Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Idea - Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Idea - Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)

Was browsing Grainger and noticed this special little item.

PLC
    Pressure Switch

Using a switch, triggered when boost is present, can trigger the PLC to do many neat functions.

Like turn on secondary fuel system, trigger timing delay, power up water/meth pump, time allowed boost, sequenced boost controlling......seems endless ideas.

Operating on 12-24 VDC is perfect.

6 inputs, 4 outputs

I really think I might buy one just to mess with it, see what I can do with it. Not too expensive. Probably test redundant switching and timers.

Could probably make one bad ass timer circuit for light dimming, turbo timer. Or trigger all 4 windows to open, plus sun roof with 1 switch.
    Last edited by TGP37; 01-20-2013, 12:32 PM.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

depending on what kind of programming experience you have, a simple Arduino would be able to do so much more for a lot less money.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      depending on what kind of programming experience you have, a simple Arduino would be able to do so much more for a lot less money.
      That I will look into.....

edit: Bingo, that's what I am looking for! Thanks man, great find for me today.
      Last edited by TGP37; 01-20-2013, 04:15 PM.
      1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Ardunio's use structured text only, as far as i know. Ladder logic looks closer to actual wiring circuits and is fairly easy to learn. Plenty of videos on youtube. Ardunio's operate mostly at 5 volts so there is more custom wiring compaired to a 12 volt PLC.

The benifit of the ardunio is it's wide variety of inputs/outputs and comms compaired to a PLC at a low price. Once you stray from discretes on a PLC your looking at big bucks.

I use Koyo PLC's at home. They're fairly cheap and less wiring for a cleaner look.
        Baby: 2010 Power Wagon. Katzkins, mopar side steps and 35" Duratracs.
        Daily: 1995 Monte Z34 3.4/4T60e.
        Farm: 1978 2500 Jimmy Snow-plow & 1992 GMC SLE 4x4 ex cab short box 1/2 ton. RV cam straight pipe. Currently installing a 4L80e (have blown 4 700r4's and 1 4L60e)
        Project: Beretta GTZ 2.3 HO/282 (Better one), 1992 GTP 3.4/284? (needs 284) & 1992 Lumina Z34 3.4/284. (Don't want to mile out, needs body work)
        Other: TO MANY!

Comment

What are you trying to do with Arduino or PLC?

Comment

I'm using a PLC to run my air compressor. A second one to control my redneck security if the snow would piss off.
            Farm: 1978 2500 Jimmy Snow-plow & 1992 GMC SLE 4x4 ex cab short box 1/2 ton. RV cam straight pipe. Currently installing a 4L80e (have blown 4 700r4's and 1 4L60e)
            Project: Beretta GTZ 2.3 HO/282 (Better one), 1992 GTP 3.4/284? (needs 284) & 1992 Lumina Z34 3.4/284. (Don't want to mile out, needs body work)

Comment

What ever comes to mind. Anti-lag, multiple EGT's cheaper, etc....

I have one project I need to control a bleed valve at specific TPS, Speed and MAP conditions. I can use an IAC as the motored valve, I just need to define specific controls. It is an anti-lag device like no other. Because it is so freaking awesome I am not posting anything too revealing about it until I can protect my intellectual ideas.

I also have a few proximity switches and I think I can make a set-up that can tell the PCM what gear the manual is in. Or at least define between P/N, 1-5 and R.

Comment

Yah sounds like a project. TPS and MAP would be analog inputs. You'd be better off with an Ardunio but you could do it with a PLC. As you add more analog channels the price of the PLC's rise. I'm sure they have a pulsed input module for speed. Not to mention size most PLC's are bulky.

Have you picked one up yet. I've thought about gettin one just to mess around with but I try to limit the amount of text based programming that I do. I prefer ladder or function blocks. My favorite Ardunio device has to be the automatic can crusher on youtube.

I use Koyo Click PLC's, there cheap and the software is free. They also ship free to Canada which is a show stopper for some other ones. Mine has 2 analog inputs, 2 analog outputs (software configed to 0-10 volts or 0/4-20 mA), 4 24v discrete inputs and 4 relay outputs. More discrete's can be added up to 7 additional cards.

Here is a youtube link to a vid of my air compressor. I have since added a temp transmitter to the discharge, it's an old unit and I don't want to cook it. And I beefed the unloader up to a 3/8 NPT full flow valve (don't have to sweep behind it anymore).

Here is a video of our air compressor in our shop. Wanted a automatic drain valve and the mechanical unloader/on off switch kept failing. Bought and installe...

Comment

Analog, yes. Especially with the MAF dealing with frequency.

I also have a spare MAF sensor and considered metering the BOV discharge and subtracting that from the metered air. Allowing the BOV to sit pre-MAF. How ever that can be accomplished, haven't dealt with specifics yet.

Cool thing about my anti-lag concept is it is all cool side. No exhaust work, few moving parts.

I haven't purchased either yet. Arduino seems to be the best for the job.

Your air compressor is sweet. I can really appreciate custom DIY work.

Comment

Thanks on the compressor, why buy when you can build? If you like DYI. You should see my automatic beer can crusher. No PLC on it. (everyone and there dog already built one of those) It is completely powered/controlled by 105 psi of air. It looks a little rough but I built it out of scrap and used parts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibtTlTdCZ0s or my beer cooler hauler, profile pic. Youtube vids on it too.

Yah exhaust sucks. F'in rust. I've never modded my LQ1's but the twin walled exhaust tubing on the 2.8 and 3.1 cav's suck.

I kinda get what your trying to do. Should be sweet if you can get it to work. I've never had a turboed vehicle yet. Might get one in the future. For what I want to with my old cars the availability of the 3.8 s/c will suit my needs better. But if a TGP or older turboed GM shows up for a decent price I'll scoop it and play abit.

First I need my tools though, then OBD1 software then I can play with boost.

Comment

Working...
                    X