The 90 Degree Is Not Dead Yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 90 Degree Is Not Dead Yet!

The 3800 is officially dead and the 60 Degree V6 had become the flagship V6 for GM. It was used in everything from FWD family sedans to RWD Sports cars.

The 4.3L was relegated to contractor fleet vehicles like vans and WT 1500 Pickups. But now GM has finally given in a facelift. It was basically the same motor from 1996 and only got a few NVH upgrades and a coil pack ignition instead of a distributor. NOW it is fully based off the GEN V architecture and has all the same features like direct injection, VVT and Cylinder Deactivation. It will shut down just two cylinders to become a V4 when 6 are not needed. It is now all aluminum instead of all iron. Sounds like a V6 monster and should become a popular swap into mini trucks and 4X4's in about 5 to 10 years.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Sounds like it's going to be pretty sweet!
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

not surprising.... the 4.3 has been powering a LOT of trucks for a very long time... lot of money to be made off of it still.

it's too bad GM didn't try to punch and stroke the 3.6 into the 4.3 range though... maybe give it a more low-RPM friendly intake and cams... or just boost it into the necessary power/torque like what Ford did with the Ecoboost F150.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

There are rumours of a twin turbo 3.6 as well. I'm interested to see how much power that would make.
        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

the cadillac flagship(not the XTS, something above it) is SUPPOSED to get the twin-turbo 3.6 engine.... according to rumors from a source on the GMInsiderNews forum.

since Ford has already implimented it, GM playing catch-up wouldn't surprise me.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

According to GM they did not want to do the small TT V6 for the trucks. They describe the new engine line as truck engines designed to be used like truck engines. Low end grunt and as much fuel economy as they could get. They are not high strung car engines dropped into a truck. The Eco Boost may have good numbers on paper but it SUCKS for towing. I know two people who have them who now wish they bought the V8. Boost is pretty much a requirement when towing a descent load and with boost goes fuel. Lots of it. They also complain of the high rpm required to make it up the hills.

I think GM is on the right track with the new engines. Its also nice that they all belong to the same engine family and share a bunch of parts. Now if all the truck manufacturers would wake up and sell a 1500 series diesel!
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
              I think GM is on the right track with the new engines. Its also nice that they all belong to the same engine family and share a bunch of parts. Now if all the truck manufacturers would wake up and sell a 1500 series diesel!
              THIS.
              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

It would be interesting to see how much the V6 weighs and what transmissions they are using with them.
                And yes, a light duty diesel is long overdue.

Ken

Comment

It's supposed to be using the same bellhousing as the new lt1, so in theory there should be a few different transmission options.
                  '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
                    The 3800 is officially dead and the 60 Degree V6 had become the flagship V6 for GM. It was used in everything from FWD family sedans to RWD Sports cars.
                    I've got the 4.3l in my 2002 S-10. Great engine, but I've read a lot of negativity from the V8 guys about it, in general. But I'm glad to hear it will live on in upgraded form. It is a survivor.

Comment

Its the last Pushrod/OHV V6 left!
                      2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

Comment

Working...
                      X