Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whats the value of a real 1987 Celebrity VR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So whats the value of a real 1987 Celebrity VR?

Yesterday in my travels, my dad and I stopped by a machine/ hydraulic shop to
    see about opening up my 17's so they'll fit the car. Sadly they didnt have a
    lathe bigger enough to handle my wheels but a couple of old grizzly biker type
    dudes come out and start checking out my VR. Of course they have never seen
    anything like it and were impressed by its story. One guy was so impressed he
    offered to trade my car for my choice of a 1970 Mustang w/ a 351, an 85 Corvette
    (the body style I really like), or a couple other cars I cant think of. And he
    was serious!! Title for title!
    I ended up walking away from the deal telling the guy I had to think about
    it. Honestly, I have a strong feeling my VR is gonna stay in my driveway were I
    can keep an eye on it.

Jeremiah
    Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Hagerty's won't insure them, which is funny since it's one of GM's lowest production 80s cars.

The value is typically 20-50% over a comparable plain Eurosport *IF* it's really nice. Me, I'd rather have the even plainer base model. Granny fresh and all. It could be fast, it could be a Duke, or it could be just another Celebrity. You don't know until you go. With a VR, it's probably bone stock so it's easily beaten.

You don't want a C4 Corvette, they're just as cheaply made as any garden-variety Camaro. The C5 is better. The C3, especially pre-73 models, is MUCH better.

I can get a running driving '84 'Vette for under $3000 in almost any state in the union. Sure it might need paint but that's what PlastiDip is for.
    Alan Moore | Wichita Falls, TX
    00 Suburban | 95 Cutlass Ciera | 76 Gran Torino

Comment

Yea, thats kinda strange but there are other insurance companies out there.

As for whats it worth to me, it would take 8k to get it as is. Restored, I wouldnt take less than 15k. Thats based on an ad on eurosportvr.com for an 88 (plain jane interior) which the guys asking 12k for his UNdocumented VR. One of my dreams is to get an '86 celeb coupe to transform into a VR/RS clone. Sure, think it could be a stock VR. But when you factor in the twin engine all wheel drive 1600hp monster, well, its anything but stock.

I aggree, the vettes are prety to look at but the quality control just isnt there. Plus, it would be hard to carry a load of 2x4x10's in a vette.
      Tuning a car is full of compromises. You must decide if you are willing to give up either reliability, performance, or a whole load of cash. Also remember that repairs will seem to come up much more often as you strive for even more performance

Comment

i had a couple of those cars but not teh VRs very cool.

Comment

I didn't even know those existed. Truthfully, I would say the value is in line with limited edition stuff GM had in the 80's and 90's like the Cavalier X10 or the Turbo GP. A good $5000 if the car isn't beat up, 100% stock, no blemish and low miles. More mileage obviously would drop the value but I would say that's the ballpark even if its a bit optimistic. What exactly are the specs of your VR? That would help a lot to help you judge...

Comment

Working...
          X