/gypsyt...to/make-a-mako
                              Pretty cool there, I have a bunch of old plasma cutter tips and ceramic cups. Though I think I'm going to purchase a forging furnace. Nothing too large, just enough to get started and practice. And be able to melt down all the scrap aluminum intake pipe pieces left over. You know, the useless pieces to small or awkward to use.

I was wondering if a turbo could be used to drive air into a furnace. Can't see why not. That would be funny, turbocharged furnace.

Comment

Working...
                              X