Proof even green coolant will eat stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof even green coolant will eat stuff

This is proof even green coolant can eat stuff if not cared for correctly.

This is the coolant neck the thermostat for my truck goes in on the front of the engine.

Note, when I got the truck it had 170k on it and the coolant was a nasty nasty brown, so I figure means it was original...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Files
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Side note, you can't see it, but the reason you see light from it at the top of the pic is I have my 3 watt single LED flashlight in there.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

i thought that looked familiar.... i just changed the thermostat in the 92 ranger a month ago. if i had seen that.... i would probably be looking for someone else to own it.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Got another from Eagle Auto parts in Three Rivers today and all is well. Also picked up what looks like a practically new muffler with maybe 10-15k miles on it for the wife's Mountaineer since her old one is too thin to weld the leak shut on. Too thin to weld seems to be a common issue with Fords here lately...

My ranger is in decent shape for the age. Actually with me fixing all of the common rust items like shackle and cab mounts it's probably one of the most solid ones around here despite 224k on the clock. That 2.3 reminds me more and more like the iron duke. Keep oil, gas and coolant in it and its happy and won't die. Mine idles and runs great, I can't justify getting rid of it, especially with gas prices lately.

Last edited by pocket-rocket; 06-04-2013, 05:32 PM.
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

makes about as much power too.

but it does have the interesting dual plug design that everyone hates doing maintenance on.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I would rather change a belt on it and do maintenance on it over my car. Well, I would if I got to drive my car on a normal basis, lol.

And yeah, lol98hp. At least it can't overpower anything and break stuff before it wears out, lol.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I'm confused... it looks like that rusted externally more than internally... The exterior of that pipe is not smooth it's pitted badly.

Either way you should always use distilled water in conjunction with your coolant of choice, that will eliminate the chance of any crap buildup.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

The inside is just as impressive as the outside.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                X