Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 dohc swap to a volvo 740!

Hey guys!

Well my friend has a 1990 Volvo 740 sedan, he had blown the engine, any way we were thinking about swapping my 3.4 out of my old gp I wrecked and putting it in his Volvo. I had some questions (if this is even possible). First would his tranny in his Volvo work on it? I know that I will need the computer, wiring and all of that. The biggest thing on this is if the trans will work or not? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!
    gulf blue 1999 Grand prix GTP coupe

adapt the bellhousing if necessary, sure. Worth it? absolutely not.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Those are RWD right?

If so I have a 700R4 that will bolt right up to your 3.4 DOHC, all you'll need to do is grab a torque converter for it. Has a modified TransGO shift kit from Probuilt Auto and a Corvette Servo already installed.

Could be a fun project if there is enough engine bay room for that big DOHC.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

The ZF4hp22 automatic in the volvo is a POS. Save for the 700r4 or 4l60 that will bolt up. You also need a Yoke from the doner trans to mate with the new drive shaft you need to make.
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Hmmm this is a first... usually people run away from the LQ1 unless you have a Fiero.

Anyways, the best way to do this would be to swap everything GM power component into the Volvo. An RWD GM trans (because the 740 was RWD), a bellhousing that will bolt the 3.4 to the new trans, computer, and all wiring. It would get tough with the gauge cluster and you would probably need your own motor/trans mounts, but other than that I don't see why you shouldn't do it. As others have said, the 700R4 or a 4L60 would be a good choice. Don't get the 4L60E since that relies on the PCM/ECU to work. The 700R4 would probably be the easiest to do. You would probably have to gear the rear end of that Volvo to accept the 700R4 though. I don't think that would be plug in a new yoke and drive.

As always post pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Nas Escobar View Post
            Don't get the 4L60E since that relies on the PCM/ECU to work.
            The stock ECM from a DOHC car could run it just fine. The auto that came with most DOHC was a 4T60E.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              The stock ECM from a DOHC car could run it just fine. The auto that came with most DOHC was a 4T60E.

If I'm not mistaken that was the only one that was available. Wouldn't the ECM make the trans shift funny though? I would think that the 4T60E and the 4L60E are geared very differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Nas Escobar View Post
                If I'm not mistaken that was the only one that was available. Wouldn't the ECM make the trans shift funny though? I would think that the 4T60E and the 4L60E are geared very differently.
                They may be geared differently, but that could be taken care of in the ECM easy enough with a chip burner.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                Originally posted by Jay Leno
                Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

4L60E has a pressure control solenoid, 4T60E doesn't. while the code COULD be adapted to control it, kind of a pain to do.
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Plenty of Volvo guys adapting GM auto's to the Volvo plant. That tells you something right there. GM trans will fit with minor massage work. (small sledge)
                    I have a 4RW70 (Ford) in a Volvo. That's as big or bigger than a 700R4.

Comment

i seem to remember volvos of that vintage having overly strong manual transmissions? am i remembering this wrong?
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                      X