No announcement yet.

Most versatile welding gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nylon or a spring, the problem, it's when the wire hits the part it will often get stuck inside the tube. That's why the spool gun goes right through the torch only.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

The best way to do it is a push/pull gun but its not as quick to switch out. You can also get a nylon liner and really short gun which will work just fine but you wont be walking around the garage with it.

There is a technique you have to learn with aluminum. First you ALWAYS PUSH even down hand. When welding you want to move forward and stop, let the weld zone fill, you will hear the sound change, then move forward about 1/4" and repeat. You have to do it quite quickly but once you get the hang of it its like riding a bike. Chewing gum while welding is a good way to keep a rhythm.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
        The best way to do it is a push/pull gun but its not as quick to switch out. You can also get a nylon liner and really short gun which will work just fine but you wont be walking around the garage with it.

There is a technique you have to learn with aluminum. First you ALWAYS PUSH even down hand. When welding you want to move forward and stop, let the weld zone fill, you will hear the sound change, then move forward about 1/4" and repeat. You have to do it quite quickly but once you get the hang of it its like riding a bike. Chewing gum while welding is a good way to keep a rhythm.

I was "pigtailing" in a pushing motion, seemed to work pretty good, but I think I may have moved a little too fast. I'm going to order a nylon liner and rollers for aluminum and give is another shot.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Don't "pigtail" or do cursive "e's" you should never weld back on your puddle on any process. The method I described called "whip and pause" is the most accepted way of making successful aluminum welds. It also gives you the stack of dimes look.

When you get your liner and rolls use a very low tension and keep the gun as straight as possible. This sometimes means using blocks of wood or saw horses to keep the whip elevated.
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
            Don't "pigtail" or do cursive "e's" you should never weld back on your puddle on any process. The method I described called "whip and pause" is the most accepted way of making successful aluminum welds. It also gives you the stack of dimes look.

When you get your liner and rolls use a very low tension and keep the gun as straight as possible. This sometimes means using blocks of wood or saw horses to keep the whip elevated.
            Thanks for the pointers!
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Working...
            X