No announcement yet.

Most versatile welding gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a cheap flux welder at one point and it would trip my 20amp garage outlet with it's full 90amps at the gun. Takes voltage to make voltage, you are in fact limited by the 120v, specially because a 120v oulet can only go to 20amps. The TIG will occasionally pop the 60amp double breaker at the shop when over 200amps welding output.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      I had a cheap flux welder at one point and it would trip my 20amp garage outlet with it's full 90amps at the gun. Takes voltage to make voltage, you are in fact limited by the 120v, specially because a 120v oulet can only go to 20amps. The TIG will occasionally pop the 60amp double breaker at the shop when over 200amps welding output.
      The Pro-mig 180 is 230V not 120. I probably won't buy another 110V welder. I ended up getting the welder I was looking at for $430 out the door. not as good of a deal as I hoped for, but a good one non the less.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

What one?
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

What one?
          The one I Linked to earlier in this thread, the Lincoln Pro Mig 180
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

The TIG will occasionally pop the 60amp double breaker at the shop when over 200amps welding output.
            What in god's name are you building to pull that much amperage on a tig?

Got Lope?
            3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
            Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
            Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
            12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
              What in god's name are you building to pull that much amperage on a tig?
              5/8" steel brush guard for a 4-wheel ATV.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

5/8" steel brush guard for a 4-wheel ATV.
                Thats not 60* or BMW related, you did that off work hours correct? If your boss finds out your using company materials on personal projects your ass will be canned....

Got Lope?
                12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Brush guard or ramming bumper!!!
                  I am running a Hobart TIG Mate and will trip double 50's but so far only welding alum cases or pans- pretty much wide open to get the heat I need on the bigger stuff.

Comment

HAHA!

it can be done without a spoolgun! but a spoolgun would make things so much easier!

Comment

Did you feed aluminum wire full length through a mig gun?

Got Lope?

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                        Did you feed aluminum wire full length through a mig gun?
                        That's not a good idea. The first time it boogers up in the tip, it will double up inside the torch feed and get stuck.
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

That's not a good idea. The first time it boogers up in the tip, it will double up inside the torch feed and get stuck.
                          Agreed, but how else could he have done it without a spool gun?

Got Lope?

Comment

yeah, I spent more time fixing birdnests than I did welding! I'm going to get a spool gun before I try again.

Comment

This is the only downfall of my welder... I have no idea if I could find the spool gun addition for it since its so old and the TIG I got is only DC... I've seen them selling on e-bay complete with the spool gun but for an obnoxious cost. Then again I really don't need to weld aluminum often at all.

Got Lope?

Comment

Man, that looks OK as long as it penetrated, which by the looks of it it did.

You can grind that to perfection, easily.

I was thinking of buying a nylon liner for my MIG and going to town with it and try aluminum.
                                11.92 @ 122 MPH 3400 91 Cavalier Z24 Intercooled S/C. -totalled-
                                10.56 @ 130 MPH 3900 LZ9 87 IROC Z28 Intercooled GT4088 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X